[Port] Ice Cream Sandwich SDK Porting to the Liquid

Guest Ma7moud

Guest Ma7moud

Ok, I'll see what I can do. Btw, we don't we have a higher kernel version for our Liquids? It seems we're stuck at 2.6.29?

yeah we are stuck at that, you should patch it up if you can

i think 3.0.1 at least is required for some of ICS features, and after the latest update for Galaxy Nexus is now has 3.0.8 kernel

Guest Ma7moud

No reason, because

Want know if we got Hardware Acceleration yet. Short answer NO. We need an msm-3.0 kernel to get it working properly. (There is no way around this.)

and it's too bad.

i don't want to disappoint you but ONLY Galaxy Nexus and newer devices will have Hardware Acceleration on all the time, even the Nexus S official ICS doesn't have H/W Acceleration everywhere

this is a part from a post on an android developer working at google :

• Because of the overhead of OpenGL, one may very well not want to use it for drawing. For example some of the work we are doing to make Android 4.0 run well on the Nexus S has involved turning off hardware accelerated drawing in parts of the UI so we don’t lose 8MB of RAM in the system process, another 8MB in the phone process, another 8MB in the system UI process, etc. Trust me, you won’t notice -- there is just no benefit on that device in using OpenGL to draw something like the status bar, even with fancy animations going on in there.

• Hardware accelerated drawing is not a magical silver bullet to butter-smooth UI. There are many different efforts that have been going on towards this, such as improved scheduling of foreground vs. background threads in 1.6, rewriting the input system in 2.3, strict mode, concurrent garbage collection, loaders, etc. If you want to achieve 60fps, you have 20 milliseconds to handle each frame. This is not a lot of time. Just touching the flash storage system in the thread that is running the UI can in some cases introduce a delay that puts you out of that timing window, especially if you are writing to storage.

here is a link to the full post on Google+

https://plus.google....sts/2FXDCz8x93s

Edited by Ma7moud

Guest Ma7moud

long story short, its not always better to have Hardware Acceleration on. especially on older GPUs like the Adreno 200 in the Liquid

but its better to let the GPU and CPU share the load, and that gives you better performance

Guest TheShak

Just for information - i've got CM9 running on the phone ZTE blade with Andriod 4.0.3 the kernel is 2.6.35 - it's a bit laggy but useable... point being that even with a 2.x kernel it's o.k. a bit like the first roms we got for the liquid...

Guest Ma7moud

Just for information - i've got CM9 running on the phone ZTE blade with Andriod 4.0.3 the kernel is 2.6.35 - it's a bit laggy but useable... point being that even with a 2.x kernel it's o.k. a bit like the first roms we got for the liquid...

ICS 4.0.3 is running on N1 using 2.6.38 kernel, but their devs think 3.0.x kernel is needed for H/W acceleration

Guest TheShak

ICS 4.0.3 is running on N1 using 2.6.38 kernel, but their devs think 3.0.x kernel is needed for H/W acceleration

Yep, I guess brother...

Also Phoenix/Truecolor is also working on the MIUI 4.0 port ... he's stopped doing the 2.3.7 port his last build was 1.12.2 ...

Guest Ma7moud

Yep, I guess brother...

Also Phoenix/Truecolor is also working on the MIUI 4.0 port ... he's stopped doing the 2.3.7 port his last build was 1.12.2 ...

well i think MIUI 4.0 will be usable on Liquid E only, unless there is a way to make it need less ram

with MIUI 2.3.7 i get about 60~70 MB ram after first boot, install few apps and it goes down to 40, install about 70 apps (i install that much) and i can't go higher than 35 unless i end all the background apps but they restart in a few minutes anyway so there not much ram left for apps to use and swap is so slow unless you are using a super SD card class 10

Guest Lostpick

The last beta ICS for Htc desire has H/W acceleration using Adreno 200....is it a good news for us???

Guest RomzesRover_R

The last beta ICS for Htc desire has H/W acceleration using Adreno 200....is it a good news for us???

i tried port! but have many artefacts on screen!! i dont know what to do ((

Guest Lostpick

i tried port! but have many artefacts on screen!! i dont know what to do ((

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you :( But if you share your work, someone else could contribute.

Guest RomzesRover_R

need help !

how to get adb logcat, when i tried to do this i have this message

- waiting for device -

reloc_library[1285]:   124 cannot locate 'android_log_setColoredOutput'...

CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE

but rom started, and works touchscreen,root,apps,vibration

Guest Ma7moud

need help !

how to get adb logcat, when i tried to do this i have this message

- waiting for device -

reloc_library[1285]:   124 cannot locate 'android_log_setColoredOutput'...

CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE

but rom started, and works touchscreen,root,apps,vibration

are you using DDMS to view logcat or cmd on windows ?

Could you post your port? I would like to test it.

and +1 to that