How do I install a custom ROM?

Guest waqasahmed

Guest waqasahmed

Hi,

I've searched google for hours and I've managed to get root working at the very least - Yay! but when I look at installing custom ROM's, I get conflicting information with regards to the build number etc..

When I had my ZTE Blade, there was a guide that I followed where it showed me how I could root and put custom ROM's on to my phone

I've heard that you need fastboot and your bootloader to be unlocked? What do these actually mean? I bought mine unlocked and it's got the latest update on it from Sony (2.3.4) The carrier is unlocked if that makes any difference

I haven't really seen a set guide on how to put a custom ROM on this phone, if any one can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Guest Christian Edwards

I'm having the same trouble,

I think it goes like this once the boot loader is unlocked you can then use fast boot to send custom ROMs down to the Play via USB, each custom ROM needs a separate and compatible custom kernel to go with it or the ROM won't work.

There doesn't seem to be the Clockwork Mod Recovery option we had on the Blade (and Skate), which may be because the recovery partition is still locked but I'm out of knowledge now.

There is alot more going on on the XDA forums but they are harder to follow.

I actually find the stock ROM pretty good now it's rooted and with an official release of ICS (android 4.0) from Sony due in May, I considering leaving it alone till then at least.

Guest waqasahmed

I'm having the same trouble,

I think it goes like this once the boot loader is unlocked you can then use fast boot to send custom ROMs down to the Play via USB, each custom ROM needs a separate and compatible custom kernel to go with it or the ROM won't work.

There doesn't seem to be the Clockwork Mod Recovery option we had on the Blade (and Skate), which may be because the recovery partition is still locked but I'm out of knowledge now.

There is alot more going on on the XDA forums but they are harder to follow.

I actually find the stock ROM pretty good now it's rooted and with an official release of ICS (android 4.0) from Sony due in May, I considering leaving it alone till then at least.

I suppose you have a point when considering that Sony's not locking the Xperia Play any where close to what Orange was doing. It seems that they've only really blocked root and OC'ing - both which can screw up your phone if not done properly

What I would like though is for youtube, facebook etc.. to be movable to the Micro SD card as they were with my ZTE blade but because they're part of the ROM, they're unmovable and really annoying because I could save around 40/50MB of space

This guide from the Cyanogen Mod site is pretty good.

http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide

Thanks I've seen that relatively recently through a link on the CM site after I did some more hunting on google when I had no replies :) but every little helps

Guest JasonLeeming

Rooting is actually really easy. There's a decent topic over on XDA about it. It's as simple as installing a program in Windows, then rooting it. I think the program is Super One Click Root. Once you've rooted it you'll be able to get rid of all the crap SE pre- installed.

Guest waqasahmed

Rooting is actually really easy. There's a decent topic over on XDA about it. It's as simple as installing a program in Windows, then rooting it. I think the program is Super One Click Root. Once you've rooted it you'll be able to get rid of all the crap SE pre- installed.

Yup, I used Super One click root but I can't uninstall a fair few things,it looks like

Guest waqasahmed

For some reason, I cant edit my previous post but I've found out how to uninstall the system apps. Seemingly it's not possible through the android firmware but is possible through titanium backup