[ROM] TXG (CM6.1 mod), updated 2012 02 02

Guest twrock

Guest Nguyen Huy

I installed this ROM 30 mins before and got 2 errors:

1. No load image in market

2. Error install some apps from market, and many *.apk files (I think it's not caused by this ROM because I tried other stable ROM but no change :(( )

I installed this ROM 30 mins before and got 2 errors:

1. No load image in market

2. Error install some apps from market, and many *.apk files (I think it's not caused by this ROM because I tried other stable ROM but no change :(( )

See my signature for a link to information about rom installation problems. Market problems are common when there are errors in rom installation. (There are other possible reasons, but this is a common reason.)

Also I suggested above to another person's problem with the Market:

1. Update to the 2010 UK official update first.

2. Do a full factory wipe before installing this rom.

Guest Basher52

Thanks for your great work with the tmobile pulse, twrock!

This will be the final rom for both my sisters and fathers pulse, just impressive how long our old buggy pulse was supported by devs like you :)

Guest Dante2070

I noticed several "slow downs" the last few days. Sometimes, it takes quite a while when I access the call or sms app from the lockscreen. Also, after using manage applications, any app or function after that takes significantly longer. I am talking about seconds here, but these are very noticeable and not (less) present in the 2.1 rom.

Is moving the dalvik cache to the sd card benefiting only phone space, or do things run smoother? Should I upgrade to a Class 8 (or higher) card before doing this? I'm still using the card that came with the phone and I was told that it's a bad idea to move the dalvik cache to such a low class card. Is there any truth to that?

Iv noticed the slow down aswell backing out of apps like gmail/ market/ browser, ect, I just get a black screen for ages and often the launcher will fc with the option to wait, and I dont know whats going on with my wifi works then it dont work :huh:

Not complaining though just informing.

However at times it does seem responsive.

Edited by twics

Iv noticed the slow down aswell backing out of apps like gmail/ market/ browser, ect, I just get a black screen for ages and often the launcher will fc with the option to wait, and I dont know whats going on with my wifi works then it dont work :huh:

Not complaining though just informing.

However at times it does seem responsive.

Sorry to hear you (and Dante) are having problems. I didn't experience those, but I only used this rom for a short time. I maybe should run this rom again for a longer time to see I start to experience those problems.

But it would be helpful to know more details about your setup and settings. It's hard to try to be helpful when there is so little information. Particularly consider giving details about the following:

• SD card setup (what Class, partition details, etc.)
  • Any setting related to CPU and memory management, particularly anything you have set different than stock (CPU speed and governor settings, swappiness, lowmem settings, JIT, compcache, vm head, etc.)
  • Any settings related to Apps2SD (run "a2sd check" and tell us what is "on")
  • Any third-party apps you are running that might have anything to do with any of the above.
  • Were you running any CM6.1 based rom before, and did you have any of these problem?

Edited by twrock

Guest Dante2070

Sorry to hear you (and Dante) are having problems. I didn't experience those, but I only used this rom for a short time. I maybe should run this rom again for a longer time to see I start to experience those problems.

But it would be helpful to know more details about your setup and settings. It's hard to try to be helpful when there is so little information. Particularly consider giving details about the following:

• SD card setup (what Class, partition details, etc.)
  • Any setting related to CPU and memory management, particularly anything you have set different than stock (CPU speed and governor settings, swappiness, lowmem settings, JIT, compcache, vm head, etc.)
  • Any settings related to Apps2SD (run "a2sd check" and tell us what is "on")
  • Any third-party apps you are running that might have anything to do with any of the above.
  • Were you running any CM6.1 based rom before, and did you have any of these problem?

I am using the same partitioning setup you recommended for for this and the 2.1 Rom, with the sdcard that came with the phone. On the card itself, there is no indication what class it is, which probably means it's a class 2 or 4 (just guessing here).

I didn't change any settings after installing the rom. The only app that could be running in background is Opera Mini browser, but I don't believe it does. I did experience the same (similar) problems with Tom G's rom.

Guest Dante2070

Hey twrock, I saw this script and decided to give it a go and it did speeded my phone quite enough. http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=991276

It changes the memory management directly in the android. It tells u which one to apply based on the internal memory.

I don't really get how to use it. Can I just download the script on my phone and execute it with terminal emulator (with the intended results)?

,snip>

I did experience the same (similar) problems with Tom G's rom.

Well, I can breathe a bit easier, believing that it isn't necessarily something I introduced as a problem. :)

I don't really get how to use it. Can I just download the script on my phone and execute it with terminal emulator (with the intended results)?

Yes, that is approximately correct. The author says to put the script into /system/xbin. I renamed the script to "v6.sh" so it would be easy to start in Terminal.

Basically (after you put it into /system/xbin with something like Root Explorer), then open Terminal and type:

su

v6.sh

and follow the onscreen instructions. (Although I didn't see where it suggests the correct settings to apply (what D-D- shared.)

I've run it, but I'm not seeing the difference, most probably because I wasn't seeing the problem to begin with. ;) I am however always a bit suspicious about individuals who claim to have the "cure-all".

I'm most curious about the OOM settings, mostly because I have no idea what is going on. IANAP (I am not a programmer). I don't know what Tom set up things as in the first place, and if I did, I wouldn't know what to change them to. Maybe if I took a few hours to study the script and do some searching I would start to understand something. But if it works, hey, I'm all for it! :D

If I recall correctly, the changes from Tom's original settings that have been made to this rom's kernel/boot.img are overclock (by Starkos?), lowmem killer settings (by Antonio using Toti's suggested numbers), and swappiness (to 15 by me to keep from having horrible lag immediately after boot). Other tweaks are set in build.prop and are easily changed after boot.

I modified the boot.img a bit more by changing the lowmem settings to be closer to what the author of V6Supercharger suggested for "Multitasking". That isn't very different from the "Balance" settings he has, but it is quite a bit different from the default numbers and the numbers Toti came up with and even "lowmem-moderate" in DT Apps2SD. I'm going to run it for a while to see what it acts like.

If anyone wants to flash it, here it is: TXG614-customLM-bootimg.zip

It is the same 619mhz kernel as before, throttled down to 614. I doubt it will make a big difference, but you can play with it if you want.

Note: if you have previously set the LM settings in A2SD, you will need to revert to "a2sd lowmem-default" and reboot to see these new numbers take effect.

and follow the onscreen instructions. (Although I didn't see where it suggests the correct settings to apply (what D-D- shared.)

I've run it, but I'm not seeing the difference, most probably because I wasn't seeing the problem to begin with. ;) I am however always a bit suspicious about individuals who claim to have the "cure-all".

If u install Script manager and run the script with root, then it checks the busybox (1.82 recommended, use above on ur own risk) and checks system spec on mobile. Then it sees that u have 110 mb ram and it suggests to run #3 or something similar to it.

I'm testing some stuff with cm7 right now, so I can't tell u atm the right settings.

I modified the boot.img a bit more by changing the lowmem settings to be closer to what the author of V6Supercharger suggested for "Multitasking". That isn't very different from the "Balance" settings he has, but it is quite a bit different from the default numbers and the numbers Toti came up with and even "lowmem-moderate" in DT Apps2SD. I'm going to run it for a while to see what it acts like.

If anyone wants to flash it, here it is: TXG614-customLM-bootimg.zip

It is the same 619mhz kernel as before, throttled down to 614. I doubt it will make a big difference, but you can play with it if you want.

Note: if you have previously set the LM settings in A2SD, you will need to revert to "a2sd lowmem-default" and reboot to see these new numbers take effect.

will flash it tonite and test to see if there's any difference

If u install Script manager and run the script with root, then it checks the busybox (1.82 recommended, use above on ur own risk) and checks system spec on mobile. Then it sees that u have 110 mb ram and it suggests to run #3 or something similar to it.

I'm testing some stuff with cm7 right now, so I can't tell u atm the right settings.

Ah, ok, I ran it in Terminal so I didn't see that. I'll try to do it with Script Manager and see the output.

thanks.

Guest TaiwanCHT8k
Is moving the dalvik cache to the sd card benefiting only phone space, or do things run smoother? Should I upgrade to a Class 8 (or higher) card before doing this? I'm still using the card that came with the phone and I was told that it's a bad idea to move the dalvik cache to such a low class card. Is there any truth to that?

dalvik on C4 explosivecard actually improves the overall performance of my phone. app icons pop out A LOT faster. the marginal benefit of switching C4 to C6 is less noticeable, where FC happens a lil' less often in my experience.

(Note: for Froyo users, I have read elsewhere that in Froyo, Maps must be present for some other phone functions to work; I have not verified this is true, but be forewarned.

"GOLOOK" e-coupon app :(

Guest Dante2070

I want to try out moving the dalvik cache to my sd-ext partition (of which 420 mb lurks unused). Using app2dgui provided on the rom seems just right for it. There are two options there: Move and Move & Rebuild. Which one is better? Rebuild seems a more appealing option, but I am not sure.

I want to try out moving the dalvik cache to my sd-ext partition (of which 420 mb lurks unused). Using app2dgui provided on the rom seems just right for it. There are two options there: Move and Move & Rebuild. Which one is better? Rebuild seems a more appealing option, but I am not sure.

I've used the Move&Rebuild.

Guest Dante2070

Move & Rebuild it was. I didn't notice any speed difference so far, which is a good thing. It's not slowing down my phone (having a low class sd card). The big advantage is an additional internal phone space of 55MB! More room for apps I don't really need! :)

Move & Rebuild it was. I didn't notice any speed difference so far, which is a good thing. It's not slowing down my phone (having a low class sd card). The big advantage is an additional internal phone space of 55MB! More room for apps I don't really need! :)

More apps = slower phone. ;)

I'm starting to understand the OOM settings. Still not enough to think I can really modify those myself and not really screw something up, but at least starting to "get it". I've got some time off of work next week for Christmas. Maybe I'll start playing around with the boot.img some more and see what I can get going. A big hurdle for me at the moment is that our phone has such limited ram, so the information I'm finding might not apply to the U8220. (I'm running FTB at the moment, so I will start with that boot.img.)

So just wondering, did that script helped you too?

Cause as I can see from other youtube videos of the pulse running 2.2, mine is waay faster than theirs. :) (teasing)

So just wondering, did that script helped you too?

Cause as I can see from other youtube videos of the pulse running 2.2, mine is waay faster than theirs. :) (teasing)

Well, if you want "fast" more than anything else, I believe it can be done. (Not necessarily by me; I don't know enough.) But speed always has some "cost" as well.

For me, FTB (at 528mhz) is providing a nice balance between speed and battery life.