[ROM] TXG (CM6.1 mod), updated 2012 02 02

Guest twrock

Guest Dante2070

Thanks, I found it under CM settings / user interface / notification power widget / widget buttons. It's only six, so I decided get rid of the sound toggle, since I can access that from the lock screen anyway. You can also add phone and messaging to the lock screen, too (didn't know that).

Now, I really favor cyanogenmod, meaning the TXG mod, over FTB.

Guest thisweb

This rom works great for me without changing any settings. The only problem I have is that a lot of apps are missing from the Market app. eg Twitter, KIK etc. ? Anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by thisweb

@dante & twrock

This rom is way better from FTB, cause it's 2.2. That's the first and main reason. The api of the system is greater and u have way more apps for 2.2 android. For example (from the Google apps) u get updated youtube, gmail, chrometophone (daily use all of them) + u get to precache area on google maps for offline use. On the newest gmail app u get notification per label (wich I love the most).

And there are some other apps that are made 2.2 + .

@dante & twrock

This rom is way better from FTB, cause it's 2.2. That's the first and main reason. The api of the system is greater and u have way more apps for 2.2 android. For example (from the Google apps) u get updated youtube, gmail, chrometophone (daily use all of them) + u get to precache area on google maps for offline use. On the newest gmail app u get notification per label (wich I love the most).

And there are some other apps that are made 2.2 + .

Well, I'm glad people find either rom helpful.

One of the disadvantages to the newer apps for me is that they almost always are bigger. The increase functionality is a liability to me if I never use it, because it just slows down the phone. Case in point is the Market app, which I very much dislike in Froyo. It's bloated and slow. Way too much advertising as well. I just don't want all of that. So if I use FTB, I don't have to deal with all that extra overhead. I'm sure it won't be an issue in the future when I have a phone with Gigs of memory and a dual core 1ghz+ processor, but for now it is something I pay attention to.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that one rom is definitely better than the other. It's not that simple. I believe we all have different needs and preferences. If not, we'd all be using the iPhone! ;)

As always, YMMV.

Enjoy!

Guest pedrojaime

Thanks twrock!

I have stayed with FTB exactly for those same reasons, its leaner and faster. I think if you want laptop functionality buy a dual-core latest generation Android device. For me, there are a few basic functions I want the pulse to do and do them well without draining the battery and this is why I have only the following processes not frozen on the phone which makes it blindingly fast:

Account and Sync Settings

ADW Launcher

Alarm

Android System

BBC Transparent Clock (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Calculator

Calendar

Calendar Storage

Contacts Storage

Contacts

Dialer Storage

Google Apps

Media Storage

Messaging

Mytasks (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Phone Prioritizer (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Phone

Quick Battery (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Quick Settings (3rd party app - can also be removed)

SetCPU (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Settings Storage

Settings

Shapewriter Keyboard (3rd party app - can also be removed - if so, defrost Android keyboard or Touchpal first!)

Skype (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Sync Feeds

Vanilla Music (3rd party app - can also be removed)

As above, google Calendar sync works.

If you want to sync your gmail contacts too, additionally defrost:

Google Talk Storage

Synchronization

com.google.android.syncadaptors.contacts (I think this one is called 'Contacts Syncadaptos' when its not frozen btw)

The above 3 processes may well be needed as well as the following for Market to work (if you need that):

Google Talk Service

Package Installer

Apk Installer

Checkin Service

Download Manager

Market Updater

Market

*Out of these last 10 processes, defrost Market last and reboot to get it working again (by the same token, freeze Market first out of these 10 processes to avoid breaking it!).

I don't think there is another process I can freeze without affecting the basic functions of my phone!

Hope this helps,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest thisweb

On the market app included with this ROM I keep getting 'not compatible with this device' with nearly every app I try and install. The same occurs with the desktop/web version of market. Anyone else having this issue or know a fix. ? Any help would be most appreciated. I love this ROM its fast but this is killing it for me. If all the users on here have the same phone then wouldn't it be the same for everyone? Thanks

Guest pedrojaime

On the market app included with this ROM I keep getting 'not compatible with this device' with nearly every app I try and install. The same occurs with the desktop/web version of market. Anyone else having this issue or know a fix. ? Any help would be most appreciated. I love this ROM its fast but this is killing it for me. If all the users on here have the same phone then wouldn't it be the same for everyone? Thanks

I have not seen this problem. As a test, try installing 'sound boost'. Its a small app that installed no problem for me so it should work for you too unless there is something wrong with your Market.. Also, 'OS Monitor' worked for me. Hope it helps narrow down what is happening here.

No problem for me either (other than paid apps, which is a location issue for those of us in Taiwan; stupid Google! <_< )

Did you do a full wipe before installing the rom? Did you update to the official 2010 UK dload as your base for partitioning purposes?

Thanks twrock!

I have stayed with FTB exactly for those same reasons, its leaner and faster. I think if you want laptop functionality buy a dual-core latest generation Android device. For me, there are a few basic functions I want the pulse to do and do them well without draining the battery and this is why I have only the following processes not frozen on the phone which makes it blindingly fast:

Account and Sync Settings

ADW Launcher

Alarm

Android System

BBC Transparent Clock (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Calculator

Calendar

Calendar Storage

Contacts Storage

Contacts

Dialer Storage

Google Apps

Media Storage

Messaging

Mytasks (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Phone Prioritizer (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Phone

Quick Battery (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Quick Settings (3rd party app - can also be removed)

SetCPU (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Settings Storage

Settings

Shapewriter Keyboard (3rd party app - can also be removed - if so, defrost Android keyboard or Touchpal first!)

Skype (3rd party app - can also be removed)

Sync Feeds

Vanilla Music (3rd party app - can also be removed)

As above, google Calendar sync works.

If you want to sync your gmail contacts too, additionally defrost:

Google Talk Storage

Synchronization

com.google.android.syncadaptors.contacts (I think this one is called 'Contacts Syncadaptos' when its not frozen btw)

The above 3 processes may well be needed as well as the following for Market to work (if you need that):

Google Talk Service

Package Installer

Apk Installer

Checkin Service

Download Manager

Market Updater

Market

*Out of these last 10 processes, defrost Market last and reboot to get it working again (by the same token, freeze Market first out of these 10 processes to avoid breaking it!).

I don't think there is another process I can freeze without affecting the basic functions of my phone!

Hope this helps,

Peter

Can Email be frozen?

(You've got a number of apps listed that are not installed in the FTB rom.)

Guest pedrojaime

Can Email be frozen?

(You've got a number of apps listed that are not installed in the FTB rom.)

I should have mentioned, those extra 3rd party apps I downloaded from Market. Yes, Email can indeed be frozen. In fact since I spend my time at work logged into gmail, I usually keep Email and Keepassdroid frozen. As and when I need then I can defrost and use without rebooting (there are a few apps which are nice that way). I don't bother with the gmail app so just deleted that + gmail storage since the Email app handles attachments much better.

At one point I was thinking that it would be great to develop a minimalistic ROM for our phone to speed it up but as I learn more about Android and I discovered freezing, it doesn't seem necessary anymore. You have already removed much of the bloat so I don't think I'll be trying a different rom for a long time!

Hope this helps the development effort :)

I should have mentioned, those extra 3rd party apps I downloaded from Market. Yes, Email can indeed be frozen. In fact since I spend my time at work logged into gmail, I usually keep Email and Keepassdroid frozen. As and when I need then I can defrost and use without rebooting (there are a few apps which are nice that way). I don't bother with the gmail app so just deleted that + gmail storage since the Email app handles attachments much better.

At one point I was thinking that it would be great to develop a minimalistic ROM for our phone to speed it up but as I learn more about Android and I discovered freezing, it doesn't seem necessary anymore. You have already removed much of the bloat so I don't think I'll be trying a different rom for a long time!

Hope this helps the development effort :)

:lol: One man's "bloat" is another man's "necessary feature". For example, I have never used the Email app. So for me, even that is bloat. But I really don't think I dare take it out of a rom that I am modifying for other people to use.

Yes, there are apps I include in every rom I upload for others to use that I remove from my own "personal" rom. But I think FTB is the most minimal rom I've done. Because I had to remove so much of the media bloat when I started to mod RBM2 (imagine HUGE mp3 files for ringtones and notfications based on engine and gear shifting sounds), I really took the knife to it.

But if it was just for me, I'd take out YouTube, Email, Talk, Voice, VoiceSearch, AlarmClock, Android keyboard. Those are all apps I've never used (a few because I immediately found far better third-party apps than the originals on our phones). And I don't bother with Maps at all until I absolutely need it, then I just reinstall from a backup. That app causes more fc's than all others combined, even if it isn't actively running! I hate that it is always trying to force itself back into ram. (Note: for Froyo users, I have read elsewhere that in Froyo, Maps must be present for some other phone functions to work; I have not verified this is true, but be forewarned.)

Riight, so if u don't need or use those functions, why the android phone? Get urself some old Nokia and live in peace. :/

Freezing the market app? U don't use it at all? Or even contacts and gmail app.

I understand that it's a per user thing, but I don't see the point of owning an android device if it doesn't do "android things".

Riight, so if u don't need or use those functions, why the android phone? Get urself some old Nokia and live in peace. :/

I understand that it's a per user thing, but I don't see the point of owning an android device if it doesn't do "android things".

I'd have to agree with you on that, i didn't even know about freezing apps first iv heard of it.

Everybody has their own tastes in apps and functions. What even are the "Android things"? Why is it one thing but not another? With Android, it's wide open.

I came to Android from the Palm system, so I wanted a PDA that made phone calls. I have little interest in it as a media machine or game machine or web browser (but I do sometimes use the music player and go find something specific on the web). That's the Android phone I want, and it's cool that Android lets me pretty much do whatever I want.

I can see someone choosing to freeze everything they don't use. It makes sense to me to keep the thing lean and quick. And once you've got it set up to the way you like it, who needs the Market any more? If having extra apps didn't negatively affect the performance, I'd just load it up with everything I can imagine I'd ever possibly use. But unfortunately there is a hit on performance. Freezing is one solution. Backing it up before uninstalling so it is ready to re-install is another. (I use AppMonster to back everything I install up, and then if I really do need it, I can re-install it regardless of whether or not I'm connected.)

As always, YMMV. :)

Well that's the thing. I don't use it for gaming either, I use it for my uni mainly, presentations, business, emails...

And android stuff is actually syncinc in background.

But nvm, as u said YMMV.

Guest pedrojaime

As much as we try to expand the possibilities with the OS and 3rd party apps (some of which are truly amazing), the problem I see is that being a 1st generation android device the hardware is the limiting factor, Pulse/Huawei/U8220 only comes with 100Mb RAM and a slow processor (by today's standards) so I have settled on a few functions I want from my phone to do and do them well:

1. phone - must be quick to access dialer, contacts, receive calls/make calls, and of course get as good a signal as possible.

I don't change the contacts on my phone that often so toying with the idea of only syncing my contacts once every three weeks. If I were a sales person I would need to add in phone contacts daily or even hourly..

2. Skype - best way to keep in touch with family abroad

3. to do list + Alarms + gmail Contacts + Google Calendar to make sure I don't drop anything important.

4. calculator, esp. for managing bills and costs

5. SMS - because everyone in Ecuador is still hung up on Blackberries and Whats App uses up all the RAM!

6. Most importantly: Music!

+ ocassionally email

I guess part of the reason I have taken this approach is because in Ecuador we are not quite (yet) a completely online society like the UK, US where stores accept google wallet/Paypal payments, etc readily. Bills are still mostly paid the old fashion way by going to the phone company/bank and if you don't harrass people on the phone you don't get results - very different from just sending a quick email and working/buying groceries from home as is common in the UK. Besides, surfing the web on public transport/in the street will mean your phone get stolen quickly here..

What I have concluded is that once I have the apps and phone setup as I want it, I don't need Market running in the background slowing the thing down and running down the battery unnecessarily. I have tried many games, GPS, transferred files via bluetooth and voice recorders but in the end i have settled for having a reliable, fast phone more than a tablet. Nevertheless, I still get the itch from time to time to get back on Market and hunt around for new apps (or leaner alternatives to existing ones). As an example, I was amazed with the functionality you get out of Mixzing media player but the music kept stuttering, people would complain that it took a long time for me to pick up incoming phone calls and this was fixed by installing Vanilla player instead. Just some observations of mine, everyone uses their phone differently and I respect that. The underlying core of the software IMHO should perform and be stable withous FCs..

Peter

P.S. going to re-enable Market to install 'SMS filter' today. I hate my network provider's SMS spam and what I love about Android is that there is no such thing as 'not possible'. If you don't like something you can always change it!

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest jaydeeuk1

Just 'upgraded' to this rom, was on some other custom rom before which was just far too slow, and decided to do a refresh..

First, I setup my SD card (4gb, class 4 I think), 3.2 gb fat32 partition, 256mb ext2 and 32 swap.

Everything installed fine, seemed much quicker from the off. Had the sync on and it started downloading apps, like google sky, bbc, nothing huge, largest probably 5mb and all that I previously had on my phone.

After 2 apps, I get the insufficient space warning. Restarted and still the same. Reformatted phone again, and setup my sd card with 512mb ext2 partition, again made no difference.

Loaded a2sdgui and it reckoned I had a ton of free space on internal memory and sd-ext (86mb and 503mb respectively)

Cache had 1mb free from 20

Ram wise, 3mb free from 107. Swap 29mb free.

I've had a read around, did some su a2sd cached (something like that) restarted but made no difference.

Will be something obvious no doubt, any ideas?

Edited by jaydeeuk1

Ok, I solved it!

Apparently quite a common issue, installed something called marketfix

http://www.appbrain....c.erismarketfix

Now works perfectly, phone flying along nicely.

Bit sad I'm trading for an Xperia play for xmas now!

Interesting. I'd have thought "a2sd cachesd" would have done the trick.

I'll definitely need to have a look at your link. Thanks for the info.

Edit: After looking into it, I don't have any idea why that solved your problem, but I'm happy it did. The basic function of the MarketFix app is to replace the "fingerprint" in your rom with one from the Sholes phone. Since this TXG rom has already replaced that line in build.prop with one from the Nexus phone [edit: what Tom G did originally], I would have thought that particular problem was already solved. But nonetheless, it looks like you've got it working, which is always the goal in the end. :)

Edited by twrock

Guest thisweb

No problem for me either (other than paid apps, which is a location issue for those of us in Taiwan; stupid Google! <_< )

Did you do a full wipe before installing the rom? Did you update to the official 2010 UK dload as your base for partitioning purposes?

Thanks all for help, Twrock, I have official UK update , and did full wipe data/system (except SD storage) . I am thinking it might be a location issue. I am in UK not Taiwan. I remember reading something about Fingerprint files a while ago, anyone know what they are and if I can change them? It worked fine on the old market app on CM6.1 Is anyone from UK able to verify if this problem occurs? Really dont want to have to change rom again, this is by far the cleanest/ fastest ROM ive used. :(

Guest thisweb

Ok, I solved it!

Apparently quite a common issue, installed something called marketfix

http://www.appbrain....c.erismarketfix

Now works perfectly, phone flying along nicely.

Bit sad I'm trading for an Xperia play for xmas now!

OK I just get this!!!! I assume you must have been replying to my earlier post about market not working , I think that's why TWRock got confused. I just tried this and that fixed it perfectly!!! Something not right with fingerprint. Also I am guessing from your name you are from UK which might be why TWrock not seen it? Thanks both of you anyway. This has made my day! :))

Thanks all for help, Twrock, I have official UK update , and did full wipe data/system (except SD storage) . I am thinking it might be a location issue. I am in UK not Taiwan. I remember reading something about Fingerprint files a while ago, anyone know what they are and if I can change them? It worked fine on the old market app on CM6.1 Is anyone from UK able to verify if this problem occurs? Really dont want to have to change rom again, this is by far the cleanest/ fastest ROM ive used. :(

For future reference, the "fingerprint" is a line in a file called build.prop. That file contains a lot of settings for our phone. If you open /system/build.prop with a text editor, you will easily find that line.

OK I just get this!!!! I assume you must have been replying to my earlier post about market not working , I think that's why TWRock got confused. I just tried this and that fixed it perfectly!!! Something not right with fingerprint. Also I am guessing from your name you are from UK which might be why TWrock not seen it? Thanks both of you anyway. This has made my day! :))

I still don't know why you are seeing this. I have not changed the fingerprint from the "Basic CM6.1" rom, so if it was a problem, I'd think it would have shown up a long time ago. But I'm happy it's working for you.