MKV's??

Guest martinmrocks

Guest martinmrocks

Ok, so i know theres probably a number off topics covering this, however the thought of trawling through them all gave me a stomach ache :D

Im a keen user of both Mobo and Rockplayer both of which seem to handle, albeit between them, a very diverse range of audio/video formats. But the biggest hurdle still seems to be MKV. Mobo is selective and only considers a small amount of my mkv's (im yet to find a difference between ones it likes and the ones it dislikes) where as rockplayer has a good go at them all but all appear very very laggy, sound jumps all over the place etc. So i thought maybe there is progress in getting these mkv's to work. However, i tried to play a 1080p avi file last night and got slightly better but even still very laggy performance. Which has started to make me think its just a hardware issue and the vega, without, help from maybe overclocking or very well written media player will never play a really high quality video like that.

Thoughts?

Tegra 2 (and not many other SoCs at the moment) does not have native decoding of AVI or most MKV files that you'll find over the internet. This means that if you want to watch either, the Vega will have to decode it on the fly using software codecs, which is much more CPU intensive, resulting in the lag you are seeing. To watch proper 1080p on the Vega, you'll need to convert any videos you have to one of the Vega's native formats (MKV is just a container, you can have an MKV file which is natively decoded by the Vega, just needs to have the right codecs).

Also, for video players, I highly suggest you use MX Video Player. It supports multi-core processors, so much improved performance (this is what it says in the description on market at least, maybe RockPlayer and MoboPlayer support it too).

Hope this helps. Google to find the right profiles for native MKV support.

Guest xathras

Tegra 2 (and not many other SoCs at the moment) does not have native decoding of AVI or most MKV files that you'll find over the internet. This means that if you want to watch either, the Vega will have to decode it on the fly using software codecs, which is much more CPU intensive, resulting in the lag you are seeing. To watch proper 1080p on the Vega, you'll need to convert any videos you have to one of the Vega's native formats (MKV is just a container, you can have an MKV file which is natively decoded by the Vega, just needs to have the right codecs).

Also, for video players, I highly suggest you use MX Video Player. It supports multi-core processors, so much improved performance (this is what it says in the description on market at least, maybe RockPlayer and MoboPlayer support it too).

Hope this helps. Google to find the right profiles for native MKV support.

I moved on to MX player from Mobo a couple of weeks ago after seeing a post that praised it highly. It has a lot of options (most of which I haven't tried yet) including a switch to allow it to choose between hardware and software decoding automatically. After reading these posts I tried it out on the few MKV movies I have. When MX player starts up a small box appears on the far left of the screen about half way down for only a couple of seconds. With most of my MKVs this box said SW (which I assume means that it's using a software decoder). However, with two movies the box said HW (which I assume means that it's using hardware decoding). There is also an option to use SW decoding for the audio when there is no sound while using HW decoding for video and audio.

EDIT: On first try the use SW for audio and HW for video doesn't appear to work. All in all the results are variable and unpredictable. However, I do have one movie that plays perfectly using HW decoding for both video and audio.

Edited by xathras

Guest nelles

I moved on to MX player from Mobo a couple of weeks ago after seeing a post that praised it highly. It has a lot of options (most of which I haven't tried yet) including a switch to allow it to choose between hardware and software decoding automatically. After reading these posts I tried it out on the few MKV movies I have. When MX player starts up a small box appears on the far left of the screen about half way down for only a couple of seconds. With most of my MKVs this box said SW (which I assume means that it's using a software decoder). However, with two movies the box said HW (which I assume means that it's using hardware decoding). There is also an option to use SW decoding for the audio when there is no sound while using HW decoding for video and audio.

EDIT: On first try the use SW for audio and HW for video doesn't appear to work. All in all the results are variable and unpredictable. However, I do have one movie that plays perfectly using HW decoding for both video and audio.

The results are indeed unpredictable...

I have one MKV that stutters when played with HW decoding but plays smoothly with SW decoding. And its 720p.

(I use MX Player and am happy with it)

Guest BiggerH

I can't see it happening - although it has technically has the ooomph to play them, the codecs are missing.

It's possibly the only reason I could be tempted away from the Vega - perhaps one of the Archos Gen9's? (although the low RAM seems a bit poor) I believe one can purchase a codec pack for Archos devices so MKV's play ok

Guest martinmrocks

I think it would be possible, Divx should get on it. It would be unfair to ask for this free of charge.

If its gonna happen though i think we could be waiting a while.

Thanks for all ur input guys

Haha everyone should take a look at this post:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/335569-handbrake-profile-for-the-vega/

The Vega will natively support video encoded using those profiles. I've actually tested it myself before and watched Iron Man 1 & 2 in 1080p on my TV using HDMI output from my Vega.

Let me clarify one thing though, MKV, MP4 and AVI are just containers! That means that they could all actually use the same codec e.g. I could encode a 1080p DivX video using either MKV or AVI or MP4 and none of them would be natively supported by the Vega!

Look in the thread I've linked to see the settings you should use (MP4 container with a H.264 codec and AAC audio codec). A 1080p video encoded with these settings (look at the bitrates and framrates as well) should play perfectly. Hope this all helps you get beautiful 1080p video on your Vegas!