G9 - Poor wifi performance

Guest MadMatt2002

Guest MadMatt2002

Hi,

G9 arrived yesterday, 1 week after ordering it direct from Archos.

The wifi performance seems very very poor. In areas where my laptop shows full signal strength, the G9 shows "poor".

Has anyone else seen this problem?

What are other peoples thoughts on the wifi performance?

Have installed the latest firmware, and the Market "fix" (running 2 versions of Market etc).

Thanks

Matthew

I've noticed that WiFi disconnects rather frequently, despite setting disconnection policy to "Never". Hope firmware update will help with that. Apart from that it seems fine to me, also in terms of picking up accurate wifi coverage.

UPDATE:

Updated firmware to .56 but wifi is still disconnecting randomly every now and then. :(

Edited by evad

Guest MadMatt2002

Archos have agreed to replace this unit, but they currently do not have any available stock.

As soon as they have some stock they will contact me to arrange the replacement.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice,

Matthew

My second thoughts on wifi performance after few days of usage:

• it actually doesn't disconnect that often as at the beginning, I guess .56 firmware has much improved in that aspect;
  • wifi coverage seems to be fine, I haven't noticed any major issues here;
  • downloading performance is rather disappointing, as for 802.11b/g/n device - while downloading stuff from my LAN media server I get max 1-1.5 MB/s (either via FTP or UPnP), while my laptop easily clocks over 3-4 MB/s;
  • not sure whether that's a problem with Archos wifi or my WLAN setup, but I've noticed that downloading large file from LAN server using AndFTP app breaks in-between with "Connection timed out" error. Similar thing happens while streaming videos in stock player via UPnP, after couple of minutes of playback it suddenly breaks and restart from the beginning. However, downloading same file (rather than streaming in player) via UPnP to internal storage worked fine. Really strange. :-o