[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Thanks for your advice. Mine's been on it for 15 minutes now.... How long did you wait? The logo flashes off but then comes back on.

About 3 minutes, first time. Re-booting after that less than a minute. When I finished the last step I had no option to re-boot so I took the battery out and then replaced it and all OK apart from first slow boot. Possibly configuring the new sim? Did all your steps go OK?

Guest brewskeyboy

About 3 minutes, first time. Re-booting after that less than a minute. When I finished the last step I had no option to re-boot so I took the battery out and then replaced it and all OK apart from first slow boot. Possibly configuring the new sim? Did all your steps go OK?

Ah, crisis over! I was trying to replace a previous ROM with a new one. Just had to factory reset before flashing.

Thanks.

Guest heidspide

Oh dear - I have ended up in the Android system recovery 3e screen. I have 4 options:

reboot system now

apply sdcard:update.zip

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

Can anyone please help?

I completed Step One without issue and the phone booted in Clockwork Mod.

I mounted my phone and moved crescent.zip and the sanfrankernal.zip to the root of the SDcard. I went to carry out bullet point 3 (ie. Wipe Dalvik cache, Wipe data/factory reset and Reboot recovery) but couldn't find the wipe Dalvik cache option so for some mad reason selected Wipe cache partition instead. I subsequently found the Wipe Dalvik cache under "Advanced" and tried to carry on as normal, but when I went to select crescent.zip (which is now crescent-2.zip which I am hoping is the right one) it said bad file. It "crashed" and is now in the recovery screen.

I haven't put a sim in at all - would that make any difference?

Any help much appreciated; I will be gutted if I have ruined my Christmas pressie and hate being phoneless.

Thankyou!

Guest heidspide

Just to update - I started the steps again from running the unlock file and have booted into Clockword Mod mode again (I have breathed a big sigh of relief).

I think I found the problem - the crescent.zip file didn't download properly. I am now downloading the flb2-r2a.zip file instead from another post (the Unlocking San Fran 2 thread, page 7) to give this a go.

I'll keep you posted how I get on.

You need two zips. flb2-r2a is the ROM (with the extra brightness settings for the menu buttons) and then the zip for your device - Vivacity or San Francisco. Sounds like you're making up your own instructions! Very dangerous! Flash the first szip and then the 2nd (device specific zip) before re-booting. Good luck!

Edited by fr0do

Guest heidspide

Hooray I think I am there with a nice clean unbloated phone.

But my MAC address says "Unknown" - when I went to restore the qcn file it would not allow me to access the phone anymore. I made a note of the number; should I try to restore the qcn file again, or how can I manually input the MAC address?

Thanks!

Guest heidspide

Hooray I think I am there with a nice clean unbloated phone.

But my MAC address says "Unknown" - when I went to restore the qcn file it would not allow me to access the phone anymore. I made a note of the number; should I try to restore the qcn file again, or how can I manually input the MAC address?

Thanks!

Tried to restore the qcn file again: put phone into FSM mode, also rebooted PC and got it to enable port, but then when I clicked on restore file it went through motions then came up with error message below. I checked the MAC address in the qcn file and it was correct (using hex editor), but it still says MAC address unknown on my phone.

Should I put a sim in at this stage? Don't know if that would make any difference. Haven't got one on me at the moment. QPST doesn't seem to think my phone is a phone!

post-953858-0-90056400-1325159021_thumb.

Guest heidspide

Tried to restore the qcn file again: put phone into FSM mode, also rebooted PC and got it to enable port, but then when I clicked on restore file it went through motions then came up with error message below. I checked the MAC address in the qcn file and it was correct (using hex editor), but it still says MAC address unknown on my phone.

Should I put a sim in at this stage? Don't know if that would make any difference. Haven't got one on me at the moment. QPST doesn't seem to think my phone is a phone!

Now I feed a dunce - I have switched on the Wi-fi and it is now working!!!!

Thanks forum and Bouncer5 for your unlocking guides and all help - very much appreciated!

Guest Burdock

Hi. I've been nervously following the guides here in order to unlock my new Vivacity,,, but have come to a halt, with a few queries.

In following Arvind's walkthrough tutorial, I notice that the link in it to the 'Unlock_VIVACITY' zip file, actually takes me to one named Unlock_OSF2. However, if I follow Bouncer5's link to the unock vivacity file in his original guide, it takes me to a zip file named 'Unlock_VIVACITY',

I'm guessing that this may be an error in Arvind's guide... but it could easily be me misunderstaning the process, as I am pretty new to this?? Obviously I don't want to flash the wrong file and brick my phone!

In Arvind's guide, I got as far as downloading the 'Unlock_VIVACITY' zip file (I used Bouncer5's link)..... and I ran the download .exe file. Instead of seeing the page with a 'START' button and green 'READY' status unerneath.... I had a page with a 'START' button (but it was inactive and greyed out), with a blue 'OPEN' status underneath.

It was at this point I bottled it... :) ....... and stopped the process,,, as I'm clearly not quite on the right track!

I would appreciate any advice before I try again from any of the fine people on here. I have unlocked, rooted etc before on an OSF1 some time ago.... but this seems more difficult... or perhaps I'm just getting old....

Thanks.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Yes it's probably a wrong link, the label should correspond to the filename so Vivacity to Vivacity and Orange to Orange, When you're using the download program, restart your phone into FTM mode (Power+Vol Down) and then plug in the usb cable, not before.

Hopefully you will then see the ready sign.

The most important thing to remember is to backup your settings with the QPST software (i.e. into a QCN file) , I would also recommend noting down your wireless mac address on a notepad before you start in case things go really pear-shaped as it is possible to manually edit your mac address (although more complicated ;) )

Also, remember to first flash the custom rom for your phone and then without restarting flash the default kernel (tmo-stock.zip for the Vivacity) for your phone as well.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Thomas J Marshall

You need two zips. flb2-r2a is the ROM (with the extra brightness settings for the menu buttons) and then the zip for your device - Vivacity or San Francisco. Sounds like you're making up your own instructions!

Just unlocked my SF2 successfully, I used the crescent zip. Is the flb2-r2a an update? :rolleyes: Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest heidspide

Just unlocked my SF2 successfully, I used the crescent zip. Is the flb2-r2a an update? :rolleyes:

No, I think that crescent.zip is a modified version of flb2-r2a.

I'm interested in trying some different ROMs - how do I go about this - how do you get the phone to boot up into Clockwork Mod Recovery? If I power off and hold the volume key down, it boots up to the FSM screen. How do you get into ROM Manager?

Then I guess you do the steps as before ie. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Wipe Dalvik Cache and reboot recovery. Then install new ROM, kernal.zip then reboot.

flb-r2a is an update of flb-r2 LOL :) If you follow the threads you'll see where fibblesan modifies r2 at a request to increase sensitivity of the capacitive menu buttons.

If you look at the latest posts you'll see a method to install CWM permanently

<edit> Ooops you were right sorry - r2a is indeed the latest vanilla release - my bad :(

Edited by fr0do

hi,

firstly thanks for creating this rom and the guide on how to install it, much appreciated

i have been downloading apps to the phone and found that space was running low, so I am using app2sd to transfer the apps, but not all apps can be moved and I have moved the ones I can but it still says internal memory: 134MB used & 28MB free.

i followed the guide : using clockwork recovery to partition the SD to 512MB, but that doesnt seem to have made any difference,

what is the best way to maximise space for apps?

thanks

Edited by m27

Guest GeorgeZZzz

Thank s a lot for this great job!

After I installed the Crescent.zip AND kernel.zip, the USB debugging mode is not working?

Does anyone has the same problem?

what is the best way to maximise space for apps?

Use the TPTs to change your partition sizes:

Backup first > Use the 40mb cache version > unzip to sdcard/images > upgrade the phone going to "settings > about phone > system updates" and let that do it's job > then re-flash back your rom.

If you're using flibblesan's rom and a big sd card you can partition it and use that to store your data:

Guest texarkana

Another Newbie question I'm afraid :

Anyone know if the stock OSF2 kernel supports both (all?) hardware variants of the OSF2?

We have two OSF2's in the household, and they have different touchscreen controllers, and different LCDs.

I'm worried that if I flash the same kernel to both, then (at least!) one of them won't work.

E.g. because the I2C addresses for the touchscreen controllers are different.

I've heard overheating sometimes affects them. (solution: put the turned off phone into a clean, sealed plastig bag and into a fridge till the back is cold to touch - take out and power on). No idea if it's dying or dodgy sorry! Glad you got it going, and hope it keeps working!

Guest Thomas J Marshall

I've heard overheating sometimes affects them. (solution: put the turned off phone into a clean, sealed plastig bag and into a fridge till the back is cold to touch - take out and power on). No idea if it's dying or dodgy sorry! Glad you got it going, and hope it keeps working!

It's been OK for most of today so hopefully it was just a blip. One thing I have noticed is that the battery doesn't last that long. Is that an issue with the rom or the phone? (or the battery!!)

Also, is there a tutorial on flashing a different rom? I came across CyanogenMod and wondered if it is suitable. Of course, because I know so little about it, I may be using it already!! :D

Guest Roughlee_Handled

I have tried to search have found no answer.

I can not get my FFFFFING phone into FTM mode.

No amount of pressing the volume down key and the power key will work.

I think that I should install something so I can get to FTM mode but what I am not sure.

Please can you help me before I take a lump hammer to this phone.

thank you.

Good battery guide here: http://forum.xda-dev...58&postcount=10

Some methods require ClockworkMod access to wipe battery stats but this method just requires you to delete a file and pull the battery whilst booting. I tried the clockwork method myself... charge fully, then some more, then clear battery stats. I'm getting more out of it now. Definitely use Battery Monitor Widget to see what's going on.

---

To get into FTM mode 1st disconnect USB

Edited by fr0do