What have I just downloaded from ZTE's site

Guest DB006

Guest Amphoras

Just done this and there was an error at 44% now stuck with the green man at boot and wont go any further .

Need some help as what to do.

Thanks

I see in the other thread that you got it sorted. I don't know why some people are having problems with it so I've removed the link for now as I don't want to break anyone's phone.

Guest wrtease

i have yet to try it ,have it downloaded but have not used it .might use it if i reck ma phone. alot of others have had some probs dont no why ,for some its perfect and for others it seems to repartition thenthe problems start.anyway im hear to help the newbees,i was one a while back.

Guest trueno2k

Another version. This one has the following partitions:

Recovery: 		6MB

Boot: 			4MB

Splash: 			1.5MB

Misc: 			0.5MB

Cache: 			20MB

System: 			150MB

Userdata: 		270MB

OEM: 			1MB

Persist: 			1.5MB

It uses a blank system.img from one of the Blade TPTs instead of the Orange rom, and uses Paul's CWM as the boot.img, so should boot straight into that.

Check the md5sums before you do it, if they don't match, don't use it.

Link: http://dl.dropbox.co...s-skate-tpt.zip

MD5sum: 8285c644d2415fea7445eb92a9c98453

Again, use at your own risk.

Hi Amphoras,

I would love to have the tools you have that helped to create the TPT image which partition the OMC/Skate as I wanna create custom partitions for my OMC so that I can have a much smaller system & cache partition in order to gain more data partition... I ask this because I have already filled up my data partition with apps and want more space on it... I do not like running apps from my sdcard, but would if I have to, however, I can't or my OMC won't allow me to use ext4 sdcard partitions (I'm not sure how to enable it properly!)...

I would be much appreciate it if you can link me to the tools providing I don't have to configure windows xp too drastically to use these tools, OR if you can do for me, I would like it to be similar to my blade which uses a cutdown/modified version of CM7 I created from the nightlies which only needs 135MB for system, and 2MB for cache (as CM7 handles downloads and others cache related files within the OS)...

I look forward to hearing from you soon ^_^

Edited by trueno2k

Guest Amphoras

Hi Amphoras,

I would love to have the tools you have that helped to create the TPT image which partition the OMC/Skate as I wanna create custom partitions for my OMC so that I can have a much smaller system & cache partition in order to gain more data partition... I ask this because I have already filled up my data partition with apps and want more space on it... I do not like running apps from my sdcard, but would if I have to, however, I can't or my OMC won't allow me to use ext4 sdcard partitions (I'm not sure how to enable it properly!)...

I would be much appreciate it if you can link me to the tools providing I don't have to configure windows xp too drastically to use these tools, OR if you can do for me, I would like it to be similar to my blade which uses a cutdown/modified version of CM7 I created from the nightlies which only needs 135MB for system, and 2MB for cache (as CM7 handles downloads and others cache related files within the OS)...

I look forward to hearing from you soon ^_^

I can try and do one this weekend for you. Don't know whether it will work or not though, some people seem to be having problems with them. You can use this to unpack the image.bin file from the start of this thread. You need to edit the partition_zte.mbn and appsboot.mbn files using a hex editor to change the partition sizes. You can replace the boot.img and recovery.img with copies of Clockwork recovery. Once you're finished you can repack it with the same tool.

Guest trueno2k

I can try and do one this weekend for you. Don't know whether it will work or not though, some people seem to be having problems with them. You can use this to unpack the image.bin file from the start of this thread. You need to edit the partition_zte.mbn and appsboot.mbn files using a hex editor to change the partition sizes. You can replace the boot.img and recovery.img with copies of Clockwork recovery. Once you're finished you can repack it with the same tool.

Hey, thanks for the response, but erm, I don't know where to begin with HEX editing... I have HxD and looked into the partition_zte.mbn file and have no clue to where I need to HEX edit the values for the partition and ditto for the appsboot.mbn file... So, I'm guessing that it may be a better idea if you do the HEX editing for me, and then just link me to the files needed for the new partition layout I desire, I should be able to do the rest... In regards to the other files, are they just the ones used for the OSF Gen2? In theory I can just copy the system, boot, cache, and splash img files into the OMC TPT, create my TPT image.bin file and TPT my OMC, or am I gonna brick my OMC if I do that?...

If the TPT is a combination of some OMC and some OSF TPT files, I was just wondering whether there is any need to generate the image.bin file for the TPT to work? Could the OMC not do the TPT with the files separately in the image folder like it can be done on the Orange San Franscisco aka Blade??? AND, If it can, does the image folder need to have the full compliment of files (which you do not have in your image.bin tpt's) like with the OSF TPT's or can I just TPT with the necessary .img & .mbn files needed for the partitioning of the OMC?...

Whats your thoughts?

Guest trueno2k

Just done this and there was an error at 44% now stuck with the green man at boot and wont go any further .

Need some help as what to do.

Thanks

I've just realised what you mean by stuck on the green android boot screen!!!... What you need to do here is keep holding the VOL- button so that the OMC reboots twice upon switching it on or by rebooting it, after the second boot CWM will appear seconds later... Hope that helps...

Guest Amphoras

Hey, thanks for the response, but erm, I don't know where to begin with HEX editing... I have HxD and looked into the partition_zte.mbn file and have no clue to where I need to HEX edit the values for the partition and ditto for the appsboot.mbn file... So, I'm guessing that it may be a better idea if you do the HEX editing for me, and then just link me to the files needed for the new partition layout I desire, I should be able to do the rest... In regards to the other files, are they just the ones used for the OSF Gen2? In theory I can just copy the system, boot, cache, and splash img files into the OMC TPT, create my TPT image.bin file and TPT my OMC, or am I gonna brick my OMC if I do that?...

If the TPT is a combination of some OMC and some OSF TPT files, I was just wondering whether there is any need to generate the image.bin file for the TPT to work? Could the OMC not do the TPT with the files separately in the image folder like it can be done on the Orange San Franscisco aka Blade??? AND, If it can, does the image folder need to have the full compliment of files (which you do not have in your image.bin tpt's) like with the OSF TPT's or can I just TPT with the necessary .img & .mbn files needed for the partitioning of the OMC?...

Whats your thoughts?

Blank system, cache or userdata images from Blade TPTs should be fine, but don't use the boot or recovery images. They'll contain Blade versions of Clockwork. You can just use a copy of the Skate Clockwork and rename it to recovery.img and boot.img.

From what I can tell, the Skate is like stock Gen 2 Blades. It can only use image.bin style TPTs, and not the Gen 1 style Blade TPTs with all the files separately in the folder. You can buld the image.bin leaving out most files. I think the only ones you have to have are partition.mbn (don't edit this) and partition_zte.mbn. If you want to change partitions, you'll need appsboot.mbn as well or they won't be changed. The reason I left out the amss.mbn, etc files is that they aren't needed to change the partitions, and if something goes wrong when flashing them, then there is more chance of totally bricking the phone that flashing the other that I left in. (There's always a small chance, it just helps reduce it.)

Guest trueno2k

Blank system, cache or userdata images from Blade TPTs should be fine, but don't use the boot or recovery images. They'll contain Blade versions of Clockwork. You can just use a copy of the Skate Clockwork and rename it to recovery.img and boot.img.

From what I can tell, the Skate is like stock Gen 2 Blades. It can only use image.bin style TPTs, and not the Gen 1 style Blade TPTs with all the files separately in the folder. You can buld the image.bin leaving out most files. I think the only ones you have to have are partition.mbn (don't edit this) and partition_zte.mbn. If you want to change partitions, you'll need appsboot.mbn as well or they won't be changed. The reason I left out the amss.mbn, etc files is that they aren't needed to change the partitions, and if something goes wrong when flashing them, then there is more chance of totally bricking the phone that flashing the other that I left in. (There's always a small chance, it just helps reduce it.)

Rename Skate Clockwork to recovery.img and boot.img? Are they suppose to be the same file? I thought they both are different and are two different functionalities?

Edited by trueno2k

Guest Amphoras

Rename Skate Clockwork to recovery.img and boot.img? Are they suppose to be the same file? I thought they both are different and are two different functionalities?

If you flash it without a rom, then using both as a copy of Clockwork recovery means the phone boots into recovery after the TPT is finished. Once you flash a rom, the boot image is overwriten by the one for that rom.

PS. I send you a PM about editing the partitions.

Edited by Amphoras

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trueno2k

Okay guys and gals,

I found a interesting find regarding this 44% error... It seems though that the boot.img file is at fault and TPT'ing the recovery.img file as boot.img is causing this 44% error... I found this out from when I unlocked my phone from the method used in the thread http://android.modac...-your-omcskate/ ... well, actually I had a hunch and thought what would happen if I took the boot.img file from the Flash file and use that to replace the boot.img file used in Amphoras image.bin TPT... When I TPT'ed my OMC with the new image.bin TPT that I created using the alternative boot.img, I found that the TPT process went through without and errors popping up, however, there is still a problem with the reboot not going into CWM recovery after a TPT and I reckon that is something to do with not having the right partition size for boot.img OR the right boot.img file which should be recovery.img renamed boot.img to have the OMC boot into recovery after a fresh TPT... I could be wrong here but, I've tested this and found no errors with my custom created image.bin TPT and can see no other explanation what this 44% is all about!?!?!...

Again, to get into recovery a cold boot, or from a fresh TPT process, you'll need to keep holding the VOL- button until you see the green android after the OMC reboots for a second time!... Hope this helps get the next TPT to be perfected, so that there is no need for a second reboot whilst holding the VOL- button from a cold boot or a fresh TPT... From what I can remember, I don't think this CWM recovery load up problem occurs when you reboot into CWM when you select reboot into recovery from the ROM you use, so it's should be safe to leave the VOL- button alone when you reboot into recovery from the ROM OS...

@D3abL3

Shouldn't you be asking this question in the link above???... I thought this thread was something regarding partitioning the OMC???... :P

How's it going on unlocking this animal? :)

@D3abL3

Shouldn't you be asking this question in the link above???... I thought this thread was something regarding partitioning the OMC???... :P

What the...?!

I would swear I never made this post in here, I made it in another thread :blink:

Anyway, my apologies...

EDIT

Since this is about partitioning, can it be partitioned to 150MB sys, 35 Cache, and the rest on Data? :)

Edited by D3abL3

Guest trueno2k

Here's the post where Amphoras linked a TPT file to your partition size request... here --> http://android.modac...dpost&p=1820428

What the...?!

I would swear I never made this post in here, I made it in another thread :blink:

Anyway, my apologies...

EDIT

Since this is about partitioning, can it be partitioned to 150MB sys, 35 Cache, and the rest on Data? :)

Guest philmein

post 42 seemed the best partition size tried lots of them but bluemonte uses alot of space so i used the one in post 42 got a error at 44% but it still worked

but i will not try it agin till a fixed version appears

magikstar rom will fit too have you tried bluemonte??

No, I didn't. But you can see if it fits by extracting the folder "system" from the zip and check its size.

Guest trueno2k

Thanks.

I also got the 44% error but worked still.

This error is due to having an incorrect boot.img file within the image.bin file... I reckon the boot.img stored in image.bin is not flashed properly and so gives your error and after the TPT the OMC/Skate freezes after a reboot resulting the phone staying stuck on the android splash screen and using my discovered method of HOLDING the VOL- button to get the phone to reboot a second time for CWM recovery to load up... NOW, in my mind I also reckon that by HEX'ing the partition_zte.mbn boot section of the partition layout to accommodate for the boot.img size, location, endpoint, and startpoint for the next partition, I think this 44% error and TPT reboot issue can be solved at the same time... This is providing that Amphoras hasn't already accounted for the boot.img partition to begin with... If this is so, then once the partition_zte.mbn has the correct partitions for all accounted .img files, recovery.img can then be reused as boot.img again... Just thought I put in my 2cents worth ^_^

Guest Amphoras

This error is due to having an incorrect boot.img file within the image.bin file... I reckon the boot.img stored in image.bin is not flashed properly and so gives your error and after the TPT the OMC/Skate freezes after a reboot resulting the phone staying stuck on the android splash screen and using my discovered method of HOLDING the VOL- button to get the phone to reboot a second time for CWM recovery to load up... NOW, in my mind I also reckon that by HEX'ing the partition_zte.mbn boot section of the partition layout to accommodate for the boot.img size, location, endpoint, and startpoint for the next partition, I think this 44% error and TPT reboot issue can be solved at the same time... This is providing that Amphoras hasn't already accounted for the boot.img partition to begin with... If this is so, then once the partition_zte.mbn has the correct partitions for all accounted .img files, recovery.img can then be reused as boot.img again... Just thought I put in my 2cents worth ^_^

Thanks trueno2k. After reading your stuff about the boot.img failing, I think I have found the problem. I will look and see what I can do about it, and let people know when it should be working.

Guest Amphoras

Thanks trueno2k. After reading your stuff about the boot.img failing, I think I have found the problem. I will look and see what I can do about it, and let people know when it should be working.

The problem appears to have been the size of the boot partition. On the Blade, the boot and recovery partitions are the same size, so I assumed they were the same size here as well. It turns out this is not the case, and the recovery partition is 6mb and the boot partition is only 4mb. The Clockwork image is ~4.5mb, so it would be too big for the boot partition I assume this is why the errors were showing and why it didn't boot into clockwork as the partition wasn't being written. On the Blade, both partitions are 5mb, so I have changed them to this. There should now be enough space for clockwork in the boot partition, so the TPT should now work without giving errors and should boot into recovery after the TPT has finished. The stock recovery image is smaller than 5mb, so the recovery partition should still be big enough to hold that as well. If its not, flashing the original TPT will restore them to their original sizes.

If someone could try this version of the 150mb system, 35mb cache TPT and see if it works without errors and boots into recovery when its done, I can update the others in this way as well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41652192/Skate%20TPTs/150sys-35cache-skate-tpt.zip

MD5sum: 9ded013763541d3ccacea94d99d6f645