Why is there a 16kohm resistance over the battery terminals?

Guest vanepico

Guest vanepico

I've just bought a usb to charge my phone, gone back to the phone, only to find the battery is reading 0.03 volts, checked the battery terminals and there is an astonishingly high resistance (16.7kohms) across the battery terminals which has f***ed my battery over, what the hell is wrong with this phone?

Guest jventura

I've just bought a usb to charge my phone, gone back to the phone, only to find the battery is reading 0.03 volts, checked the battery terminals and there is an astonishingly high resistance (16.7kohms) across the battery terminals which has f***ed my battery over, what the hell is wrong with this phone?

Hi,

I don't understand your question. Are you saying that you are measuring 16.7 KiloOhms in your battery terminals?

Battery internal resistance in fact prejudices the battery. Also, below 3.0 V it is hard to "save" the battery!

I suggest reading this page: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_does_internal_resistance_affect_performance

Guest vanepico

I was talking about the battery contacts on the phone, this should definately not be this high and I am surprised the battery has any voltage what so ever, I know the battery can't be saved but I'm rather fed up with this phone!

It was working perfectly, all bar the front buttons didn't work. I have spent a fortune trying to get this phone to work, if anyone wants a front touch screen + front bezel and a brand new TFT screen I've got one, the board may work partially but it is probably toast :s

Guest vanepico

even with the phone switched off there is a massive resistance, ie something to draw current from the battery, what is there to not understand? my battery is f***ed.

If you leave the battery in a normal phone it will have some battery left after a week of being in a box right? Before it went away it was reading 4.2 volts which it should, now 0.02 volts, maybe the battery was already damaged or something, but it defies sense as to why there is such a high resistance over a circuit that is switched off?

Guest Rooster#1

even with the phone switched off there is a massive resistance, ie something to draw current from the battery, what is there to not understand? my battery is f***ed.

If you leave the battery in a normal phone it will have some battery left after a week of being in a box right? Before it went away it was reading 4.2 volts which it should, now 0.02 volts, maybe the battery was already damaged or something, but it defies sense as to why there is such a high resistance over a circuit that is switched off?

ALL circuits that are switched "OFF" have a high resistance !!!!!

Doing a bit of maths.... 3.7V divided by 16.7K Ohms gives us 0.0002215 Amps or 225.1 uA (microamps) perfectly acceptable standby current ! As the battery has a capacity of 1200mAh (1.2Ah) 1200 multiplied by 1000 gives us 1200000 uAh.

1200000 divided by 225 = 5333.3333 hours = 222 DAYS !!!!!

Of course this is all mathematical - assuming zero losses and a perfect battery... but is proves that the resistance you are measuring amount to NOTHING !!!!!

I haven't measured mine (no DVM to hand at the minute), but 16k7 Ohms does not sound unfeasible. If you had a very low (near zero) resistance across the terminals then you would effectively be shorting the battery out, which is not recommended with any battery type!