[ROM / 2.3.1] Stripped AndyPad Pro ROM 4 (January 18)

Guest Csharpe

Guest Csharpe

Hey,

I stripped down one of the latest AndyPad Pro roms, and it works 10 times better than the one mine got shipped with (first release).

What this rooted rom contains:

V1:

• Market (3.x)
  • Latest SuperUser/su binaries - rooted
  • Removed all useless libraries, fonts, libs, apps (only swiftkey is left)
  • Stripped down < 100mb

V2:
    • Uses newest Music.apk (supports Google Music) - has little font bug due to framework-res.apk
    • Removed more libraries and ringtones (image's now 95mb)
    • Market release from December 12

V3b:
      • Based on 2.06 bootloader (flashtool will still report 1.65)
      • Added hardware encoding for almost every format (no more software-decode on AVI, H264...) including streaming.
      • Removed omx and opencore libraries
      • Repartitioned mtd tables (now there's 440mb app-space!)
      • Removed SwiftKey (incompatible with newer GL and libraries - sorry)
      • Added patched ChainFire drivers (as an attempt to get Flash to work - still broken, but more games work now)
      • Removed proprietary software (for extended video playback, install mx video player from market, codecs' already included)
      • Smaller tweaks to boot procedure
      • Reduced filesize drastically (to 88mb)

V4

• Converted images to ext3 & fixed the rootfs ro flags in init.rc (fully rewritable system now)
          The images became a bit bigger since they're uncompressed, but will be resized in next version.

Download:

Stripped ROM revision 4 (ext3)

Older releases:

Stripped ROM revision 3

Temporary Flash 10.3 fix: download latest apk from your AndyPad browser and install, or install trough adb.

Stripped ROM revision 2

How to install: (Windows only for now, sorry)

[*]Make sure the device is powered-off

[*]Keep volume-up pressed an plug the device into your PC's USB (make sure the volume-up is on hold)

[*]When the device is not recognized: install the drivers included in the package folder, for the correct architecture (x86 or x64)

[*]Open RKAndroidTool.exe (as Administrator)

[*]Make sure everything is checked except backup.

[*]When coming from an older v3 release (or stock), press Erase IDB and wait upon completion.

[*]Press Run

[*]Wait until the tablet restarts and says 'Charging', plug out USB and power it on.

(if tablet doesn't respond anymore, you can try 'adb reboot' from commandprompt, with Android SDK installed)

[*]Wait until first boot and restart it to make sure everything's installed.

Still on my 'todo'-list:

[*]Add native flash libraries

[*]Update EGL drivers

[*]Get rid of the ugly AndyPad framework resources

Please report to me if you know how to fix one of these.

Thanks to:

- Lars (for testing newer .so libraries on his Teclast and just because he's a great guy)

- Oxygen-rom team

- The Odys-tablet guys

- Everyone who donated, thanks!

I hope you enjoy this ROM, leave any bugs/suggestions below! I'm sorry for update delays, but I've been really busy with work. smile.gif

post-925744-0-81330200-1324932224_thumb. post-925744-0-54331900-1324932219_thumb.

post-925744-0-39395400-1324932229_thumb. post-925744-0-58969300-1324932233_thumb.

Edited by Csharpe

Guest kokotron

Good work :)

I was wondering... Would it be illegal to include an updated version of a bundled piece of (paid) software which has not been updated by Andypad itself? Here's why I ask:

There's a problem with the current Swiftkey version. You can't switch language layout (I write in Greek so that's a shame). This is fixed in later versions, so I asked Andypad by email and they replied that they would release a new Andy App from where you can download the latest Swiftkey Tablet version for free (obviously, since it's among the bundled software). This never happened, so today after installing this rom I also installed an illegal copy of a November version (2.2.xxx) of Swiftkey Tablet. Unfortunately it doesn't update the installed swiftkey but installs side by side. But at least it works now.

Edited by kokotron

Guest Csharpe

Good work :)

I was wondering... Would it be illegal to include an updated version of a bundled piece of (paid) software which has not been updated by Andypad itself? Here's why I ask:

There's a problem with the current Swiftkey version. You can't switch language layout (I write in Greek so that's a shame). This is fixed in later versions, so I asked Andypad by email and they replied that they would release a new Andy App from where you can download the latest Swiftkey Tablet version for free (obviously, since it's among the bundled software). This never happened, so today after installing this rom I also installed an illegal copy of a November version (2.2.xxx) of Swiftkey Tablet. Unfortunately it doesn't update the installed swiftkey but installs side by side. But at least it works now.

Since I don't want any legal trouble, I only added the one provided on the original AndyPad ROM. If you know where to get the latest swiftkey.apk from Verticool, I'll be willing to add it, but this isn't really my decision to make.

Using V3b

Fast and responsive tablet, many thanks for this :)

Only thing that I've noticed that is not working is the camera. Force closes when starting the app.

Guest Csharpe

Using V3b

Fast and responsive tablet, many thanks for this :)

Only thing that I've noticed that is not working is the camera. Force closes when starting the app.

I'll look into that, it worked before so I must've broken some library. Didn't even notice since I don't use that crappy camera anyway :P

Edit: camera works fine? I've tested this myself. Could you provide me a logcat?

I'm running a 'little' newer rom than 3b, but haven't changed any libs so ...

Edited by Csharpe

Guest Jalfraag

Using v3b and it works great.

One small thing, hdmi out now seems to output 1080p only. Stock rom would output 720. My acer pico looks all pixelated when fed with 1080.

It's still good :)

A few suggestions and things:

In /etc there are a few things you could remove to shave a bit more space off, including some .bmp files and some ethernet config directory. Also there are some unused firmware files for wifi.

If you switch over to ext3, you could mount it read only with no issues caused by writes. Not sure that this gives much benefit apart from allowing people to slipstream some extra .apk's, etc. Really it just makes my life easier as i'm using your stripped roms for the base of my cm7, and it's easier to overwrite things directly :)

Are you planning on replacing the filemanager with something better? I also noticed a few random rockchip.apk files in there but even after poking around them with a hex editor I am none the wiser as to what they do.

I also tried patching SystemUI and framework-res.apk to make things look nicer. Seemed to work quite well, and adding in the newer xml files fixes the font issue with the newer music player.

Keep up the awesome work!

Guest Csharpe

It's still good :)

A few suggestions and things:

In /etc there are a few things you could remove to shave a bit more space off, including some .bmp files and some ethernet config directory. Also there are some unused firmware files for wifi.

If you switch over to ext3, you could mount it read only with no issues caused by writes. Not sure that this gives much benefit apart from allowing people to slipstream some extra .apk's, etc. Really it just makes my life easier as i'm using your stripped roms for the base of my cm7, and it's easier to overwrite things directly :)

Are you planning on replacing the filemanager with something better? I also noticed a few random rockchip.apk files in there but even after poking around them with a hex editor I am none the wiser as to what they do.

I also tried patching SystemUI and framework-res.apk to make things look nicer. Seemed to work quite well, and adding in the newer xml files fixes the font issue with the newer music player.

Keep up the awesome work!

I haven't had time yet to work on framework-res & SystemUI, but if you got a newer version (AOSP alike) would you mind sharing it with us? Maybe the launcher needs some un-froyo'ing too, since they just threw in their crap from 2.2 builds...I haven't really tried removing the rockchip apk's, but do you think it'll run without? Thanks for the tips :) as for system mtd, I still have to try yaffs (kernel supports is there)...

EDIT: I did some 'decompiling' on the apk's,

RkApkinstaller_0710.apk: can be deleted, it's useless crap on top of the aosp apk installer.

Rockchipservice.apk: this has a listener & a receiver, the receiver does some logging stuff about HDMI and waits until boot is completed to start using a broadcastreceiver. It is also used for ROM updates? Not sure...

WiskyApkInstall.apk: Another poorly apk installer hacked together, but seems to have a lot of bloat to Speech calls even, and event when device's booted, will & can be removed.

Using v3b and it works great.

One small thing, hdmi out now seems to output 1080p only. Stock rom would output 720. My acer pico looks all pixelated when fed with 1080.

I have no idea :) sorry, but maybe I'll look into it later. I would even think this isn't a bug, but a feature.

Edited by Csharpe

Got the camera working. :)

Installed V2 with restore option, then after checking the camera - making sure it was working, installed V3b with upgrade option.

Edited by zurien

What a wonderful Xmas pressie. Thanks, it works a treet and it's great to have a working Marketplace back again.

Question: Have you managed to APK the Andypad app?

Thanks Csharp, you gave me the like to the app on the AndyPad forum pages.

Edited by Tichy

Hi, i went to plug my pad into my TV yesterday, only to find the HDMI option in settings was not there.

Any ideas?

followed the instructions to restore from stock AndyPad Pro ROM to v3b

Cheers.

Tichy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eladobr

In the instructions how to install this rom you wrote "- Open the flashtool". What kind of flash tool I should use?

Big thanks for making Andypad more usable.

Cheers

Edited by eladobr

In the instructions how to install this rom you wrote "- Open the flashtool". What kind of flash tool I should use?

Big thanks for making Andypad more usable.

Cheers

Hi, when you unpack the ZIP file, there is a Tool folder. Inside the folder is the RK_Device_Tool.exe. This is the Flashtool that Csharp is refering to.

Regards,

Tichy.

Guest eladobr

Hi, when you unpack the ZIP file, there is a Tool folder. Inside the folder is the RK_Device_Tool.exe. This is the Flashtool that Csharp is refering to.

Regards,

Tichy.

Thank you for explanation.

Edited by eladobr

Csharpe............ Thank you for the V4, I have just applied it!

yes system is r/w now, however when I plug my USB to the pad it keeps sayin Not Charging on the top, is this expected behaviour?

(it used to show the chargin percentage b4, but not any more)

am I doing something wrong here?

Once again thanks for the good work.

KR

Ben

Edited by Ben-IT

Guest Csharpe

Csharpe............ Thank you for the V4, I have just applied it!

yes system is r/w now, however when I plug my USB to the pad it keeps sayin Not Charging on the top, is this expected behaviour?

(it used to show the chargin percentage b4, but not any more)

am I doing something wrong here?

Once again thanks for the good work.

KR

Ben

This is common to the RK29 devices. When plugged in USB 2.0, the device only gets 500mA, as where the tablet itself is using more with screen enabled. It will still charge but slower than it charges when device is powered off. Personally, I use a 2.1A charger (it can take that much) and haven't had a single problem. This is not an issue on this ROM, but in entire architecture of bootloader & device itself.

This is common to the RK29 devices. When plugged in USB 2.0, the device only gets 500mA, as where the tablet itself is using more with screen enabled. It will still charge but slower than it charges when device is powered off. Personally, I use a 2.1A charger (it can take that much) and haven't had a single problem. This is not an issue on this ROM, but in entire architecture of bootloader & device itself.

Thank you for your response ... its reaaly helpful.

I have also just relaised that adhoc is not working for me... I have tried different wpa_supplicant but wouldnt work...

kindly could you please provid me with the right one.

Many thanks

Ben

EDIT: Never tried it before.. only got AndyPad recently so not sure about previous ROMs

Edited by Ben-IT

Guest Csharpe

Thank you for your response ... its reaaly helpful.

I have also just relaised that adhoc is not working for me... I have tried different wpa_supplicant but wouldnt work...

kindly could you please provid me with the right one.

Many thanks

Ben

I think that's a kernel issue (methinks), I haven't been able to compile it myself yet though, but could change soon thanks to the Odys-dev guys.

The drivers for WLAN haven't changed since the stock beta releases from August, are you sure it worked before?

EDIT: it's because of wpa_supplicant in /system/bin, I'm looking into it :) requires some reverse engineering though.

Edited by Csharpe

I think that's a kernel issue (methinks), I haven't been able to compile it myself yet though, but could change soon thanks to the Odys-dev guys.

The drivers for WLAN haven't changed since the stock beta releases from August, are you sure it worked before?

Updated my post, above.

This Will be very usefull feature to have....

Ben

Guest phones4pete

It seems that by moving to ext3 the permissions all got wrong and Superuser can't get root anymore, not sure why though.

I got super user working by using this it basically re roots again buy adding su and superuser but the permissions are set correctly make sure you have USB debugging on

http://mediafire.com/?8nvdyuu9a3i05x1

Thanks to csharpe for original link

Edited by phones4pete

Guest djeffree

Hmmm, I tried to update but the EraseIDB failed (Lower format failed) with the log entry below

18:17:31 697 Load Setting ok

18:17:31 741 RKAndroidTool v1.2.9.0 Start Run

18:17:36 086 INFO:Start to erase IDB

18:17:36 087 INFO:Start to lower format

18:17:36 090 ERROR:LowerFormatDevice-->RKU_TestUnitReady failed,subCode(0xfd),Errcode(-1)

18:17:37 090 ERROR:LowerFormatDevice-->RKU_TestUnitReady failed,subCode(0xfd),Errcode(-1)

18:17:38 090 ERROR:LowerFormatDevice-->RKU_TestUnitReady failed,subCode(0xfd),Errcode(-1)

18:17:39 090 ERROR:Lower format failed

18:17:39 091 ERROR:EraseIDB-->GetFlashInfo failed

18:17:39 092 ERROR:Erasing IDB failed

18:17:41 564 Image Thread Path(\\?\USB#VID_2207&PID_290A#5&273C525C&0&1#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed})

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Dave

Guest Csharpe

Hmmm, I tried to update but the EraseIDB failed (Lower format failed) with the log entry below

18:17:31 697 Load Setting ok

18:17:31 741 RKAndroidTool v1.2.9.0 Start Run

18:17:36 086 INFO:Start to erase IDB

18:17:36 087 INFO:Start to lower format

18:17:36 090 ERROR:LowerFormatDevice-->RKU_TestUnitReady failed,subCode(0xfd),Errcode(-1)

18:17:37 090 ERROR:LowerFormatDevice-->RKU_TestUnitReady failed,subCode(0xfd),Errcode(-1)

18:17:38 090 ERROR:LowerFormatDevice-->RKU_TestUnitReady failed,subCode(0xfd),Errcode(-1)

18:17:39 090 ERROR:Lower format failed

18:17:39 091 ERROR:EraseIDB-->GetFlashInfo failed

18:17:39 092 ERROR:Erasing IDB failed

18:17:41 564 Image Thread Path(\\?\USB#VID_2207&PID_290A#5&273C525C&0&1#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed})

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Dave

Try flashing a stock ROM with it first, then flash the stripped one over it :) I've had this a few times too. Their loader's extremely bad-crafted.