[ICS] [CM9] [4.0.4] ColdFusionX for the ZTE Blade [ROM] [UPDATED - 28/06]

Guest tilal6991

Just flashed the update from yesterday and first impressions are better than I expected! Some people were reporting problems with gallery. I noticed there is google's gallery app in the gapps package which will replace the gallery app in the rom. I'm currently using the original one without problems, so makes me wonder if it's the gallery in gapps that's causing trouble? Can someone who's having problems with gallery replace GalleryGoogle.apk with the original Gallery2.apk and see if it makes any difference?

Thanks tilal, your work is highly appreciated!

edit: hmm.. was in a bit too much of a hurry to post. The gallery works, but it's not flawless (FC's now and then etc..).

Edited by sm4tik

Guest Vardant

Really - I've always thought they were the same - I'll add it in a couple of releases time.

Next release - better kernel, even smoother UI, better battery life, proximity calibration by default, GPU OCCing (thanks to wbaw), WiFi undervolt (better battery life)(thanks to wbaw), WiFi modules update, Kernel undervolt at low frequencies (better battery life)(thanks to wbaw)

Updating the market, so it shows all the available apps, that the Blade can run would also be highly appreciated. I'm having trouble to install some of them even from the apk.

Awesome job nonetheless. I almost gave up on the idea of having an ICS ROM, that would be usable on a daily basis, but I know it's just a matter of time now.

Guest tilal6991

Updating the market, so it shows all the available apps, that the Blade can run would also be highly appreciated. I'm having trouble to install some of them even from the apk.

Awesome job nonetheless. I almost gave up on the idea of having an ICS ROM, that would be usable on a daily basis, but I know it's just a matter of time now.

Forgot to mention that - already included in the new one.

Guest targetbsp

Forgot to mention that - already included in the new one.

As far as I can tell... you need the full gapps rather than your stripped version to do that. Do you mean you have a solution purely from the rom or a new gapps package to use with it?

Guest tilal6991

As far as I can tell... you need the full gapps rather than your stripped version to do that. Do you mean you have a solution purely from the rom or a new gapps package to use with it?

Well both - I've updated both the GAPPs and the fingerprint in build.prop.

Guest matcho13579

Is it just me or does it take a long time to install anything from the market and also sometimes when my phone goes to sleep it won't wake.

no problem for me...

Guest KonstaT

That one is a really bad move. It barely improves battery life (and even then only in very select circumstances) and causes stability issues. I think everyone compiling CM7 builds has ditched it now.

Here's my most recent post on the subject: http://android.modaco.com/topic/335328-romgen2cyanogenmod-7-android-237/page__st__12500__p__1898340#entry1898340

There are plenty of other views in that thread - but obviously it takes some reading.

Just don't go assuming it's a good thing because it's nowhere near as good as it sounds!

Would you then care to tell us what kind of stability issues CPU undervolting causes? I've had exactly zero reports of stability issues because of the CPU undervolting with Swedish Snow. Maybe with some other more unstable ROMs it's the last straw that breaks the camel's spine. ;) And even you found up to 10% increase in battery life in optimal conditions...

Few other feedbacks/"bugs" I found:

-After boot if I slided the lock left hand side (something camera icon), phone rebooted after entered my PIN.

-also speedtest.net app is FCing..no idea why...

However for Calculator I'm using RealCalc (OK)

for Gallery, SmartGallery Free (OK)

for browser, Opera Mini (OK, however I like the Google Sync function in the stock browser very much.

and one other thing:

When I enabled 16bit transpanency under performance menu, Google maps didn't show anything except menus and also didn't see any major performance improvements when enabled...is it still recommended to use 16bit transpanency?

Guest targetbsp

Would you then care to tell us what kind of stability issues CPU undervolting causes? I've had exactly zero reports of stability issues because of the CPU undervolting with Swedish Snow. Maybe with some other more unstable ROMs it's the last straw that breaks the camel's spine. ;) And even you found up to 10% increase in battery life in optimal conditions...

I only had 1 crash using it - but it's one more than my phone had had in the few months before and after using it (so the rom is not unstable. ;) back at ya. :P ). Far from conclusive though I agree. I'm mostly going off of a few others that said it made their phones unstable. I just didn't think it was a good idea to introduce such potential this early in a roms life when it could crash and we wouldn't know if it was down to UV or not. Surely logically speaking, irrespective of any real world experiences, lowering the CPU's power below spec for everybody, with no ability to configure it for your individual CPU is just as risky for stability as a forced light overclock?

As for its improvement in optimal conditions, I don't dispute that at all. What I have a problem with is that optimal condition is screen off and CPU under load at a low frequency. And any other condition I tested showed zero or insignificant improvement. Now for where I have issue: I can only think of 1 real world scenario in which that condition is met - playing mp3's. Now my phone is also my primary MP3 player but even now it uses a fraction of its battery life playing MP3's vs other tasks I do on it so I don't think its worth the risk myself!

Now maybe it does only cause issue with CM. But... well... this is CM! :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

Just flashed the update from yesterday and first impressions are better than I expected! Some people were reporting problems with gallery. I noticed there is google's gallery app in the gapps package which will replace the gallery app in the rom. I'm currently using the original one without problems, so makes me wonder if it's the gallery in gapps that's causing trouble? Can someone who's having problems with gallery replace GalleryGoogle.apk with the original Gallery2.apk and see if it makes any difference?

Thanks tilal, your work is highly appreciated!

edit: hmm.. was in a bit too much of a hurry to post. The gallery works, but it's not flawless (FC's now and then etc..).

When it wasn't force closing though... do you happen to know if cropping wallpaper worked? That's all I use gallery for lol.

I've got GalleryGoogle.apk working, lol. Don't know how that worked or related, but just flashed tilaz' Samsung Bravia Engine for the Skate:

HWa seams to be still intact.

Edit: Not working anymore O.o

Okay, maybe it just randomly works for me. Maybe it randomly works for me, unrelated to the Bravia engine.

Edited by FelixL

Guest MidaMilunk

I have just flashed this ROM, and it is really promising! Surprisingly smooth, feels absolutely usable!

But... there are no gapps. I have followed the installation steps, after installing gapps, I got some "Optimizing new apps" and "Android is upgrading"... but finally no market, or initial wizzard. Contacts are synced, but can not use market.

Guest Chocolate Columbo

Can anyone get decent video playback? Mainly from YouTube? H/W decoding lags drastically and software decoding immediately falls out of sync.

Guest targetbsp

@MidaMilunk Do you have a big enough system partition? If you have 160 the gapps won't fit.

@Chocolate Columbo: See post 2. :)

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Chocolate Columbo

I'm trying JetVD with MoboPlayer, MX Video, VPlayer, RockPlayer... as I said with H/W it lags like crazy and with S/W it immediately goes out of sync. Is it working fine for you?

Edited by Chocolate Columbo

Guest targetbsp

I've not actually tried youtube. I've only actually seen one video on it - a game intro. And it wasn't great but as it didn't work at all for me on CM7 I considered it a vast improvement personally. :D

I was under the impression that good video playback was the one thing we might never get in ICS on the blade?

Guest MidaMilunk

@MidaMilunk Do you have a big enough system partition? If you have 160 the gapps won't fit.

Well, this was my guess as well. I have tried to customise a TPT for myself with "TPT helper", but I was not sure I succeded. How can I check it? I can not install any apps currently, system itself does not show the system partitons size.

The cwm install or generating the Dalvik cache did not raise any exception.

I only had 1 crash using it - but it's one more than my phone had had in the few months before and after using it (so the rom is not unstable. ;) back at ya. :P ). Far from conclusive though I agree. I'm mostly going off of a few others that said it made their phones unstable. I just didn't think it was a good idea to introduce such potential this early in a roms life when it could crash and we wouldn't know if it was down to UV or not. Surely logically speaking, irrespective of any real world experiences, lowering the CPU's power below spec for everybody, with no ability to configure it for your individual CPU is just as risky for stability as a forced light overclock?

As for its improvement in optimal conditions, I don't dispute that at all. What I have a problem with is that optimal condition is screen off and CPU under load at a low frequency. And any other condition I tested showed zero or insignificant improvement. Now for where I have issue: I can only think of 1 real world scenario in which that condition is met - playing mp3's. Now my phone is also my primary MP3 player but even now it uses a fraction of its battery life playing MP3's vs other tasks I do on it so I don't think its worth the risk myself!

Now maybe it does only cause issue with CM. But... well... this is CM! :D

I'd have to agree with targetbsp here. While I don't have any further evidence to show that undervolting causes instability I remember finding that the power saved by undervolting is actually quite small and insignificant. Especially since you only tend to undervolt at the lower frequencies (I think). But then I'm no expert

Guest Chocolate Columbo

I think I have it working better. I read on here to try mp4 through H/W, but low quality FLV over S/W seems to work better. A sacrifice of quality for a bonus that it is even working at all I suppose.

Guest fox2000

Well, this was my guess as well. I have tried to customise a TPT for myself with "TPT helper", but I was not sure I succeded. How can I check it? I can not install any apps currently, system itself does not show the system partitons size.

The cwm install or generating the Dalvik cache did not raise any exception.

Terminal emulator, type df at the prompt. The first part of the output is your partitions map, there you will find /system with its size and free space.