#askmodaco - The Sony Xperia S

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Following on from our Xperia S / P / U preview... we're taking #askmodaco questions on the Xperia S!

If you have a burning query you'd like us to answer, you'd like to know something about the hardware or software or indeed you'd just like me to test something for you... ask below! If it's a question I can't answer i'll forward it to Sony as appropriate.

9fbd4be66f946d8018d3aa6ad341dd5d.png

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

How does it feel like in hand compared to Galaxy Nexus and HTC One X? It looks much thicker hence heavier, is it really that noticeable?

Guest PaulOBrien

It's not really much thicker in hand that the Galaxy Nexus, at least mine with the slightly bigger battery. It feels a fair bit bigger than the Arc / S tho, primarily because of the cool curved back on that!

P

Guest AP2012

Realise this is early days, but any inkling about battery life?

Unless battery life is stellar, could be a deal breaker for me given it is non-replaceable.

Thanks Paul. Does Xperia S have roughly the same footprint as Arc/ArcS? I'd expect so, given both have same screen size (4.3").

Few other things that crossed my mind:

1) How is the camera, is it better than in Arc? The latter seem to struggle with lots of noise in lowlight conditions.

2) Is the gallery app replaced/improved, ie. does it also lag to load pics when swooping through the gallery quickly as on Arc/ArcS?

3) Is 32GB memory accessible via USB mass storage or MTP only?

4) How the display compares to Galaxy Nexus, which one do you think looks better?

Guest PaulOBrien

Realise this is early days, but any inkling about battery life?

Unless battery life is stellar, could be a deal breaker for me given it is non-replaceable.

Far too early to say! It's 1750mAh tho, so hopefully it'll be pretty decent.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks Paul. Does Xperia S have roughly the same footprint as Arc/ArcS? I'd expect so, given both have same screen size (4.3").

Few other things that crossed my mind:

1) How is the camera, is it better than in Arc? The latter seem to struggle with lots of noise in lowlight conditions.

2) Is the gallery app replaced/improved, ie. does it also lag to load pics when swooping through the gallery quickly as on Arc/ArcS?

3) Is 32GB memory accessible via USB mass storage or MTP only?

4) How the display compares to Galaxy Nexus, which one do you think looks better?

1. I'm just about to go out and start taking pictures. I found the Arc / S pretty good tho!

2. I'll test.

3. Ewww, it appears to be MTP only. I imagine that'll be the case with ICS too.

4. I'm not a massive fan of the GN display tbh, I think the the Xperia S looks sharper!

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Do you know if the bootloader can be unlocked easily. I've heard talk that it's a simple command much like the Nexii.

It will depend I believe on where you buy your device, but generic devices can be unlocked via the official Sony Mobile tool as I understand it.

P

Guest jack42

What sort of protective layer, if any, is there on the display? Does it offer Gorilla Glass-like protection?

In case the camera software is final or near-final, I would love to see some actual camera pictures too.

Guest PaulOBrien

What sort of protective layer, if any, is there on the display? Does it offer Gorilla Glass-like protection?

In case the camera software is final or near-final, I would love to see some actual camera pictures too.

It doesn't say if it's gorilla glass per se, but it is 'reinforced and scratch resistant'.

P

Guest AP2012

Far too early to say! It's 1750mAh tho, so hopefully it'll be pretty decent.

P

Thanks Paul.

Also, have you seen it in white, and if so how to the two colours compare? Any difference in finish or your own preference?

Guest PaulOBrien

In what way does the 'Playstation certified' slogan manifest on the S?

It doesn't yet - the Playstation icon goes to a mid-march launch placeholder.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks Paul.

Also, have you seen it in white, and if so how to the two colours compare? Any difference in finish or your own preference?

Sadly i've only seen it in black. The white looks great in the pictures tho...

P

Guest 3shirts

Thanks for all the answers here, sorry to bombard.

Does the NFC work 'freely' so will worth with Wallet, NFC Task Launcher etc just like on the Nexus S and Galaxy or is it restricted to Sony's own tags?

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks for all the answers here, sorry to bombard.

Does the NFC work 'freely' so will worth with Wallet, NFC Task Launcher etc just like on the Nexus S and Galaxy or is it restricted to Sony's own tags?

It works fine with my generic tags.

P

Guest RiotRick

I've seen a couple of different unboxing videos. The box contents seem to differ a bit from each other (perhaps by country). Some seem to have a screen protector pre-applied, some have a screen protector in the box, some have none. Just wondering if I need to order one seperate for mine. Same goes for the hdmi cable, did yours come with one?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.