Tutorial - Get your MAC Address if you already unlocked - NOW UP!

Guest tilal6991

Guest xiaoyaoswim

is it possible to copy the backup qcn file and paste it from qspt?

and keep it for a rainy day. i was just thinking people would then just have to use qspt to restore the qcn file and leave the hex editer out. as i think they are scared to use it.it might be safer.

Every phone's QCN file is different. It contains unique info, e.g. IMEI. It is a good idea to keep a copy of QCN file for your own phone, although you cannot simply let other people to restore your QCN file.

Guest PhilAtkinson

Sorry, I've been out all day & am just getting back to my Monte Carlo :-) I've just installed the Atomic Blue v 1.5 & have followed the instructions given below. Using a rooted phone I can now save my NV_4319.txt file which is good so many thanks for that. Next I need to work out how to update my *.qcn file which is failing because I presume that I do not have the appropriate permissions to write data to my device. Any ideas?

Now you have clockwork installed download a rom like bluemonte and stick it on using clockworkmod, download from here if you dont have the apk and install es file explorer, go into es file explorer settings and tick "Root Explorer" then tick "Mount File System" and for me I had to go into "Home Directory" and change from /sdcard/ to just / . Then navigate to system/etc and open file "open as" - "text" - "es note editor" - edit it and save it. make sure you edit macaddr= and leave #macaddr= alone.

also sent you pm.

Guest PhilAtkinson

There was no error when I reinstalled the edited *.qcn file. When I first started to do this my phone would automatically reboot immediately after the reinstallation of the *.qcn file but when I started asking what I was doing wrong, because the *.qcn file could not be reloaded a member said that I need to keep the phone in FTM mode. So now, when the phone starts to reboot immediately after reloading the new *.qcn file I hit the Vol- button to put the phone back into FTM mode. Then I remove the battery, disconnect from USB, reinstall the battery & retart the phone but when I try & use the WiFi I am not able to.

I've now been able to edit the NV_4219.txt file, using Atomic Blue v 1.5 file on a rooted phone, so that I can use WiFi now but I'd like to do it properly so that I don't have to bother about it in the future. Do you have any ideas?

Afaik you already backed up, edited and restored the *.qcn file, but it did not work.

Did it give any error when restoring the *.qcn or something?

When the restore reached near the end did your phone keep rebooting or did it go straight in FTM?

Guest putbinoot

There was no error when I reinstalled the edited *.qcn file. When I first started to do this my phone would automatically reboot immediately after the reinstallation of the *.qcn file but when I started asking what I was doing wrong, because the *.qcn file could not be reloaded a member said that I need to keep the phone in FTM mode. So now, when the phone starts to reboot immediately after reloading the new *.qcn file I hit the Vol- button to put the phone back into FTM mode. Then I remove the battery, disconnect from USB, reinstall the battery & retart the phone but when I try & use the WiFi I am not able to.

I've now been able to edit the NV_4219.txt file, using Atomic Blue v 1.5 file on a rooted phone, so that I can use WiFi now but I'd like to do it properly so that I don't have to bother about it in the future. Do you have any ideas?

I can't understand how the phone is rebooting I am sure when I clicked restore and after restore finished the phone just sat there in FTM. Once you have selected the modified qcn and clicked start are you doing anything else. Have you checked qcn before you transfer it to confirm you have modified it correctly, what hex editor are you using.

Guest PhilAtkinson

Thanks for this; it's a useful explanation for me. Whist my phone has superuser installed I am not too sure how to root my phone with this since I was not able to save NV_4319.txt. However, I need to try & use ES Explorer to root, so will reinstall & try that once I've eaten something. Can someone perhaps please explain how to root the phone as I think that will be a useful thing to do long term? I'm probably just not doing something that needs to be done. My phone may have the capability to be rooted but was not currently so.

I've been able to root the phone by installing another ROM (Atomic Blue) & saving the NV_4319.txt file so at least I can use WiFi etc. Everythhing appears to be working correctly but I'd like to correct the problem once & for all. So any advice you have will be extemely useful & much appreciated.

As for running the *.qcn file i'd have to rerun the whole process, which I'll do after some food & report back. However, given all that I know & the fact that everything is ok with the phone right now, albeit temporary, I suspect that the *.qcn file did not load at all as previously reported :-) Appreciate all the help so far; much appreciated.

You can verify if you have successfully restore the modified QCN file by backing up another copy of QCN file after the restoration process and then to check it by hex editor. If the data of mac address in the new QCN is still 00 11 22 33 44 55 then you haven't successfully restored the qcn. If you do find your edited mac address in that data part, I couldn't explain why the mac address of your phone remains unchanged.

As to NV-4319.txt, I think you have already gained root access to your phone and you just need to do what putbinoot suggested to edit the NV-4319.txt file. I think you have some misunderstanding about superboot and clockworkmod. The purpose of superboot is to install su and superuser.apk to your phone and that will root your phone. The fact that you found superuser in the app list after installing superboot indicated that your phone have been rooted. Clockworkmod, however, will not root you phone itself. It just provide you with a convenient way to install any custom ROMs (which are normally rooted ROM).

Guest PhilAtkinson

I have tried both the HxD and the XV132 editors; I even sent both files over to someone who verified that the files were correctly edited & saved. All I am doing is selecting the modified *.qcn in restore and then waitng for the process to finish after selecting start & then finally exit is made available. When the exit appears I select it. Initially the phone was rebooting after the reinstallation, all without me doing anything so at this stage someone told me to hit the Vol - button to take it back into FTM mode. This is what I currently do.

I can't understand how the phone is rebooting I am sure when I clicked restore and after restore finished the phone just sat there in FTM. Once you have selected the modified qcn and clicked start are you doing anything else. Have you checked qcn before you transfer it to confirm you have modified it correctly, what hex editor are you using.

Guest putbinoot

I have tried both the HxD and the XV132 editors; I even sent both files over to someone who verified that the files were correctly edited & saved. All I am doing is selecting the modified *.qcn in restore and then waitng for the process to finish after selecting start & then finally exit is made available. When the exit appears I select it. Initially the phone was rebooting after the reinstallation, all without me doing anything so at this stage someone told me to hit the Vol - button to take it back into FTM mode. This is what I currently do.

Not at a PC just now but I am sure that after the transfer I just pulled out USB from phone, pulled out battery then put it straight back in and booted phone using power button as normal, then I just shut qpst down.

Guest PhilAtkinson

I've reinstalled the stock ROM now, set the phone into FTM mode & downloaded a *.qcn file. Interestingly, this time I could not find the '11 22 33 44 55 66' that I tried to replace the first time I restored the edited *.qcn file. On comparison with the original *.qcn file there is a hex number which is as follows: 51 55 41 4C 43 4F. The display under settings for the WiFi Mac Address is still showing 11 22 33 44 55 66 & it still does not work. The WiFi Mac Address that still appears in my NV_4319.txt file in /System/etc is still 11 22 33 44 55 66. Now I'm a little confused because I was expecting the phone to have exactly the same *.qcn file this time!

Since I don't like to play around with the HEX Editor as I can do serious damage, I thought I should first ask what I should do. Should I be trying to replace the 51 55 41 4C 43 4F that appears in this new *.qcn file or is there something else that I should be doing. I have reviewed my original *.qcn file & my restore file and can confirm that the only data that is different is the 11 22 33 44 55 66 which was replaced by my WiFi Mac Address; I know that I did nothing incorrect in that process as I am extremely careful. It just seems strange that I am having problems with the WiFi on my phone & I am pretty sure that this has something to do with it.

I do note that you are saying to search for '00 11 22 33 44 55' & the instructions are saying '11 22 33 44 55 66' Is there a reason for this difference?

What should I be doing next?

You can verify if you have successfully restore the modified QCN file by backing up another copy of QCN file after the restoration process and then to check it by hex editor. If the data of mac address in the new QCN is still 00 11 22 33 44 55 then you haven't successfully restored the qcn. If you do find your edited mac address in that data part, I couldn't explain why the mac address of your phone remains unchanged.

As to NV-4319.txt, I think you have already gained root access to your phone and you just need to do what putbinoot suggested to edit the NV-4319.txt file. I think you have some misunderstanding about superboot and clockworkmod. The purpose of superboot is to install su and superuser.apk to your phone and that will root your phone. The fact that you found superuser in the app list after installing superboot indicated that your phone have been rooted. Clockworkmod, however, will not root you phone itself. It just provide you with a convenient way to install any custom ROMs (which are normally rooted ROM).

Guest metal.mickey

Right. im in Phils boat, Ive rooted, installed bluemonte and am running the unlocked phone.

Ive manged to change the macaddress via the es file explorer method and saved the file.

but my wifi still doesnt work

it says scanning : connecting : disconnected in the Wifi settings over and over again.

any ideas.

the macaddress is valid, i copied one from the mac address generator. In the About>status>MAC ADDRESS it says 17:D2:2B:BA:30:94

Edited by metal.mickey

Guest PhilAtkinson

I find that I need to edit both the NV_4319 & the NV_4329 files when I do it manually on the stock ROM. When I did it on the Atomic Blue ROM I only needed to edit the NV_4319.txt file so it may be worth trying to edit the NV_4329.txt file as well.

Right. im in Phils boat, Ive rooted, installed bluemonte and am running the unlocked phone.

Ive manged to change the macaddress via the es file explorer method and saved the file.

it says scanning : connecting : disconnected in the Wifi settings over and over again.

any ideas.

Guest putbinoot

any ideas.

the macaddress is valid, i copied one from the mac address generator. In the About>status>MAC ADDRESS it says 17:D2:2B:BA:30:94

In wifi settings select your network and tell the phone to forget it then let it scan again so you have to enter the password again.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

I've reinstalled the stock ROM now, set the phone into FTM mode & downloaded a *.qcn file. Interestingly, this time I could not find the '11 22 33 44 55 66' that I tried to replace the first time I restored the edited *.qcn file. On comparison with the original *.qcn file there is a hex number which is as follows: 51 55 41 4C 43 4F. The display under settings for the WiFi Mac Address is still showing 11 22 33 44 55 66 & it still does not work. The WiFi Mac Address that still appears in my NV_4319.txt file in /System/etc is still 11 22 33 44 55 66. Now I'm a little confused because I was expecting the phone to have exactly the same *.qcn file this time!

Since I don't like to play around with the HEX Editor as I can do serious damage, I thought I should first ask what I should do. Should I be trying to replace the 51 55 41 4C 43 4F that appears in this new *.qcn file or is there something else that I should be doing. I have reviewed my original *.qcn file & my restore file and can confirm that the only data that is different is the 11 22 33 44 55 66 which was replaced by my WiFi Mac Address; I know that I did nothing incorrect in that process as I am extremely careful. It just seems strange that I am having problems with the WiFi on my phone & I am pretty sure that this has something to do with it.

I do note that you are saying to search for '00 11 22 33 44 55' & the instructions are saying '11 22 33 44 55 66' Is there a reason for this difference?

What should I be doing next?

Sorry for the '00 11 22 33 44 55' thing, it was just my mistake.

It seems that you do have successfully changed and restored the QCN since the data of 11 22 33 44 55 66 has been changed.

Is 51 55 41 4C 43 4F the MAC address you recorded before the unlock process? If not, please replace it with your mac address and restore the new qcn again. If that is already your MAC, it would be very strangeblink.gif The only thing I could suggest is that you flash to stock ROM (stock System ROM, stock Recovery and stock Boot; the easiest way to get every thing back to stock is to flash an Orange image.bin via TPT)to see if the MAC address is displayed correctly in your phone.

Guest PhilAtkinson

Thanks; I reloaded the stock ROM as suggested and then redid the whole processs. This time I rooted the phone before reflashing the *.qcn file. I have to say that I have no idea why the downloaded *.qcn file was different to the first one as the address was not changed by me but after much thought I decided that it would not do any harm to reload my original edited file. My thinking was that it should not brick the phone! So that's what I did & lo & behold everything seems to be ok now. My problem was that the phone was not rooted prior to doing the reload; it's the problem I thought I had but could not work out how to deal with it since the phone should have been rooted. Anyway, it's all ok now I think as the original WiFi Mac address is displayed in the settings & I can log onto my local WiFi.

So a big thank you to all those people who contributed to this resolution; you've all been a great help :-)

Sorry for the '00 11 22 33 44 55' thing, it was just my mistake.

It seems that you do have successfully changed and restored the QCN since the data of 11 22 33 44 55 66 has been changed.

Is 51 55 41 4C 43 4F the MAC address you recorded before the unlock process? If not, please replace it with your mac address and restore the new qcn again. If that is already your MAC, it would be very strangeblink.gif The only thing I could suggest is that you flash to stock ROM (stock System ROM, stock Recovery and stock Boot; the easiest way to get every thing back to stock is to flash an Orange image.bin via TPT)to see if the MAC address is displayed correctly in your phone.

Guest Christian Edwards

Thanks Guys, got through it in the end, got stuck backing up to qcn as the phone kept rebooting, but once I read though the whole thread and found the bit replacing the battery once into FTM I was away.

Just show you need look before you leap!

Guest metal.mickey

Still no joy,

Ive installed stock rom and run the "install-recovery-windows" to enable FTM mode.

from there ive connected the usb cable with debugging enabled and pressed the VOL- to go into FTM mode.

Ive opened QPST and run the software download app. Clicked the BACKUP tab and backed up the .QCN file.

Rebooted the phone and checked the mac address and its listed as 11:22:33:44:55:66

Ive opened the HEXneo program and done FIND 11 22 33 44 55 66 > String not found.

ive reinstalled clockwork mod and installed blue monty but still no joy....

any ideas

MM

Guest mikhd002

Still no joy,

Ive installed stock rom and run the "install-recovery-windows" to enable FTM mode.

from there ive connected the usb cable with debugging enabled and pressed the VOL- to go into FTM mode.

Ive opened QPST and run the software download app. Clicked the BACKUP tab and backed up the .QCN file.

Rebooted the phone and checked the mac address and its listed as 11:22:33:44:55:66

Ive opened the HEXneo program and done FIND 11 22 33 44 55 66 > String not found.

ive reinstalled clockwork mod and installed blue monty but still no joy....

any ideas

MM

I originally tried it with hex neo, and I coudn't find it either, but then I tried using the hex editor used in the video, in the OP and did it with no problems, I think its a problem with hex editor neo.

Guest mikhd002

I unlocked my phone before the mac address fix, and I subsequently went through the tutorial on how to fix this. I had previously changed the MAC address back through ES File Explorer, but as I was experimenting with ROMs, I kept having to use 3G to download ES File Explorer in order to fix the wi-fi, so I decided to follow the tutorial. The trouble is, that although my wi-fi now works (mostly) without problems (except for a very weak signal), whenever I connect to it, it comes up with this message 'your phone doesn't write MAC address, please confirm'. I have no idea what this means, or what I have to do to fix it, but when I go into ES File Explorer, the MAC address seems fine.

Edited by mikhd002