A few questions re: restoring to factory for repairs, then flashing back.

Guest JadeMonkee

Guest JadeMonkee

Hullo all,

I'm currently running the excellent GR5 Modaco ROM (and am eagerly awaiting a final updated version ;) ).

However, the 'home' button on my handset isn't working well, so I'm sending the handset off for repair (the first time I've ever had to with any handset, so I'm hoping it's not a sign of Samsung's quality...).

As such, I'm hoping to restore the handset to factory settings -- both to remove all personal information, and to remove any evidence that it had been rooted and ROMed.

I own one of the USB jig/dongle thingos that resets the flash count, but I'm having trouble finding information on how to restore the factory ROM, and, indeed, which ROM to restore.

I bought the handset from www.mobicity.com.au and I *think* it's from Hong Kong, but I can't really be sure (there were a lot of Asian languages available when I first got it). I'd like for it to have the original firmware on it, so as not to arouse suspicion.

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a good 'restore to original ROM' guide?

Also, am I correct in thinking that, once I get the handset back, that I can just root it again, then restore the CWM backup I made before factory resetting it?

And another important question:

What if I get a new handset (rather than a repair job), will the CWM backup still work?

Many, many thanks!

Guest Androidlover287

i can only answer your last quest.ion,

I think i am right in saying the aslong as the MD5 sum of the backup stays the same (e.g no file name change, i had a problem with that) moving the backup folder e.g 2011-12-07.20.45.00) should not cause a corruption to the folder

WARNING, ALWAYS safe remove your usb stick/phone after it's done to be on the safe side.

You should be fine though aslong as you don't rename the folder once you have moved it.

Hope this helps!

If this doesn't work i am sorry, but i am 99.5% positive you can do this.

P.S I will not be held reasonable if the file does get damaged.

Guest JadeMonkee

i can only answer your last quest.ion,

I think i am right in saying the aslong as the MD5 sum of the backup stays the same (e.g no file name change, i had a problem with that) moving the backup folder e.g 2011-12-07.20.45.00) should not cause a corruption to the folder

WARNING, ALWAYS safe remove your usb stick/phone after it's done to be on the safe side.

You should be fine though aslong as you don't rename the folder once you have moved it.

Hope this helps!

If this doesn't work i am sorry, but i am 99.5% positive you can do this.

P.S I will not be held reasonable if the file does get damaged.

Thanks for your help; I appreciate it.

I'll post back here with how it all goes, but I won't blame anyone but myself if it goes banana shaped (worse than pear).

Guest JadeMonkee

Did it work?

i ask because you haven't replied in a few days 4 days

It's been too hard to give up my phone (as in, send it off for repair) as the only spare phone I have is an old featurephone, and I've been quite reluctant to make the switch. I could always ask my g/f to give me back my old Hero, but that probably wouldn't fly too well.

But, last night I backed up through Titanium Backup and through Clockwork mod (no harm in being thorough) and re-flashed back to the stock XXKG6 using this guide: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1075278

But then, on my way to work this morning, I remembered a few things:

I have no way of transferring all my contacts to the featurephone

I have no way of recording the phone interview I am conducting tomorrow (I'm a journalist)

I have no way of accessing the interview I did a few weeks ago and need for writing up my next story (it's locked up in the CWM backup)

So, I think I'm going to re-root and restore the phone tonight, and keep it until work closes for the year.

Which is a pain, because the repair place closes between the 22nd Dec and the 3rd Jan, and I leave for a holiday on the 29th, so I'll have to get my room mates to send the phone for me while I'm away, maybe.

Anyway, the hard reset worked fine, and I imagine (but will report back anyway) that restoring the backup will work fine, too.

So, today I'm walking around with a stock, and largely app-less, gsii. It feels.... weird.

Guest JadeMonkee

So, the restore worked fine.

And it's a good thing I didn't send off the phone for repair, as when I went to copy the backup to the USB storage, I noticed that all my data was still there (including the backup).

I didn't realise that the 'restore factory settings' doesn't actually format the USB storage, so I'm glad I found that out before I shipped it off.

So, all good in the end. Thank you Androidlover287 for your info.

• 1 month later...
Guest JadeMonkee

Ok.

So, I received my phone back from the repair shop today, and have restored my CWMod backup.

Turns out that the CWMod backup doesn't backup the USB storage, and, as I was pressed for time when I was sending the phone off for repair, I didn't copy the entire contents of the USB storage to my PC for backup -- just the CWM Backup and Titanium Backup folder.

Luckily, I use Dropsync to send my photos to Dropbox every night, so I've still got my photos, but everything else is gone.

So, people, when you run a CWM backup before reformatting the phone, make sure you copy the USB storage across, too.