Unstable phone GSM signal

Guest lekker

I was on modaco FR12 and sometimes I got weak unstable gsm signal and I had to switch to 2G to get stable signal, but I started to notice this issue a lot more after updating to GR4, I got low gsm signal, many times no signal at all even switching to 2G doesn't help!

Now I've updated to GR5 (0725 v20l BB) (core+stock) and at first looked like it was better than in GR4 but I'm not sure any more, sometimes I have to reboot to get some GSM signal.

GetRIL says I've the correct RIL (v20l Italy?)

When I've got no signal, Phono & Open signal maps says I've 20%-50% signal, so I guess it may not be an hardware issue.

Now sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get gsm signal.

post-941089-0-51277900-1321805317_thumb.

Edited by lekker

Same here. Went back to baseband 0662 and it helped. I've tried the baseband 0725 on many different roms and they all had the same fault.... loosing network so I had to reboot 2-3 times a day. I've reflashed the baseband 0725 from modaco(first was from LG update), but it didn't help...?

Guest mirolud

I agree with you both - my unscientific impression is that 0725 baseband behaves worse than the previous one. To be precise: on FR18 my phone behaved very well but since I upgraded to "stock" GB (via LG update app) it seems to be loosing signal easier. Not that I had to restart the phone but anyway I had a few rather long "lost signal" periods so far. The phone was able to catch up again though.

Guest mirolud

OK, it did it again: when coming to work I have one place in the building where the signal is lost. It seems that the phone is unable to recover automatically from this. Playing with the "2G/3G" switch helps, but this is not how it should be. I think it's time to check how the 0622 BB will work ...

Same here. Went back to baseband 0662 and it helped. I've tried the baseband 0725 on many different roms and they all had the same fault.... loosing network so I had to reboot 2-3 times a day. I've reflashed the baseband 0725 from modaco(first was from LG update), but it didn't help...?

Are you using BB 0662 on GR5? you had to switch to another RIL after? do you still have some signal drops?

Mine sometimes looks better than on Gr4 but today it got worst again, I'm for almost one hour with no signal, although the app "open signal maps shos signal strenght from 20% to 70%!!! :angry:

Guest SuperSkill

I feel that 20l are using long time to be activated. Even if the rils are recommended or matching. Considering 622 for GB and Froyo to compare after using the 725 and Italy ril:-)

Guest mirolud

That's strange but my phone improved after flashing Gr5 with MCKr26 - and I have not touched the baseband yet ...

Strictly speaking I did following:

1) Baked core with MCKr26 only,

2) Entered recovery and wiped Dalvik cache (pleasenote - I have not wiped data or cache) ,

3) Flashed the above ROM over what I had (pre-baked Gr5 with stock option pack),

4) Booted the phone to conclude that I lost all "stock" applications I should have,

5) Back to recovery and flashed pre-baked stock option pack (no wiping at all).

6) Rebooted and it's seems to be OK from now on.

Now, I still can loose the signal in places which I know they have problems with signal (e.g. parking place in the basement) but the phone is recovering from this with no issue. Previously it could have remained with no signal for a longer period of time. Please note that I'm still on the same BB (which is 0725) and (probably) the same RIL. It's really weird, isn't it?

Edited by mirolud

If I'm only in 2G the signal is stable, the problem is when I turn to 3G it turns unstable.

Someone using Gr5 (v20L) and other BB than the recommended (with success) please post.

It's weird that only a few of us have this problem, do we have different hardware versions?

Guest mirolud

I checked behaviour of my phone on 3G (just to recap, I'm on Gr5, MCKr26, BB 0725 and RIL from Gr5) and no problems noticed. Switching to/from 2G is OK. Recovery from lost signal is also OK. Please note that this changed after reflashing the ROM with different kernel (original -> MCK26) so either it is a matter of the different kernel or a matter of wiping the Dalvik cache. Why don't you try doing this, I mean: enter recovery and wipe Dalvik cache, reboot and check if this helped or not. Even if it will not help it will not hurt ;)

Edited by mirolud

I checked behaviour of my phone on 3G (just to recap, I'm on Gr5, MCKr26, BB 0725 and RIL from Gr5) and no problems noticed. Switching to/from 2G is OK. Recovery from lost signal is also OK. Please note that this changed after reflashing the ROM with different kernel (original -> MCK26) so either it is a matter of the different kernel or a matter of wiping the Dalvik cache. Why don't you try doing this, I mean: enter recovery and wipe Dalvik cache, reboot and check if this helped or not. Even if it will not help it will not hurt ;)

I've wiped the dalvik cache and it didn't help, in fact it got worse, only after a few reboots I finally got 2G signal, and 3G keeps random and even switching to 2G doesn't work, I have to reboot to get 2G signal again, so maybe it's worse than before. I flashed core+stock, what do we have different then, HW version?

post-941089-0-70259900-1322317413_thumb.

Now I've tried a with another SIM card (a newer one) from the same network and it works. So I guess my SIM card (from 2001) has something to do with it too.:huh:

Edited by lekker

I finaly solved this issue by flashing the 0622 Baseband, but I had to keep the RIL 0725 (V20L), with 0622 RIL it doesn't work!

Well it seems that it's not over yet... It kept breaking the signal or having false signal (I was receiving text messages saying someone called me but the phone didn't ring).

So I've flashed the BaseBand 0725 again and moved from Gr5 to CM7.

It seems better, so I checked the RIL and it was 0218 (v10b), I've updated to the recomended RIL 0725 (v10d) and It got worse, tried the last RILs (v20j, v20l) 0823 0824 and nothing...

got back to RIL 0218 (V10b), it keeps loosing signal now and then... but seems like it's the less bad one...

Edited by lekker