Flash & Market on Vega

Guest hazel303

Guest hazel303

Hi All

Having read a lot of the threads on here I know I'm going to bore everyone with the same question. I've just got an Advent Vega for my husband as I've been trying to teach him how to use a computer , it has been quite painfl lol he seems tobe able to use my Asus Transformer easier than my laptop so I have brought him the Advent (from ebay at a very good price and only 2 months old) I without realising I would have such a problem with the market and flash. :blink:

I can normally follow instructions but although I've found some before landing here I just dont understand them . Does anyone know of a complete idiots step by step guide showing me how to do it as all the technical bumph goes straight over my head. Again apologise for the same boring question I've trawled through loads of posts on here but cant find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm on a mission now I dont want this tablet to get the better of me :D

AlsoThe tablet shows Flash version 10.3 is installed but cannot view you tube, google earth or anythng with flash I've tried updating but just keep failing.

I'm not a complete idiot and can follow instruction but dont understand all the various names ie kitchen etc.

Big big thanks to anyone who has a bit of patience who may be able to help.

Thank you

Guest GedBlake

Hi All

Having read a lot of the threads on here I know I'm going to bore everyone with the same question. I've just got an Advent Vega for my husband as I've been trying to teach him how to use a computer , it has been quite painfl lol he seems tobe able to use my Asus Transformer easier than my laptop so I have brought him the Advent (from ebay at a very good price and only 2 months old) I without realising I would have such a problem with the market and flash. :blink:

I can normally follow instructions but although I've found some before landing here I just dont understand them . Does anyone know of a complete idiots step by step guide showing me how to do it as all the technical bumph goes straight over my head. Again apologise for the same boring question I've trawled through loads of posts on here but cant find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm on a mission now I dont want this tablet to get the better of me :D

AlsoThe tablet shows Flash version 10.3 is installed but cannot view you tube, google earth or anythng with flash I've tried updating but just keep failing.

I'm not a complete idiot and can follow instruction but dont understand all the various names ie kitchen etc.

Big big thanks to anyone who has a bit of patience who may be able to help.

Thank you

Hi, hazel303...

If I understand you correctly, you need the latest version of Adobe Flash and Android Market... if so, you will to need to flash a CUSTOM ROM; ie., replace the software currently running on your husbands Vega.

The simplest way of doing this is via nvFlash...

There are two ROMs currently supported by this method of flashing;

1) HoneyIce RC3 Chimera Edition. - download link here http://www.mediafire.com/?o15ud615rtbez4i

and the details here http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/3084-%5Brom%5D-honey-ice.html

2) VegaICS Beta1 - download link here http://www.mediafire.com/?jr0xi1nsbpuxezv

and the details here http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/3817-%5Brom%5D-vegaics-beta1.html

I would recommend the first, as being the most stable of the two...

------------------------------------

Here's what you need to do...

First, you will need the Windows USB System driver (available here http://www.myadventvega.co.uk under 'downloads' ).

Download and EXTRACT (ie. unzip) it a folder on your PC (eg. C:/ADVENT)

Connect your Vega to your PC, via a USB cable.

Connect your Vega to the mains, via the charger.

On the Vega, effect a FORCED POWERDOWN by long pressing (6 seconds or more) the POWERBUTTON.

Now to enter nvFLASH RECOVERY MODE...

Press and hold the BACKBUTTON for 2 seconds

Still holding the BACKBUTTON, press the POWERBUTTON for 2 seconds

...and release...

But continue to hold the BACKBUTTON for a further 2 seconds.

Upon succesfull completion of this key press sequence, your PC will either direct you to install the USB System driver (in which case, point it to the folder as detailed above)...

...or it will 'ping' the 'found new hardware' sound

Now, on your PC, you can double click on the previously downloaded ROM .exe file.

Press RUN from the proffered dialogue box... it will begin extracting...

After this, your PC will initiate the nvFlash process and you may see the Advent Vegas screen illuminate with the message

"Entering nvflash recovery / nv3p server".

DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING... let it do its thing - it will only take about 45 seconds.

Press ENTER when complete... your PC will tell you when (in the DOS box)... allow a few seconds more for Windows to disconnect from the tablet...

Physically disconnect the Vega from its twin umbilicals of power and data... long press the power button... and...

------------------------------------

...and... assuming all has gone to plan, your husbands Vega will now be running a variant of either HoneyComb or IceCreamSandwich... both of which come with Android Market as standard.

But it's not over yet... to get Adobe Flash you will need to download it from Android Market... of which you will need a Google account login.

A new email (gmail) and password...

Good luck...

GED.

Guest Stokesy-

Nice set of instructions GED.

One thing I would add is try to using AUDI TOOLs to get the drivers on your PC (search this site and you will find the links to download). It will also help you make sure your Vega is in recovery mode. Just download tool, run and follow instructions for installing the stock rom.

Good luck and post back if you get stuck.

Edited by Stokesy-

Guest hazel303

Nice set of instructions GED.

One thing I would add is try to using AUDI TOOLs to get the drivers on your PC (search this site and you will find the links to download). It will also help you make sure your Vega is in recovery mode. Just download tool, run and follow instructions for installing the stock rom.

Good luck and post back if you get stuck.

Hi GED

Thanks for your reply instructions seem easy enough to follow but as I've not done anything like this before will wait until I get some time over weekend and concentrate without disruption (not easy in my house lol :D

I will definately get back to let you know how I get on . Thank you so much for your quick reply and instruction.

thanks also Stokesey for your bit.

Wish me Luck :rolleyes:

Guest GedBlake

Hi GED

Thanks for your reply instructions seem easy enough to follow but as I've not done anything like this before will wait until I get some time over weekend and concentrate without disruption (not easy in my house lol :D

I will definately get back to let you know how I get on . Thank you so much for your quick reply and instruction.

thanks also Stokesey for your bit.

Wish me Luck :rolleyes:

No problem, hazel303...

Addenda to my inital post... I forgot to mention that prior to doing anything, you should back up the contents of the Advent Vegas SD card (if you have anything important on it) to your PC...

It is recommended that you then format it... a Windows quick format will do; but if I remember rightly, the Vega can do it for you..

On the Vega go to...

MENU > SETTINGS > SD & PHONE STORAGE > FORMAT SD CARD

I think you will have to UNMOUNT the card first; this option is in the same settings area... I haven't ran the default stockrom in months, so my memory is a little hazy.

As Stokesy says... any problems, post back here.

GED.