Advent Vega Memory

Guest Dringeruk

Guest Dringeruk

Hi all.

New to the forum so be gentle with me please. ;)

Have been trawling the net and various forums getting very confused on which tablet to by for my children 12 and 8 ( and for me to use of course).

They currently use our HTC desires that me and the wife have so for this reason and obvious cost saving over the Ipad we decided to purchase 2 Vega's from PC world.

Want the pads so the kids can do the usual..... internet, facebook, web cam, iplayer, videos etc, Angry birds and other games.

Haven't opened them yet as there for xmas so apart from the store Tablet not had any time on them.

My main concern is the amount of in built memory. After all the trawling and obsorbing all the tech info i thought it had 4 gb of memory. Feel very embarressed as i like to think i make good buying decisions.

Que - Does the 512k cause any issues with what i want the tablet for?

Que - Looking for a stable tablet to do the above so i assume Corvus5 is my best Rom option?

Obviously people have there favourite tablet so i need some assurance that my decision was ok as i 've bought the tablets already........probably should have asked the question before buying lol.

Great forum by the way. Thanks in advance.

Dringeruk

Edited by Dringeruk

Guest simonta

i thought it had 4 gb of memory

That's the extended memory in the replaceable SD card for holding files (music, video etc). You can replace it for any size you like but 4GB is a lot to start with.

Que - Does the 512k cause any issues with what i want the tablet for?

No

Que - Looking for a stable tablet to do the above so i assume Corvus5 is my best Rom option?

Yes

:)

Guest richardmlea

I have been setting up a budget android for my neice for chistmas. There are some great educational apps you could install before giving them to you kids. Sneek in some cheeky learning without them realising whats going on.

I found some nice app ideas here.

http://www.parentmap.com/article/20-educational-android-apps-for-kids

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/10-best-free-android-apps-for-kids-956171

Guest PurpleRob

Haven't opened them yet as there for xmas so apart from the store Tablet not had any time on them

My advice would be to open them and flash the Roms and Apps that you want to avoid any disappointment on Xmas day as flashing roms can be a little tricky and time consuming the first time. That way it will be able to do everything on the day instead of having to wait.

Rob

Guest Stokesy-

My advice would be to open them and flash the Roms and Apps that you want to avoid any disappointment on Xmas day as flashing roms can be a little tricky and time consuming the first time. That way it will be able to do everything on the day instead of having to wait.

Rob

I wholeheartedly agree with the post above. You really need to put a new rom on there, as the basic one doesnt even have the market supported.

However i would consider vegacomb as it is not as unstable as you may think, and some of the posts on here would have you believe. Also it has lots of nice features, like greater cursor control when trying to edit text, and lots lots more.

Id agree with the others... Straight out of the box, the Vega is pretty useless...

As a minimum, go with the latest modaco ROM... Personally, I think VC is great and stable, but can see why people use corvus.....

Remember, you can always get back to a standard out of the box ROM very easily

Guest IanTurner

I read somewhere that the volume control on vegacomb allows you to overdrive the speakers and you shouldn't go above 75%. DOes that still apply or was someone joking ?

If it does blow speakers then stick to Corvus for kids.

Guest richardmlea

Hi

About speakers, yes if volume too high can blow speaker(s). I speak from experience, blew L/H speaker

while listening to game music.

Oldbarzo

Did this happen recently or a while ago. The problems with the speakers was fixed sometime ago. It took very careful measurements and skill by Eduardo to get it right but its ok now. One release in particular killed a few speakers straight away (and was immediately pulled), it could have caused damage that didn’t manifest until some time later.

It could also be that the speakers in the Vega a very poor so maybe you have a bad pair. You cant really blame Vegacomb for every faulty speaker. Some of them will just break anyway and some were never any good to start with

Edited by richardmlea

Guest Oldbarzo

Hi Richard

This happened about 1month ago. At the time I was running VC 3.2 Bldg 9n +update 3. It probably was as a result of installing VC. Beta 44 way back then. I have bought a pair of Toshiba laptop speakers to replace the. Vegas but have yet to drum up the courage to alter them and do the replace cement.

Oldbarzo

Sent from my ViewPad7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Oldbarzo

Guest Stokesy-

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Wifes not happy with me modding straight away but hey, when do we do what our wifes says. ;)

erm..... always!!!! :-) ps she is looking, act normal......

If you have never flashed a Vega before or had the pleasure of fiddling with the NVFlash button combo to get it JUST right then I strongly suggest flashing now to avoid having to take it off them for hours after they get given it. VegaComb or Corvus5 would be my choices (... duh :P) just play with both and see which one you prefer! Just don't bother with the stock browser on VegaComb, install Opera Mobile and use that instead :)

newbe5

Guest Dringeruk

Well i've taken everyones advice and opened one and had a play.

After reading loads of threads i thought i would be able to easily flash the vega........OH how wrong i was. 5 Hours later and eventually managed to get Corvious 5 after using Vegatools 4.1.

Still dont know how i did it. Tried to load the Honeycombe skin but seems to hang on the android/file image?

Cant boot into CWM recovery screen where you use the volume to go up and down the menu? Feel like a right numpty. :(

Just found this thread http://tabletroms.co...t-vegacomb.html post 3.

Unless theres an even more easier way.

Will try this again tomorrow. Sorry for the vague discription of the problems i'm haveing, Just come off a twelve hour nightshift and started on the vega when i got in at 8am.....once the kids had gone to school of course :rolleyes: Didn't have dinner and only stopped when the kids come home.

Will try again tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Sorry again.....always thought of myself as quite tecky......obviously not :D

Dringer.

Edited by Dringeruk

Guest Dringeruk

Ok here goes.

I have managed to update to vegacomb. All seemed to be working ok. Downloaded a couple of games to test.

The tried to go into market, asked for a sign in then took me straight back to main screen?

Decided to power down and restart but now it gets to the message screen about if you paid for this then it clears and loops back to the same screen?

HAve tried to power nto recovery but no menu. Have tried connecting with vegatools but says no device?

Now i'm really stuck. Was going to mod both the veags but at this rate i might forget it.

Really need some advice before i throw the thing out the window.

Cheers

Dringer

HAve tried to power nto recovery but no menu. Have tried connecting with vegatools but says no device?

Now i'm really stuck. Was going to mod both the veags but at this rate i might forget it.

Really need some advice before i throw the thing out the window.

Cheers

Dringer

the no menu in recovery is a known vegcomb bug

hold down power from there and reboot and clockwork will load

Edited by mxbob

Guest Dringeruk

Before i read your post i decided to try and install a standard rom. As i couldn't get any joy form my old pc connecting to the vega i decied to start afresh using my laptop.

Reflashed the standard rom as per instructions on myadventvega..co.uk

Installed the modded rom vegamoddstock_v1.10_v2

booted into recovery and installed vegacomb_hc3.2_build9n and and the update.

Bobs your uncle. VERY VERY HAPPY NOW.

Was on the verge of a complete breakdown :D.

Haven't tried booting into recovery yet as the daughters home soon so have had to hide it again.

Wont it boot into the clockworkmod menu now?

By the way This Rom is the dogs danglys :).

Edited by Dringeruk

yeah for some reason the reboot to recovery doesnt work in vegacomb

so instead use power button menu to reboot to recovery and when it has rebooted (and failed to reboot into clockwork mod) hold down the power button till it switches off and when you power on again clockwork mod will load