Does compass function work for anyone?

Guest jm888

I've been playing with apps that use the compass function, such as Compass 2.1.1 and Osmand mapping. On many Roms that I've tested on my phone, the compass function does not work in any Rom after 2.2. The stock Rom (2.1) and Equiliym's sense2.2 both give correct compass function.

Can anyone confirm that the compass works on their phone, with any Rom after 2.2?

thanks

Guest equiliym

edit: disregard this, was somewhat offtopic.. ill check this out but if anyone knows anything, do tell :)

edit2: seems to work on my phone :o

Edited by equiliym

Guest equiliym

dosnt seem to want to calibrate correctly, it's saying west is north on mine, same with gps apk

:(

thats odd.. ill give that a check when i have free time p; i did notice errors with sensors in logcat but dunno if its related with compass D:

Guest plegdroid

thats odd.. ill give that a check when i have free time p; i did notice errors with sensors in logcat but dunno if its related with compass D:

evening mate :P, I even tried calibration out side, the back of our house faces north, and it reflects as being east, it's a full 90° out, I tried with compass and gps, never really had to use a compass in Manchester, but thought id test anyway :D

@Jim, how far is yours out? out of interest :)

edit,, above post edited due to my poor math.

Edited by plegdroid

Guest equiliym

evening mate :P, I even tried calibration out side, the back of our house faces north, and it reflects as being east, it's a full 45° out, I tried with compass and gps, never really had to use a compass in Manchester, but thought id test anyway :D

so after calibrating, does it work better? does it show right?

Guest Racerboy

my gps is fine, just tried outside lol facing the correct position (did a 360 spin just to make sure) alls good, i tried compass off market and that said the correct facing position of my house, which is north......so all works :lol:

my rom #224v2

Edited by Racerboy

Guest equiliym

my gps is fine, just tried outside lol facing the correct position (did a 360 spin just to make sure) alls good, i tried compass off market and that said the correct facing position of my house, which is north......so all works :lol:

my rom #224v2

my gps doenst work, i think its hardware, never did even with stock rom so i use it based on wifi/mobile network D:but it still works

Edited by equiliym

Guest plegdroid

is there any test to check if gps is working? on stock an indicator would show it was active, but since I've had custom stuff on one dosnt show when turned on

:$

Guest equiliym

is there any test to check if gps is working? on stock an indicator would show it was active, but since I've had custom stuff on one dosnt show when turned on

tbh my friend just turned on latitude, left it for a few mins and done, precise in 3m of device (if i wrote that good)

Guest plegdroid

tbh my friend just turned on latitude, left it for a few mins and done, precise in 3m of device (if i wrote that good)

I'll download and try :)

and yes you did :D

edit:my current location is tempererly unavailable:lol: I do live next to a mountain range if that's buggering it up :lol:

Edited by plegdroid

Guest equiliym

edit:my current location is tempererly unavailable:lol: I do live next to a mountain range if that's buggering it up :lol:

lol i dunno, should be on open/clear sky for registering with satellite, after that should work without much issues p;

Guest plegdroid

lol i dunno, should be on open/clear sky for registering with satellite, after that should work without much issues p;

clear sky:lol: I'll try at work in the morning

:P

evening mate :P, I even tried calibration out side, the back of our house faces north, and it reflects as being east, it's a full 45° out, I tried with compass and gps, never really had to use a compass in Manchester, but thought id test anyway :D

I'm finding mine is 90° out, compass points west instead of north, BUT only if the phone is placed horizontal to the ground. If the phone is tilted, the compass direction swings around, as though it is reacting to the accelerometer.

my rom #224v2

I've just done a clean load of 224v2, the behaviour is the same; the compass usually points west if the phone is held horizontal, otherwise tends to swing with the incline of the phone. Sense 2.2 rom behaves ok, compass points north.

GPS is working fine on all Roms, only problem is the compass.

cheers

Guest plegdroid

I'm finding mine is 90° out, compass points west instead of north, BUT only if the phone is placed horizontal to the ground. If the phone is tilted, the compass direction swings around, as though it is reacting to the accelerometer.

when I did my math, I should have stated 90°,not 45° or ,it's a full quarter out

:)

Edited by plegdroid

Guest plegdroid

well gps working, used compass and that found my location in 30 seconds, did get a error message "abnormal magnetic field detected " when trying to recalibrate the compass, I can sense me having to go to the park or other open place to calibrate, at least gps is working, as Jim had said 90° off still, it thinks North is East while phone is flat, but comes true if at an angle, not really good if I really required to use it. :(

#224v2

Edited by plegdroid

Guest equiliym

well gps working, used compass and that found my location in 30 seconds, did get a error message "abnormal magnetic field detected " when trying to recalibrate the compass, I can sense me having to go to the park or other open place to calibrate, at least gps is working, as Jim had said 90° off still, it thinks North is East while phone is flat, but comes true if at an angle, not really good if I really required to use it. :(

#224v2

haha oh wow.. well, i did check it a bit, compared to 2.2 roms, 2.3 is missing some sensor permissions and stuffs, not sure how that would work tho but i can try getting some of the files on 2.3 D:

Guest Racerboy

haha oh wow.. well, i did check it a bit, compared to 2.2 roms, 2.3 is missing some sensor permissions and stuffs, not sure how that would work tho but i can try getting some of the files on 2.3 D:

this is strange :blink: so hows it working on mine as it should, but partially working on plegdroids (totally same phone, rom):P

if theres permissions missing from 2.3 roms then it should`nt work at all ??? am i right?:)

Guest plegdroid

@Racerboy,take it with your phone nothing is frozen out in system,you run it with all preinstalled app available as when first installed? :)

edit just tried with all unfrozen but still the same :[

Edited by plegdroid

Guest Racerboy

@Racerboy,take it with your phone nothing is frozen out in system,you run it with all preinstalled app available as when first installed? :)

correcto, nothing frozen or taken out, i could maybe understand the slight hardware differences with equiliym and jm888`s phones but very strange yours dont work fully or gives incorrect values blah blah blah

Guest Racerboy

baffled

maybe those "mountains" of burnt out cars where you live give magnetic interfearance or the sky aint clear enough :lol: ( i joke) sry m8 had too

BUT Seriously I`m baffled aswell, another one of lifes little mysteries