Stock 20L: 3g disconnects and huge battery drain

Guest vrowdy

Guest MrOtacon

Thanks a lot! I also read 4.2 is going to be released soon, which includes the new HP kernel from Spica.

No problem buddy :)

Yeah, apparently tomorrow. Using Sipca's second performance pack too.

Im not trying to sway people over to this rom, just offering it as an alternative for now, until GR5 is ready

Some of us do get better performance with this combo than on stock.

Guest lap33733

Does youre battery indicator also freezes? Mine indicates full and in battery status or lock screen I have another value ( sometimes it goes down to 70% before notification bar battery drops from 100%)

Guest MrOtacon

Does youre battery indicator also freezes? Mine indicates full and in battery status or lock screen I have another value ( sometimes it goes down to 70% before notification bar battery drops from 100%)

I had that occuring with the stock when my network died. it would say 100% and as soon as I slid the screen up to unlock, it would half it on some occasions more.

I had that occuring with the stock when my network died. it would say 100% and as soon as I slid the screen up to unlock, it would half it on some occasions more.

I just discovered it's indeed the entire radio that's crashed. I thought it was only 3G, but you can't receive calls either.

Anyway, I've had this happen twice in one day now, so I'm going to flash something else tonight. This is ridiculous.

Guest lap33733

I just discovered it's indeed the entire radio that's crashed. I thought it was only 3G, but you can't receive calls either.

Anyway, I've had this happen twice in one day now, so I'm going to flash something else tonight. This is ridiculous.

Those were the simptoms I was having. They are gone after new baseband flash. GPS and battery not updating bug still here.

Edited by lap33733

Those were the simptoms I was having. They are gone after new baseband flash. GPS and battery not updating bug still here.

Which baseband did you flash exactly then?

And also something with the RIL? Or just baseband?

Guest lap33733

Which baseband did you flash exactly then?

And also something with the RIL? Or just baseband?

New base band 725 from 20l leak, all four files from bigger to smaller. Didn't need to update Ril because it matched with 20l leak. Installed not deodexed because couldn't aquire root with deodexed one.

Guest Ximo F. Verde

This happened to you while you were on Thanatos 4.1? I didnt have cell problems this morning, but data was dead. Doesnt seem resolved, maybe a bit better though. Ill give a bit more testing time maybe

EDIT: Terrible battery life on Thanatos4.1 though.. practically unusable

Edited by Ximo F. Verde

This happened to you while you were on Thanatos 4.1? I didnt have cell problems this morning, but data was dead. Doesnt seem resolved, maybe a bit better though. Ill give a bit more testing time maybe

No, sorry for the confusion, this is still on stock 20L. I haven't had the time to change to something different yet.

New base band 725 from 20l leak, all four files from bigger to smaller. Didn't need to update Ril because it matched with 20l leak. Installed not deodexed because couldn't aquire root with deodexed one.

Strange, I have updated with the 20L KDZ-Flash, so I should already have this baseband. Perhaps these four files are different then.

Guest Ximo F. Verde

Strange, I have updated with the 20L KDZ-Flash, so I should already have this baseband. Perhaps these four files are different then.

If u used the kdz file u definetely have the v20l BB. Note that there are 3 different basebands that show up as 725. The v10d-Jul25, the v20c-Aug2 and the latest v20l (3 fls files) that is included in case of kdz flashing

Guest MrOtacon

No I havent had any data problems, My network is fine now - but your right about the battery life. I've fully calibrated now, and have gone through half my battery whilest browsing the net in bed for an hour or two and my alarms going off this morning.. I snoozed a few times - but ultimately That is trash!

Guest lap33733

Ok just found battery issue it looks like first step ends at 70%.

Guest MrOtacon

Ok just found battery issue it looks like first step ends at 70%.

What Launcher is everyone using, out of curiosity?

I am only asking because, I ran the other 20L rom in mention here for one night with Go Launcher Ex (was fine). Now after running a night with LauncherPro (Paid) Im getting a few FCs, excessive battery drainage and the Network Issue!

Could it be launcher related? (well, I guess it COULD, but is it is what I mean)

Guest Ximo F. Verde

What Launcher is everyone using, out of curiosity?

I am only asking because, I ran the other 20L rom in mention here for one night with Go Launcher Ex (was fine). Now after running a night with LauncherPro (Paid) Im getting a few FCs, excessive battery drainage and the Network Issue!

Could it be launcher related? (well, I guess it COULD, but is it is what I mean)

Ever since v20e leak was out, im on Go Launcher. Therefore, any comment about relative power consumption between GB ROMs that i make, assumes Go Launcher as a constant

Guest MrOtacon

Ever since v20e leak was out, im on Go Launcher. Therefore, any comment about relative power consumption between GB ROMs that i make, assumes Go Launcher as a constant

Thanks for that. Looks like that isn't the issue then. Im now using the baseband from the Thanatos 4.1 page and GR4, with HP RC8 (sp2 is out today / tomorrow) and 999 fixes, combined with the universal ext4 converter. Seems to be running ok now, which leads me to believe something was messed up between baseband and ril.

I will test this further, as it took a couple of hours for the problem to be apparent on GR4 and stock the last time I tried them.

On the *#*#4636#*#* phone information screen, data seems to connect properly all the time - I'm going to monitor logcat for the next few hours - see if anything crops up.

Edited by MrOtacon

Guest Ximo F. Verde

im on thanatos 4.1, real battery killer but havent had a single cell drop, which is good news. had a couple of data drops though, one while typing on xda. i see that there's a single fls v20l bb, so ill try a fresh bb flash, v20L deodexed w stock kernel w different rils, lets see if that works.. if not maybe ill try ur recipe, sounds stable.

EDIT: 1st data drop managed to recover data connection from *#*#36... 2d time impossible

Edited by Ximo F. Verde

im on thanatos 4.1, real battery killer but havent had a single cell drop, which is good news. had a couple of data drops though, one while typing on xda. i see that there's a single fls v20l bb, so ill try a fresh bb flash, v20L deodexed w stock kernel w different rils, lets see if that works.. if not maybe ill try ur recipe, sounds stable.

EDIT: 1st data drop managed to recover data connection from *#*#36... 2d time impossible

I installed Fr19 with baseband still at 0725 from 20L.

Gps works correctly and also the radio hadn't crashed this morning. So, I'll see how this goes the next few days. Too bad I don't have the new Gingerbread features, but stability is way more important to me.

Guest Ximo F. Verde

Ok just an update

Boot in CWM, wiped all, flashed backtoext3, wiped all again, flashed V20l deodexed-rooted, rebooted, set google acounts etc, booted in CWM, flash HP Performance Pack w SR2, rebooted and lets see how this goes..

Guest MrOtacon

Ok just an update

Boot in CWM, wiped all, flashed backtoext3, wiped all again, flashed V20l deodexed-rooted, rebooted, set google acounts etc, booted in CWM, flash HP Performance Pack w SR2, rebooted and lets see how this goes..

Im also anxious to see how that goes.

There is a little drain with 999switch, but hopefully that has been fixed with the V3 of performance pack. Spica states he has fixed the radio and wifi problems. Hopefully he has fixed the 999switch problems (like i say - slight drain and a problem with tones, not build.prop related)

Sod it - Might as well try it myself now actually...

Im also anxious to see how that goes.

There is a little drain with 999switch, but hopefully that has been fixed with the V3 of performance pack. Spica states he has fixed the radio and wifi problems. Hopefully he has fixed the 999switch problems (like i say - slight drain and a problem with tones, not build.prop related)

Sod it - Might as well try it myself now actually...

If you find a stable gingerbread combo with little battery drain and no radio/wifigps issues, please let us know.

Guest MrOtacon

If you find a stable gingerbread combo with little battery drain and no radio/wifigps issues, please let us know.

I definitely plan to find the "Golden" combo :D

How have you gotten on with yours Ximo?

Here is Mine:

O2x Unbranded

Baseband: 20L posted in Thanatos Thread (first Post)

Rom: 20L Stock (rooted and Deox) posted on modaco by Paul

Network: Orange UK (iPhone 4 Mini UMTS Sim, in a simcard converter)

Wiped Data, cache and Dalvik

Converted back to EXT3

Wiped again - For the hell of it (all three)

Installed 20L stock

Rebooted - setup my google account after my wifi

Rebooted to CWM

Installed v3 performance pack

Rebooted, and left phone for 2 minutes after start screen had finished.

Report:

So far, its excellent. No other words describe it from my current experience (only been installed 3 hours)

Nice and fast, and seems stable.

Removed OnScreen Phone after noticing at the three hour mark it had used 44% of my overall usage stats, when I wasn't even using it. Procedure was APK, followed by 2 files from /system/bin and 2 files from /system/lib (to get rid of the "craptastic" Daemon)

Also, removed SNS. I'll use my own app to manage my twitter (WIP).

Probably will remove F-Secure.

No wifi problems, nor Radio problems currently. Have tested the reconnects every few minutes for half an hour or so on *#*#4636#*#* and phone information (causes a fast disconnect, and reconnects after 10-15 seconds)

Youtube works fine for me, as does market and Gmail.

Boot time is faster than Stock.

Launcher Pro seems very smooth (and LG widgets work with fine with AppWidgetPicker)

So far so good, and the GR5 Kitchen now appears to be up!

Thanks for that Paul, I'll subscribe and cook up some grub for myself next week. Gonna test out this Kernel a bit longer first :D

Is there a list of "safe" system apps that can be removed?

***UPDATE***

6 Hours so far - and only 3% battery. Much better so Far

Edited by MrOtacon

Guest Ximo F. Verde

I definitely plan to find the "Golden" combo :D

How have you gotten on with yours Ximo?

Here is Mine:

O2x Unbranded

Baseband: 20L posted in Thanatos Thread (first Post)

Rom: 20L Stock (rooted and Deox) posted on modaco by Paul

Network: Orange UK (iPhone 4 Mini UMTS Sim, in a simcard converter)

Wiped Data, cache and Dalvik

Converted back to EXT3

Wiped again - For the hell of it (all three)

Installed 20L stock

Rebooted - setup my google account after my wifi

Rebooted to CWM

Installed v3 performance pack

Rebooted, and left phone for 2 minutes after start screen had finished.

Report:

So far, its excellent. No other words describe it from my current experience (only been installed 3 hours)

Nice and fast, and seems stable.

Removed OnScreen Phone after noticing at the three hour mark it had used 44% of my overall usage stats, when I wasn't even using it. Procedure was APK, followed by 2 files from /system/bin and 2 files from /system/lib (to get rid of the "craptastic" Daemon)

Also, removed SNS. I'll use my own app to manage my twitter (WIP).

Probably will remove F-Secure.

No wifi problems, nor Radio problems currently. Have tested the reconnects every few minutes for half an hour or so on *#*#4636#*#* and phone information (causes a fast disconnect, and reconnects after 10-15 seconds)

Youtube works fine for me, as does market and Gmail.

Boot time is faster than Stock.

Launcher Pro seems very smooth (and LG widgets work with fine with AppWidgetPicker)

So far so good, and the GR5 Kitchen now appears to be up!

Thanks for that Paul, I'll subscribe and cook up some grub for myself next week. Gonna test out this Kernel a bit longer first :D

Is there a list of "safe" system apps that can be removed?

***UPDATE***

6 Hours so far - and only 3% battery. Much better so Far

Ok, here goes

On v20l deod-root atm, w BB still left from the kdz flash (after trying the stock v20l, moving to thanatos, moving to v20l deod-root) and the HP performance pack w SR2 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1332449) . Have seen ur setup here and at xda. I have flashed things more or less the same way u did, w double wipes etc. I had great battery life (not as good as urs though) but no change in the radio/data issue. Had a couple of drops on both, once needed to reboot to fix it :( . From what i understand, the only difference between our setup, is that you flashed the single fls file (w smartflash i suppose) from thanatos page, isnt it? Ill try doing it this way today, but im starting to become a little pesimistic about it, to be honest

EDIT: Another crazy issue.. Connected on wifi and both market/browser says im offline!

Edited by Ximo F. Verde

Ok, here goes

On v20l deod-root atm, w BB still left from the kdz flash (after trying the stock v20l, moving to thanatos, moving to v20l deod-root) and the HP performance pack w SR2 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1332449) . Have seen ur setup here and at xda. I have flashed things more or less the same way u did, w double wipes etc. I had great battery life (not as good as urs though) but no change in the radio/data issue. Had a couple of drops on both, once needed to reboot to fix it :( . From what i understand, the only difference between our setup, is that you flashed the single fls file (w smartflash i suppose) from thanatos page, isnt it? Ill try doing it this way today, but im starting to become a little pesimistic about it, to be honest

EDIT: Another crazy issue.. Connected on wifi and both market/browser says im offline!

I still have the baseband from 20L KDZ flash, full wipe and install of custom baked gr4, then HP Kernal rc8r (only kernel).

So far, so good but to early to be 100% sure. I had radio drops 2-3 times a day and certainly every morning, but haven't had it in new setup but it might be a coincedence of course.

Gps does work, and the camera hang after recording seems fixed after HP kernel. Battery seems okay, it dropped 10% in 8 hours with 3G connected. That's what I normally have with all Roms and stock. Usually I also disable data at night since I don't need it then.

Also, everything I really fast, wifi turns on really fast so I really hope this is the golden combo, but too early to tell.

Guest Ximo F. Verde

I still have the baseband from 20L KDZ flash, full wipe and install of custom baked gr4, then HP Kernal rc8r (only kernel).

So far, so good but to early to be 100% sure. I had radio drops 2-3 times a day and certainly every morning, but haven't had it in new setup but it might be a coincedence of course.

Gps does work, and the camera hang after recording seems fixed after HP kernel. Battery seems okay, it dropped 10% in 8 hours with 3G connected. That's what I normally have with all Roms and stock. Usually I also disable data at night since I don't need it then.

Also, everything I really fast, wifi turns on really fast so I really hope this is the golden combo, but too early to tell.

It looks that different users w different setups manage to solve the issue.. Dont know what to think really