<< LINK2SD GUIDE >> (UPDATED PLEASE READ)

Guest tillaz

it means safely eject the drive in windows system tray (near the clock)

thanks. haven't been doing that so hopefully no damage done. as it happens, this PC i'm using seems to have a persistent problem with that system tray icon appearing at every reboot - in relation to USB devices even when none are attached and they've already been ejected previously.

will start doing this in relation to the phone though. cheers.

Guest dibbles

thanks. haven't been doing that so hopefully no damage done. as it happens, this PC i'm using seems to have a persistent problem with that system tray icon appearing at every reboot - in relation to USB devices even when none are attached and they've already been ejected previously.

will start doing this in relation to the phone though. cheers.

It is not a persistent problem but a function.! :)

If you are removing a device you are always supposed to right click on the USB symbol in the system tray to eject the device first. This applies to every USB peripheral on your PC and even hot pluggable SATA devices, providing they are supported.

It is not a persistent problem but a function.! :)

If you are removing a device you are always supposed to right click on the USB symbol in the system tray to eject the device first. This applies to every USB peripheral on your PC and even hot pluggable SATA devices, providing they are supported.

Yes, but even on a normal boot up, when no USB devices are attached or previously attached USB devices have been ejected prior to powerdown, I still get the icon in the system tray about safely removing hardware.

So you should, it is working correctly.

So I get a message that it's safe to remove hardware, which I then do, then power off. And when powering on several hours later with no devices attached I get the same message? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Guest dibbles

So I get a message that it's safe to remove hardware, which I then do, then power off. And when powering on several hours later with no devices attached I get the same message? Doesn't make any sense to me.

You did not post that though in your last posting.

You mentioned the icon in the system tray which is perfectly normal.

You now mention that you get a message.

I get no message at all unless I hover my mouse over the icon, which I can then use a right click option to safely remove hardware and eject media.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Redstarr1

This guide worked fine for me, but now I can't link any more apps, don't know why. Every time I install a new app (or update an older one using the market), Link2SD tries to link it, but i get the following error:

create_link.com.google.android.apps.

translate: cannot create /data/

sdext2/dalvik-cache/

data@[email protected].

[email protected]:

read-only file system

(that was for Google Translate)

or for Shoot the Apple I had the following error:

mkdir failed for /data/sdext2/data/

com.droidhen.shootapple. Read-only

file system

That's read-only file system twice, did something change to my file system perhaps, and how can I change this back?

Edited by Redstarr1

@redstar: I had the same problem as well yesterday but it was solved after a reboot...

@Geeks Squad: link2SD creates a seperate partition on your SD card, when you "link" an app with link2SD, it moves the app and all the data that belongs to it to the SD card and it creates a link (a Unix/Linux terminology, it's like a shortcut in windows) to the new place. The difference with the normal "move to SD" option is that in the latter one the application itself has to support it explicitly. Link2SD works always, whether the developer supports it or not.

Guest Redstarr1
<br />@redstar: I had the same problem as well yesterday but it was solved after a reboot...<br /><br />@Geeks Squad: link2SD creates a seperate partition on your SD card, when you &quot;link&quot; an app with link2SD, it moves the app and all the data that belongs to it to the SD card and it creates a link (a Unix/Linux terminology, it's like a shortcut in windows) to the new place. The difference with the normal &quot;move to SD&quot; option is that in the latter one the application itself has to support it explicitly. Link2SD works always, whether the developer supports it or not.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks, I had tried to fix it by reformatting the partition on my SD-card. Lost all my apps in the process though. Now it happened again but just rebooted and set itself right. It gave a warning to do a quick restart the first time though, because the Link2SD partition wasn't loaded at first or something.

<br /><br /><br />

Thanks, I had tried to fix it by reformatting the partition on my SD-card. Lost all my apps in the process though. Now it happened again but just rebooted and set itself right. It gave a warning to do a quick restart the first time though, because the Link2SD partition wasn't loaded at first or something.

I had this after I upgraded from atomic v1.6 to atomic v2.0 without wiping, I installed it again after wiping everything and it was solved. But it's harmless if you don't mind booting twice (I did ^^)

Okay I have done all as insructed on a 16GIG Lexar the OMC is showing the following

Internal 66% free. Total 162MB used 53.87 MB free 109MB

SD card 42% free. Total 496MB used 283MB free 213MB

SD card 2nd part 100% free Total 14.00GB used 8.00KB free 14.00GB

My question is why is the pc & phone not actually showing the spare 14gig I want to use for storage

The pc is showing 282MB used & 213MB free a total of 496MB & thats it the rest of the 16gig card is not showing?

Okay sorted it. The values were around the wrong way

Edited by Slot-9

• 3 weeks later...

LINK2SD GUIDE (FOR WINDOWS)

download & install the .exe from the link above

connect your phone to your computer via usb and turn on usb storage on your phone from the notifications.

making a full back up of your sd card - make a new folder on your computers desktop call it sd back up, now open your sd card on your computer & press the edit tab at the top, then click select all, now right click on any of the highlighted items and press copy.

now go to your new folder named -- sd back up -- open it & right click inside the empty box and paste.

(now you have a full back up of your sd card)

you can copy & paste this back into your sd card when we are finished

open mini tool partition wizard

click to select you drive - it should be F: double click it to open and make shure it is

if you cant see your device and it is turned on properly click the general tab at the top and press reload disk information.

now... click on the drive F: to make shure your sd card is selected

now under operations select format partition

change file system to fat32 and press ok

then apply at the top left corner & wait for it to finish.....

then right click on drive F: click move / resize

click & hold the end of the bar (right hand side) and drag it back untill the unallocated space after: says 507.54 MB then press ok

now right click on the unallocated box underneath F: press create then yes

change create as: to primary

change file system to: fat32

press ok

then apply in the top left corner.

wait.........it will take a couple minutes it has not crashed.

once it finishes close the program and turn off usb storage and reboot your phone.

open the link2sd app and when it asks to select the format select fat32 at the bottom, it will tell you to reboot - do this now

after reboot open link2sd press the menu button then settings & tick auto link

also check in the auto link settings and make sure that all three boxes are ticked.

back at the main page press the menu button then filter, select user. this will show you all apps that can be linked to sd.

note you have to move your apps back to the internal memory before you can link them to the sd.

from link2sd select apps that say there on the sd and then press manage, you will see an option <move to phone> do this

now go back to the app in link2sd and press create link at the bottom and tick all three boxes and press ok.

after you set this up you will notice that your internal memory is affected very little or not at all after installing apps.

i had 112 apps on my phone at one point with 125mb of free internal space

smile.gif

update: when you do a full wipe in clockwork recovery it will change the second partition to ext3,

so the next time you use link2sd after a full wipe select the ext3 option when prompted at first launch.

hi

i have done this all tutorial and everything goes fine, but i have a question, if i put ext3 when i start the link2sd for the first time, can i get do the same aplications links? can i save internal space or must be fat32 in first start of the link2sd?

Guest dbbloke

My Experience...

Tried the first post way, it wasn't clear probably because I just wanted to know what was needed, not what steps i should follow, but basically you need 2 primary partitions on the SD card. Second one can be small, first one probably good to be fat32 (so it works in windows). Took about an hour or 2 stuffing around with this, decided it's a hassle!

My Way - 16gb SD card, Downloaded a panasonic SD format program (thanks dadashi in my how manual partition post). Formatted Card to all fat32. Went into Clockworkmod advanced partition sd card and created 2 additional partitions, it sort of guides you wizard wise. Made my secondary 2gb ext3 and swap 512mb. This way I'm sure to have enough room for Apps or memory issues. Booted phone, went into link2sd and told it to use ext3 for the second partition. Quite whether or not a swap on my SD is going to cause major slowdowns I don't know but at least I should be free of problems.

From what I can deduce from storage space in the link2sd program ... Everything is by default put on SD card (should you choose) the link option (long press) puts apks on the ext2 card and move to SD puts on your SD card. So I try and use the SD card for pics, music, books and ext3 for programs. This way windows plays nice. Probably best to default this way and if you need something to be fast that you use often then move to the phone.

As for TPT I use option 2. Without doing this I was hitting problems installing any apps - Option 2: 200MB system, 35MB cache, 205MB data 

Edited by dbbloke

Guest nicksoph

Hi

Just had one day on Atomic 3D and it really is a great rom - the best Ive seen on either the Blade or Skate. Now thinking about how to set up the SD card for fastest operation and wonder if there is a speed difference between Linking a program onto an EXT3 partition or moving it to the FAT32 partition? I have not tested it but having gone through the process lots of times, it seems that when I Link a program the process generally takes less time to complete than when I Move programs to the SD.

Some programs won't move so have to be linked but would it be better ie, would they load faster, if you were to Link moveable programs even though they can be moved?

Thanks

nicksoph

Edited by nicksoph

Guest dragonxpress

My Experience...

Tried the first post way, it wasn't clear probably because I just wanted to know what was needed, not what steps i should follow, but basically you need 2 primary partitions on the SD card. Second one can be small, first one probably good to be fat32 (so it works in windows). Took about an hour or 2 stuffing around with this, decided it's a hassle!

My Way - 16gb SD card, Downloaded a panasonic SD format program (thanks dadashi in my how manual partition post). Formatted Card to all fat32. Went into Clockworkmod advanced partition sd card and created 2 additional partitions, it sort of guides you wizard wise. Made my secondary 2gb ext3 and swap 512mb. This way I'm sure to have enough room for Apps or memory issues. Booted phone, went into link2sd and told it to use ext3 for the second partition. Quite whether or not a swap on my SD is going to cause major slowdowns I don't know but at least I should be free of problems.

From what I can deduce from storage space in the link2sd program ... Everything is by default put on SD card (should you choose) the link option (long press) puts apks on the ext2 card and move to SD puts on your SD card. So I try and use the SD card for pics, music, books and ext3 for programs. This way windows plays nice. Probably best to default this way and if you need something to be fast that you use often then move to the phone.

As for TPT I use option 2. Without doing this I was hitting problems installing any apps - Option 2: 200MB system, 35MB cache, 205MB data

How do you actually do this bit in CWM as all I get when I go to Advanced\Partition SD card is a list of numbers? Choosing one will bring up another list of numbers ?

Guest Wacky.ddw

I never had any problems with link to SD it is allways the first thing i setup after installing a ROM, but after rebooting the first time in Atomic4 link2SD wouldnt create links anymore. So i reflashed Atomic with all the wipes, everthing worked great untill i rebooted i get the same message. Im beginning to think there is something wrong with the SD card. (It seems like the same problem as Redstarr1 but i cant solve it)

I allways get this message with all apps:

Failure

rm failed for /data/sdext2/dalvik-

chache/data@[email protected].

[email protected],

Read-only file system

Should i format my SD trough clockworkmod "mounts and storage > format sdcard" and "mounts and storage > format sd-ext" Or how did you guys fix it.

I have tried rebooting, reflashing ROM restoring to a backup. But when i make a nandroid backup my apps and restore it non off my apps are includded.

EDIT: i just re-partitioned my SD card everything worked great the first time, the second time i had the same error. And when i look to a app it says "Symbolic Link - Not mounted"

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest nicksoph

EDIT: i just re-partitioned my SD card everything worked great the first time, the second time i had the same error. And when i look to a app it says "Symbolic Link - Not mounted"

Not sure what would cause it to fail second time round but I once had a similar problem but a full wipe, format of the sd card and Fix permissions then a reboot before installing fixed it for me.

Edited by nicksoph

Guest Wacky.ddw

I just flashed a Nandroid of Atomic 3E it worked fine, then a beta version of v4 it worked fine.

So im going to try installing v4 one last time if the problem still exists it is a problem in V4.

Edit: I formatted my SD completly and installed atomic v4 again and it works now :) lets hope its stays that way :P

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Redstarr1

I never had any problems with link to SD it is allways the first thing i setup after installing a ROM, but after rebooting the first time in Atomic4 link2SD wouldnt create links anymore. So i reflashed Atomic with all the wipes, everthing worked great untill i rebooted i get the same message. Im beginning to think there is something wrong with the SD card. (It seems like the same problem as Redstarr1 but i cant solve it)

Should i format my SD trough clockworkmod "mounts and storage > format sdcard" and "mounts and storage > format sd-ext" Or how did you guys fix it.

I have tried rebooting, reflashing ROM restoring to a backup. But when i make a nandroid backup my apps and restore it non off my apps are includded.

This still happens to me from time to time, especially when I turn my phone on. For some reason Link2SD just fails to load the second partition and if I reboot it again it always succeeded loading it so far. It's not a problem with my SD-card because I've changed to a bigger one in the mean time and the problem persists. But it's not a big deal, just have to reboot again after turning it on, consumes some battery power though.

Guest Wacky.ddw

This still happens to me from time to time, especially when I turn my phone on. For some reason Link2SD just fails to load the second partition and if I reboot it again it always succeeded loading it so far. It's not a problem with my SD-card because I've changed to a bigger one in the mean time and the problem persists. But it's not a big deal, just have to reboot again after turning it on, consumes some battery power though.

Yea i know, im trying not to reboot because if i do that im screwed... And i really dont want to partition AGAIN.

Edit: im screwed...

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Wacky.ddw

Im 100% sure the link2sd is Atomic v4 now:

I reflashed Atomic with all 4wipes, then i changed the link2sd settings it told me to reboot once ive rebooted everything worked. I linked all the apps, when i reboot again my system gets changed to read only. I Can reboot a thousand times it wont change anything.

Then i did a TPT which wipes everything, I formatted my SD on my phone so its 1 partition again. Then i repartitioned it with "MiniTool Partition" And did everthing again like in the tutorial. It worked till today.

So when i flash a ROM and i set link2sd i reboot and create the links, when i reboot again the links that where created stay linked. But i cant link anything new.

Rebooting: Does not work.

So all wipes: Does not work.

Different TPT: Does not work.

Reformat SDcard: Does not work.

Reflashing to Atomic 3E or 4 beta: WORKS!!!!

Screenshots of my settings + Some random apps i downloaded from the market after 3th reboot.

screenshot-1326899578071.pngscreenshot-1326899555417-1.png

screenshot-1326898548550-1.pngscreenshot-1326898490806-1.png

screenshot-1326898449356-1.png

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Wacky.ddw

I dont think it will work as 2mb is too small for the cache without link2sd- The standard 200mb or maybe 160mb so that the rom goes on without removal of other programs and then use links2sd and a 2nd partition on your phone - from what you have said it seems the 2nd partition is the problem. I used CWM to create the partitions on the sd card - it does a good job without needing to know what it does (creates, formats and sets them as primary). If you are going to do it all again try using it rather than a program on a pc to set up the sd card - and do this after wiping and then reboot to recovery before installing Atomic again. Depending on your card size create a 2nd partition of about 512MB and no cache partition with cwm on your sd.

If your needs are small and you think you can get away without the extra space of a 2nd sd partition then you might set your sd card back to a single fat32, in which case you should have a 35 mb cache partition on the phone with the system partition being set to what ever size will take the Atomic install (160mb without removing anything)

If you are going to restart? from the little i know about your needs I would go for a 2nd partition on your sd card and use link2sd with the 160/2 partitions which is found on one of the tpt'sor safer but if you are not going to use link2sd then you need to have a 35mb cache and then at least 160mb for the standard install of Atomic4

Well i was thinking the same thing, i think i asked it here a few pages ago. If i could partition with clockworkmod.Does that format the partition to fat32 or ex2?? I think im going to get really cranky if i have to sync my 14GB of music AGAIN.

Ok so 160mb system 35mb cache and then the rest data would be good? I never even got close to filling the whole 512mb partition on link2sd. And i never noticed the difference after doing a TPT.

It would be great if i have a little more space for apps on my phone, and still have my 35mb cache. Eventough i dont know why i need the cache i dont notice any difference with my stock TPT.

For me everything was good like it was could i do:

160mb system 35mb cache ???data > with a 256mb partition for my apps on my SD so i can get the max out of my SD for music.

Edited by Wacky.ddw