Galaxy Nexus - UK stock and pricing update

Guest Karucifer

Guest Karucifer

While we've finally sourced units for review, our inquiries on stock levels and pricing of the Galaxy Nexus are far from over. Yesterday was the launch day and while many stores didn't have devices for sale, there was quite a lot happening at places such as Phones 4U Oxford Street, where Samsung laid on a free breakfast, gave out vouchers and customers could buy a phone off-contract for £529.

Today things got a little better, but also went downhill ever so slightly. Stock landed in most of O2's stores and more Phones 4U branches got hold of devices to sell.

However, if you visited Phones 4U today with £529 in hand, you would have left disappointed. We were contacted by multitudes of our community members and followers on Twitter and informed that Phones 4U had hiked their prices on the handset-only option by £100, in some stores they were also asking the customer to also pay for a mandatory £10 top-up fee to deter 'box-breaking'.

This obviously hasn't gone down particularly well, so we took up the cause and have been in contact with Phones 4U to clarify the situation.

Long story short, P4U were seeing high levels of customers choosing to go handset-only and as a retailer primarily of contract handsets, they took the decision to increase the simfree cost of the devices.

The good news is that following our discussions with them and other customer feedback, Phones 4U have contacted us this afternoon to assured us that the decision is being reversed. From tomorrow stores will revert to selling the handset at the original price :)

Additionally, if you paid £629 today, you can contact Phones 4U's Customer Relations team and they'll credit you the £100. B)

We're not going to blow our own horns here, we're sure we weren't the only outlet in contact with Phones 4U about the change, but it just goes to show that customer feedback can make a difference.

So, next time things go awry, feel free to poke Paul or myself via Twitter, or let us know via the forums what's happening. We can't make any promises, but we can at least try to let vendors, networks and retailers know how you feel :lol:

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest Karucifer

They made a mistake, but plenty of retailers do that (all the time where the high street is concerned).

Important thing imo is they listened, admitted error and reversed it.

Guest Neil294

Visited Phones4U on Oxford Street at lunchtime and discussed the phone and various options. The very friendly customer service rep told me that Samsung had upped the price because they realised the phone was in such demand and they could make more money. Guessing Samsung would not be happy with lines like that.

He also mentioned that they sold about 130 phones yesterday, most of them sim-free. In addition, he also told me how it was running the latest version of Mango...bless

Guest FatherD

How did I not bump into you Neil294 .. perhaps we all need a secret Modaco sign, badge or hand-shake!

I was in there around lunchtime, the guy assumed I wanted to buy one when I asked to LOOK at one .. started asking all the questions and entering it into the system - WOAH boy .. then he was truly reluctant to unpack one for me to look at, he made no mention of the price until I said "They are around £550 yeah!? .." then BAM .. " No, Samsung upped the price to £629 " .. that was when I walked. Later in the day called into 3 on the off chance .. bagged one for £515. Sorted!

Amazon UK are showing expected release date of 2/12/2011... have they made a mistake? Alternatively (if you're happy to wait) amazon.de have it reduced and the current conversion is £460ish...

I notice phones4u are showing it on all networks, but you don't seem to be able to go direct to Vodafone for the device.. will that ever be an option, might be able to get it as a work phone if it's available direct form Vodafone.

FatherD... The one that you got from Three, is it locked do you know? I have one on the way (Eventually) for £499 (If you have a Sim Zero contract you can call upgrades and just pay £499 for the handset so you don't have to pay £10/£15 for a voucher) but you do have to listen to Hard Sell from an Indian Call Centre about how it would be better to pay £37/month and get the phone for free!

Guest Karucifer

@JimiB - Vodafone have announced that they're doing more testing of the device before they release it direct.

@Mark - AFAIK they are sim-locked, yes, other user reports we've had are to that effect.

Guest Neil294

FatherD - I had to wait for someone else to finish looking at the phone before I had my play - you weren't to the left of a pillar in the basement were you? I had exactly the same experience, though the deal I was being offer was tempting:

£100 for the phone

£36 pm for Orange w/900 mins + 1Gb data

Upgrade after 18 months

Pity I only want it sim-free.

Think I'll wait a few weeks until more suppliers have unlocked versions in stock

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.