Archos 80 G9 Root (Phase 1)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest centaurus

Rich,

Thank you so much for your help. Still no luck though. My Windows 7 x64 system still doesn't like the driver (although it does now seem to accept that it IS a driver for my device, it wouodn;t even admit it could find one before I made the changes you highlighted!). It now says that my MTP USB device already has the best driver installed. Device Manager calls the Archos an Archos 80 G9 not an unknown/other device so whatever default driver W7 x64 has installed seems to be preventing my attempts to replace it. Any further help will be gratefully received!!

Thank you in advance!

the ADB driver is a special driver, listed under the "unknown" devides.

There are usually two USB interfaces detected with the ARCHOS tablets on Windows.

So the G9 Archos devices have 2 different PIDs.

Regards!

Guest centaurus

I want to confirm, that it's actually working on the ARCHOS 101 G9 too.

Tried today (needs approx. half an hour).

Rooted super user, fully accessible optional Android / Linux system. Tests later.

All steps applied with a Macintosh:

- loading the exploits from thiis thread and making (temporary) root (step1)

- installing SDE (step 2)

- injecting the developer system (step 3)

If there is an interest, I could compile detailled descriptive instructions and videos.

To all involved: Thank you very much for the information!!!

Regards.

Guest ringofan

the ADB driver is a special driver, listed under the "unknown" devides.

There are usually two USB interfaces detected with the ARCHOS tablets on Windows.

So the G9 Archos devices have 2 different PIDs.

Regards!

Thanks Centaurus! Finally I have the driver installed. I'll post again if/when I get the root working. :D

Guest ArkViper

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply; absolutely spot on. I have killed & re-started the ADB daemon but I still get a blank line when I type "adb devices". I am slowly approaching my wits' end... 8-)

As always, any advice will be gratefully received.

I Am still having this exact same issue..

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem as you had not seeing the usb in the admin devices manager. Do you remember or can you describe what you did to get around this problem?

Thanks Centaurus! Finally I have the driver installed. I'll post again if/when I get the root working. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I notice that this rooting process has been tried on the 101 G9. I have tried it on my 101 G9 turbo, which seems to work. I.e. I get the # sign and I can manipulate a few things. But there are a couple of issues.

First I cannot set the /system/ directory as read,/write, so I cannot remove any system apps,(which is my reason for wanting a rooted tablet.

Secondly, I have an issue with the rooted tablet. This is that when I let the screen timeout, i.e. go black, if I then try to start using the tablet by pressing the button on the side, the backlight comes on but there is no textb or other display. If I then reboot the tablet I am able to use it again until the screen timesout and then have the same issue.

I hope this helps

Hughby

Guest adis992

FileSonic went offline while in between trying to download Step 1 and 2, so i have step 1 but cannot download :

"Download 'Step 2' of the root process - DOWNLOAD - MD5: dc16d0c53bc420be4b898481e31fdc2a" As FileSonic no longer shares files :(.

Can anyone upload it to anothersite plz?

Hey guys,

Just joined the forum, mainly because I just bought a 80 G9. I'm not new to Android development or rooting. Couple of question... with this method, is it able to 'chmod 06755' with the root shell? I assume it should be possible with root. If so, has anyone checked out the Droid 3 One Click Root Script? It seems to me that it could be edited to employ this method for the 80 G9. I intend to try it and hopefully release something that will include su/busybox/SuperUser.apk in a nice package when I get my Archos in a few days. :-)

Guest Folkert Sikkema

hi paul

after the root have you sound ?

I also lost the sound after executing the procedure on a Windows XP

laptop instead of my Windosws 7 64 laptop. I only could get the sound

back by a complete factory-reset thing (Powerup with volume+ key pressed).

Still no ADB on Win7-64 and still no root to have ADB over wifi...

Anyone any ideas?

Regards, Folkert

Guest mahall1988

1st atempt running latest firmware. 3.2.79

failed part 3 of 3

* Running exploit [part 3 of 3]...

remount failed: Unknown error: 0

failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox': Read-only file system

failed to copy 'su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system

failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file system

chmod: /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

chmod: /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory

chown: unknown user/group system:system

* ALL DONE! YOUR TABLET SHOULD BE ROOTED!

after this when the screen went to sleep it would no longer wake up.

so i did a factory reset which put it back to stock.

next i tried to downgrade which archos dont allow (very nice of them) as my device hardware wont accept older firmware.

so if anybody can provide me a way to downgrade i will try again.

mahall1988 asked about my progress so I decided to post what i have...

**DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS YET AS I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY TABLET IN THE MAIL! THIS IS COMPLETELY TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!**

Good to know. Because the remount failed, all the pushes failed to write to the still read-only '/system' partition. If the exploit still worked in parts 1 and 2, it should just be a matter of tweaking it some more. GOD I'd love to have my tablet here already!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Galaxyxx

1st atempt running latest firmware. 3.2.79

failed part 3 of 3

* Running exploit [part 3 of 3]...

remount failed: Unknown error: 0

failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox': Read-only file system

failed to copy 'su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system

failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file system

chmod: /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

chmod: /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory

chown: unknown user/group system:system

* ALL DONE! YOUR TABLET SHOULD BE ROOTED!

after this when the screen went to sleep it would no longer wake up.

so i did a factory reset which put it back to stock.

next i tried to downgrade which archos dont allow (very nice of them) as my device hardware wont accept older firmware.

so if anybody can provide me a way to downgrade i will try again.

Well exactly same problem here on Archos 80 G9 250 GB ...... i will try to do restore and see if it will fix the problems.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clwilson

When it says to place step 1 file and step 2 file in the "your current directory" What does that mean exactly? I have tried to place those in tons of locations and have no idea where that would be. I keep trying the first step and all I am getting is "cannot stat '1' : no such file or directory exists" Can someone please give me a quick hint so that I can root this Tablet :)

Guest rokky

When it says to place step 1 file and step 2 file in the "your current directory" What does that mean exactly? I have tried to place those in tons of locations and have no idea where that would be. I keep trying the first step and all I am getting is "cannot stat '1' : no such file or directory exists" Can someone please give me a quick hint so that I can root this Tablet :)

"Current directory" means running the adb command from the same directory in which you placed files "1" and "2" so you do not have to specify the path to their location in the command line. However, as I recall, for some versions of adb you need to specify the destination file name as well as the directory - e.g.

adb push 1 /data/local/1

See if that pattern helps.

Also, make sure /data/local exists on the tablet, and that it is writable. You can check that with:

adb shell mount

The results should show a list similar to this one from my ARchos 43:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)

/dev/mmcblk0p2 on /mnt/system type ext3 (rw,noexec,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

/dev/loop0 on /new-root type squashfs (ro,noatime)

unionfs on / type unionfs (rw,dirs=/mnt/system/unionfs=rw:/new-root=ro)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)

/dev/block/vold/179:17 on /mnt/storage/sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 on /data type ext3 (rw,nosuid,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered)

The "rw" means it can be read and written, so your /data should show up with that rw, and you should be able to list the contents of /data/local with:

adb shell ls -l /data/local

(I cannot ls /data itself since it has permssions of drwxrwx--x).

If those are not present or writeable, your Archos directory structure would not seem to be "standard" per this thread.

R

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest joao carlos ramos

Your one click root does not work it fails on a number of processes I'm afraid...

Anyone have some more notices ....to root archos 80 g9 turbo ....I can't......

• 4 months later...
Guest Chrisund123
Would this work on the Archos 80 Cobalt?

Got one from Tesco? I got mine :D

I'm hoping one of the common ICS exploits will work... I'm at the in laws at the moment tho so can't play till I get home :(

Edited by Chrisund123