How to unlock your OMC/SKATE

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Guest xiaoyaoswim

With considerable effort including reviving it from quasi-brick, I finally managed to unlock my OMC. However like the saying goes“if you laugh before breakfast you'll cry before supper”, just on the next daythe miserable phone, which was only brought for two weeks, was dropped into the toilet accidently.

Although I tried to dry it by radiator overnight there is nodisplay when I switch it on afterwards, only the LED turns red. I guess the LCD was damaged by short circuit. I called Orange customer service, just as expected they said they could do nothing to help. The request to get discounted price for a new one was refused either. I found someone on this forum successfully got a replacement for a bricked OMC, but obviously a water-damaged one in my case couldn’t be that lucky.

Bricking a mobile is not the worst, toileting it is… What a sad day!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tilal6991 has kindly made a simplified and comprehensive tutorial, you can find everything you need for unlocking there. If you have already unlocked your phone before John W's permanent solution for WIFI came out, you can go to this turtorial to fix it.

The following part is my original post (on page 2) of the instruction how I managed to unlock my OMC. In the update & note part you will also find how amazing the progress is going once the community powered up together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody! I'm back, just finish preparing everything and my dinner. Firstly I would like to thank everyone in this thread who trust me and kindly support me, and also I quite understand those who show scepticism.

WARNING: There is low level rom flash involved in this process, therefore it could be extreme dangerous. One of the potential risks is to lose your IMEI and/or WLAN, Bluetooth MAC address. Actually I lost my IMEI and BT address once and I had to manually edit it back. I suggest you manually backup the Channel1.nvm file generated when you run the flash tool for the first time. It is essential as you could get your NV back by this file.

Ok, here you go!

1. Download and extract this zip file , the extraction password is my id “xiaoyaoswim” : ). It is composed of the modified version of ZTE windows flash tool from hedgepigdaniel , plus special roms which will unlock your phone.

2. Download system.img (which is the 2.3.5 stock rom of retail Skate, provided by reo2xor ) and put system.img inside the fold of FTM flash tools \files.

Note for advanced users: Due to the large size of the system.img file, I didn’t include it in the zip file. Of course you can replace it with any customed 2.3.5 rom you want, as long as you are aware what you are doing.

3. Ensure your handset is in official recovery partition, if you have changed it flash the official one back. Any customed one like ClockworkMod will not boot in official FTM mode, and this could cause loss of your phone’s NV memory, i.e. lost IMEI (This is exactly what I suffered at the beginning).

4. Boot your phone into FTM mode by: remove the battery, and then hold the volume down key and connect the USB cable at the same time. Do not release the volume down key until you see "FTM" on the screen of your mobile.

5. You are supposed to have ZTE driver properly installed in windows beforehand. Run download.exe, you should find the port number where your phone is connected displayed correctly in the software interface. Just click start and wait the flash process to be completed.

6. When the flash process is successfully done, remove the USB cable and put back your battery and any SIM card you like. If you follow everything I mentioned above and everything goes alright, when switching on you mobile there should be no more popup of unlock code request anymore, Just the same as a factory unlocked Skate!

Good luck! Any feedback is welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Update & Note

Update 0:58 11/11/2011

1.Unlocking has been proved to be valid by several users.

2. A problem of missing WLAN MAC address is also confirmed, reason remaining unknown although some workaround is available.

Update 3:42 11/11/2011

1. Workaround to fix the WIFI: Once rooted your mobile, go to system/etc, find two files named nv-4**9, edit it, and change the macaddr=00:11:22:33:44:55 to a valid address (Ideally to your original MAC). Save the file and you will be able to get the wifi working.

2. tilal6991 is writing a new unlocking tourorial, hopefully it will be easier to follow.

3. Missing RecordCSV.sdi file needed for some vista/win7 OS (thanks for the link by tillaz )

4. PayPal Donation link added, Thanks for your contribution towards my new OMC.

Update 15:53 11/11/2011

1.There is still no permanent solution for the WIFI problem yet. Even restore the whole Orange stock back will not help, as confirmed by kevwales & glossywhite. In addition, until now no possible means available to return your omc back to locked state, so you might lose your warranty from Orange. Use At Your Own Risk

2. Some more description about how to fix the MAC address temporarily: Basically, you need to root your phone first, and then download some file manager like ES File Explorer from the market, change the settings by ticking root explorer and mount file system (thanks to mike_), following by nvigating to the directory of system/etc. There you will find two files named nv-4**9, press and select ES note editor and then change the macaddr=00:11:22:33:44:55 to a valid address (Ideally to your original MAC). If not, you can try some simple one like 00-50-56-C0-00-08. Edit and save for both nv-4**9 files.

3.Regarding to root your phone, please go for this package http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D7NKE5AR (made by Johnny Hung). Note that the superboot image is different for 2.3.4 and 2.3.5

Update 23:04 11/11/2011

1. Title has been changed as advised. If you can risk losing your warranty you may use this unlocking method. Just make sure you record your original MAC address before unlocking.

2. tilal6991's tutorial is ready to follow. and you will find how to restore to stock recovery in that guide.

3. ZTE Windows driver is added http://www.multiupload.com/BQ7VQOQA4L

4.Regardingto the MAC address editing, there are two lines including “macadress=” in nv-4**9file, which might make some people confusing. In fact the one beginning with #is just an annotation. You only need to edit the line containing“macaddr=00:11:22:33:44:55”.

Update 18:45 12/11/2011

1.Theoretically this method should be suitable for other versions of ZTE skates, which are locked to different providers other than Orange UK. SFR Staraddict unlocking has been confirmed by Chris_67

2. tilal6991 has pointed out only nv_4319.txt in system/etc needs to be modified.

Update 0:56 13/11/2011

Successful unlock on Skate from Movistar Spain has been confirmed by painkiller_93, and also Optimus Monte Carlo by D3abL3.

Update 3:06 13/11/2011

Great news: John W just found a way to prevent WIFI MAC loss and potential NVITEMS loss (Many thanks to John!). Now a perfect solution is going to be realized. If you find it difficult to follow John's idea, please HOLD the unlocking action until the tutorial to be updated.

Update 16:50 13/11/2011

John W's suggestion has already been incorporated into the tutorial by tilal6991. Also glossywhite figured out how to permanent fix the WIFI problem. Now I think the unlock solution is almost perfect.

Update 15:19 31/12/2011

Donation link has been removed, as I've got enough for my new OMC. Many thanks again to all the donors & Happy new year!

Edited by xiaoyaoswim

Hi, how did you manage to unlock it? You mentioning that you revived it from a quasibrick made me wonder if it was not through an official Orange unlock code?

Thanks

when ever you drop a phone in water you should remove the battery immediately... & never power on

bury your phone in a big bowl of rice straight out the packet & leave over night

With considerable effort including reviving it fromquasi-brick, I finally managed to unlock my OMC. However like the saying goes“if you laugh before breakfast you'll cry before supper”, just on the next daythe miserable phone, which was only brought for two weeks, was dropped into the toilet accidently.

Although I tried to dry it by radiator overnight there is nodisplay when I switch it on afterwards, only the LED turns red. I guess the LCDwas damaged by short circuit. I called Orange customer service, just asexpected they said they could do nothing to help. The request to get discountedprice for a new one was refused either. I found someone on this forum successfullygot a replacement for a bricked OMC, but obviously a water-damaged one in mycase couldn’t be that lucky.

Bricking a mobile is not the worst, toileting it is… What asad day!

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuureee :)

Guest xiaoyaoswim

when ever you drop a phone in water you should remove the battery immediately... & never power on

bury your phone in a big bowl of rice straight out the packet & leave over night

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I thought my mobile already died. I picked it out after a freeze of about 10 second (I just couldn't believe what happened), then I removed the battery and wiped every part by tissue. I didn't turn it on again until left it close to the rediator for a whole night.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Hi, how did you manage to unlock it? You mentioning that you revived it from a quasibrick made me wonder if it was not through an official Orange unlock code?

Thanks

Yes, I unlocked it myself, not through Orange.

In fact, I am willing to share my method toeveryone who is looking forward for it. I am a newbie here, but I do found lotsof useful information from this forum over the past few days. The problem is, as far as I know, atpresent there is no unlocking method available around the internet. So I am not sure whether it will cause me trouble if I publish my method here. Orange obvious doesn’tlike people to unlock OMC by themselves.

Guest tilal6991

In fact, I am willing to share my method toeveryone who is looking forward for it. I am a newbie here, but I do found lotsof useful information from this forum over the past few days. The problem is, as far as I know, atpresent there is no unlocking method available around the internet. So I am not sure whether it will cause me trouble if I publish my method here. Orange obvious doesn’tlike people to unlock OMC by themselves.

publish it please. Orange wont like it but they can't do anything about it. and it's not illegal so its all good :)

Guest Frankish

You will be a hero if you post the method. You can't get in trouble for it but please don't say you can do it without proof. The Internet is a cruel place and people are very sceptical.

Hope you have another handset to use!

Guest zomgbugs

Share Share Share Share ... Before I lose all my Hare Hare Hare ( Hair - I thought it rhymed better)

Guest xiaoyaoswim

If it's absolutely legal and there is really nothing to worry about , I am going to prepare an instruction how I managed to unlock it, and to upload necessary files. I don't have a decent internet speed right now. so please be patient.

I hope you understand my scepticism, but considering all facts I'd rather not believe you made it.

Considering your first post in this forum was this, considering you claim that you managed to unlock it and with all the bad luck and bad timing in the world it fell in the toilet....

Unless you post some good proofs and the files you mention are "certified", I can't trust your good will...

If you indeed post this unlocking tutorial and it really works, I'll gladly buy you a beer.

P.S.: There is nothing wrong with unlock methods, except the operator don't like'em :)

Can't wait for your tuto.

Edited by D3abL3

I hope you understand my scepticism, but considering all facts I'd rather not believe you made it.

Considering your first post in this forum was this, considering you claim that you managed to unlock it and with all the bad luck and bad timing in the world it fell in the toilet....

Unless you post some good proofs and the files you mention are "certified", I can't trust your good will...

If you indeed post this unlocking tutorial and it really works, I'll gladly buy you a beer.

That sounds a bit harsh to me, I'd suggest it appropriate not to be so antagonistic initially.

I would strongly suggest that assuming it works we each donate him a few pounds until he's got enough to get himself a new Monte Carlo as a thank you.

I would strongly suggest that assuming it works we each donate him a few pounds until he's got enough to get himself a new Monte Carlo as a thank you.

Agreed. I'm up for that.

That sounds a bit harsh to me, I'd suggest it appropriate not to be so antagonistic initially.

Harsh? I'm sorry but I don't want to brick my device.

I am sorry if I offend anyone or even the OP, but this is the harsh reality we live in... there is good people and there is bad people...

And btw....I told him that if this works I'll gladly buy him a beer( in case you don't know, this means to donate to him )

Not harsh at all, it only takes one person to come on this forum and raise everyones hopes, until something is proven and working then I guess anything else is the saying from that person, i'll kindly donate £5 via Paypal for an unlock if it happens :)

With considerable effort including reviving it fromquasi-brick, I finally managed to unlock my OMC. However like the saying goes“if you laugh before breakfast you'll cry before supper”, just on the next daythe miserable phone, which was only brought for two weeks, was dropped into the toilet accidently.

Although I tried to dry it by radiator overnight there is nodisplay when I switch it on afterwards, only the LED turns red. I guess the LCDwas damaged by short circuit. I called Orange customer service, just asexpected they said they could do nothing to help. The request to get discountedprice for a new one was refused either. I found someone on this forum successfullygot a replacement for a bricked OMC, but obviously a water-damaged one in mycase couldn’t be that lucky.

Bricking a mobile is not the worst, toileting it is… What asad day!

Btw...your picture looks like you once worked for ZTE and now a rebel, I hope you are that person who shares all their dirty little secrets lol :lol:

Guest glossywhite

come now. I know the reasons for being suspicious but at least give him a chance of posting his method. Then we can judge him.

You're right. Please edit your quotes of me, I have changed my words. :)

looking forward to you sharing this unlock method.....

would be nice if you could drop a couple of hints of how it actually works, while we wait...

Edited by tillaz

looking forward to you sharing this unlock method.....

would be nice if you could drop a couple of hints of how it actually works, while we wait...

He is a former ZTE employee.