[Development][ROM] cm9

Guest pier11

Guest dr.flo

hey pier,

sorry for not being more supportive on this, but I have decided that although it is interesting, it may not be worth the amount of time it takes. We can expect this port to reach some basic functionality, but at what price? It will never be perfect - even cm6 still has issues. I think we should not have a phone where there is "no sound during a call" and stuff like this. Not even sometimes... this will be endless work and probably no one - apart from a few posts in a thread - will be able to really thank you for the time you spend on this.

I just started working on this because by chance I ended up with this pulse phone. In the end, I just want a phone that works reliably and can run a few current apps. I don't like the idea of loosing sms if the phone is low on ram and stuff like this. Some hardware limitations just cannot be worked around in software...

I wish you good luck on this, but don't work too hard... :)

Edited by dr.flo

Guest pier11

Fixed that ridiculous mouse pointer when operating jogball. Thanks to HeroC ICS active development.

Now jogball operates as before.

Was a matter of another .idc config

Guest twrock

sorry for not being more supportive on this, but I have decided that although it is interesting, it may not be worth the amount of time it takes. We can expect this port to reach some basic functionality, but at what price? It will never be perfect - even cm6 still has issues. I think we should not have a phone where there is "no sound during a call" and stuff like this. Not even sometimes... this will be endless work and probably no one - apart from a few posts in a thread - will be able to really thank you for the time you spend on this.

I just started working on this because by chance I ended up with this pulse phone. In the end, I just want a phone that works reliably and can run a few current apps. I don't like the idea of loosing sms if the phone is low on ram and stuff like this. Some hardware limitations just cannot be worked around in software...

Of course each one will choose how to use their time, but I really like your way of looking at this dr.flo.

I recall Tom G moving on to CM7 before CM6 was really a "solid" rom. I kept waiting on a CM6 "final" that never came. Quite a few bugs remained that have subsequently been patched/hacked/resolved. Now with your CM6 ports, we are very much closer to that rom I kept waiting for. But it has been a looooooong wait. CM7 is now starting to feel the same; it's close, but not complete. Will it get there, or will those of you who really know how to find and fix things move on before it is "completed"? Is the draw of the "next big challenge" too strong?

Maybe my sights are too low, but my dream is to have a really solid CM6 rom, free of "show-stopper" bugs. If I had that, I can imagine myself happily using my phone for the remainder of 2012. (I expect to get a new phone in January 2013, after I complete a temporary relocation.) And if somehow CM7 can get there too, that would be great too. :D

Just my $0.02.

Guest gold-concert

Personally, I think that it is necessary to try to port the new version of Android.

Then it will choose what is best to finish .For example, it makes no sense to improve the CM6, if the same amount of workmust be invested in improving the ICS. If this is really - why not? Moreover, our device is capable of running ICS.

I very much want to thank pier11, dr.flo and twrock (sorry if someone forgot) for the work you are doing.

I've several times wanted to replace the device, but success in the CM7 I stopped. And now and ICS.

Guest sasukekun67

I think a good cm9 build will give our phone a last breath before we move on and hope you guys get it to work properly!

Thanks for working on this, your work is amazing :)

Cheers

Guest pier11

brightness start to work if replace all libs from u8150 build...

need to figure which one exactly is responsible and what we are missing in our build.

Without it display is at minimal brightness and can't be adjusted...

EDIT:

narrowed down to /system/libs/hw/*

if then delete lihgts.u8150.so - it breaks brightness control. So pretty much think this is the lib making difference.

And we are not building lights.u8xxx.so (we did in cm7 build) ...

@dtox125 ?

I see u8150 require it like that:

PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \

lights.u8150 \

gps.u8150
Also we likely need to add:
# Audio

PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \

audio.a2dp.default

Edited by pier11

Guest dtox125

brightness start to work if replace all libs from u8150 build...

need to figure which one exactly is responsible and what we are missing in our build.

Without it display is at minimal brightness and can't be adjusted...

EDIT:

narrowed down to /system/libs/hw/*

if then delete lihgts.u8150.so - it breaks brightness control. So pretty much think this is the lib making difference.

And we are not building lights.u8xxx.so (we did in cm7 build) ...

@dtox125 ?

I see u8150 require it like that:

PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \

lights.u8150 \

gps.u8150
Also we likely need to add:
# Audio

PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \

audio.a2dp.default

yes you should add that for audio as for the lights.u8220 and gps.u8220 did you tried to compile with dose lines.if i remember had some errors wnhen compiling.

Edited by dtox125

Guest pier11

yes you should add that for audio as for the lights.u8220 and gps.u8220 did you tried to compile with dose lines.if i remember had some errors wnhen compiling.

compilation with lights.u8220 fails, complaining on unknown

LIGHT_ID_CAPS

LIGHT_ID_FUNC

LIGHT_ID_WIMAX
Those and related logic were added to out lib, compared to msm7k. need to debug
static int open_lights(const struct hw_module_t* module, char const* name,

struct hw_device_t** device)

to see what 'name' are coming into on keypad lighting event as well as on display backlight on/off (it's all in one lib).

Good chances if we make it right, keypad leds will work as well.

Edited by pier11

Guest pier11

the following entry points are in lights.msm7k of our original Eclair rom:

/sys/class/leds/jogball-backlight/brightness

/sys/class/leds/red/brightness

/sys/class/leds/green/brightness

/sys/class/leds/blue/brightness

/sys/class/leds/amber/brightness

/sys/class/leds/red/device/grpfreq

/sys/class/leds/red/device/grppwm

/sys/class/leds/red/device/blink

/sys/class/leds/amber/blink

/sys/class/leds/keyboard-backlight/brightness

/sys/class/leds/lcd-backlight/brightness

/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/brightness

Guest lamiax32

Very Good ! I'm french, i live in french. I'm the French Guy xD =)

Serriously, Very good work, i Love !! i install in my u8230, it's good.

I'm enthousiastic. Thank's for this work and this share !

Edited by lamiax32

Guest pier11

This addition in device_u8220.mk

PRODUCT_LOCALES := en_GB

overridden many many locales defiled in languages_full.mk, inherited from full_base.mk

So I commented it out and recompiling to get all languages back...

EDIT:

we need to figure what made mass storage work on u8150 rom but not on us. That's probably the last shortfall of our build. Others have got treatment already:

- sound

- touchscreen

- jogball "mouse-ness"

- brightness

- rotation

- keyboard position

- languages

Edited by pier11

Guest pier11

That should be related, right?

# USB mass storage

BOARD_CUSTOM_USB_CONTROLLER := ../../device/huawei/u8150/UsbController.cpp

BOARD_USE_USB_MASS_STORAGE_SWITCH := true

BOARD_HAS_SDCARD_INTERNAL := true

BOARD_SDCARD_DEVICE_INTERNAL := /dev/block/vold/179:1

BOARD_SDEXT_DEVICE := /dev/block/vold/179:2

BOARD_UMS_LUNFILE := /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file

TARGET_USE_CUSTOM_LUN_FILE_PATH  := "/sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file"

Guest pier11

OK, compiling and adding lights.u8220.so helped brightness, tested.

no keypad lights though. Will revisit later at some point.

EDIT:

multi-language support also works now, tested (It was only one en_GB in original config).

Edited by pier11

Guest dr.flo

That should be related, right?

# USB mass storage

BOARD_CUSTOM_USB_CONTROLLER := ../../device/huawei/u8150/UsbController.cpp

BOARD_USE_USB_MASS_STORAGE_SWITCH := true

BOARD_HAS_SDCARD_INTERNAL := true

BOARD_SDCARD_DEVICE_INTERNAL := /dev/block/vold/179:1

BOARD_SDEXT_DEVICE := /dev/block/vold/179:2

BOARD_UMS_LUNFILE := /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file

TARGET_USE_CUSTOM_LUN_FILE_PATH  := "/sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file"
This is related. The lun file path is correct for our system too (same kernel after all) try if

echo "/dev/block/vold/179:1" > /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file

turns on ums (like in ideos x3 rom).

Also it might be needed to review vold.conf for differences

I'm not sure about ICS but on gingerbread, all of these above options ended up in "vold" binary, so a quick test might be simply replacing that binary with the u8150 ics one.

If nothing helps, there is this app as potential workaround.

Guest pier11

.. all of these above options ended up in "vold" binary, so a quick test might be simply replacing that binary with the u8150 ics one.

That was a valuable thought!

Tested, replacement of vold from u8150 ics made usb mass storage work properly.

Trying to recompile my 30 GB ics to get that binary myself.

Guest Dr Who

WOOHOO - Added IPv6 = got Internet on ICS :)

over wifi :)

IPv6 consumed less than 100K in compressed kernel.<br>

This is great stuff Pier! Have you managed to get radio or mobile data working on this build?

Guest didije

Congratulations! That is just great. Can't wait to test it :) Keep up the good work. And dr. flo, you're THE MAN as well :)

Edited by didije

Guest pier11

This is great stuff Pier! Have you managed to get radio or mobile data working on this build?

Radio works. Mobile data doesn't.

Tested Browser, Gmail, Market - all worked OK

Sent from ics@pulse :)

Guest pier11

The last couple of things needed to resolve before more or less usable our own initial build are:

- where Messaging app gone;

- do something with distorted boot animation. As our hardware acceleration does not make friends with it, but it definitely helps UI (even though ics keeps thinking it doesn't have hardware acceleration). Maybe just somehow disable it, but then users will look quite some long time at blank screen before UI boots... Not ideal too.

Edited by pier11

Guest dr.flo

The last couple of things needed to resolve before more or less usable our own initial build are:

- where Messaging app gone;

- do something with distorted boot animation. As our hardware acceleration does not make friends with that, but it definitely helps UI (even though ics keeps thinking it doesn't have one). Maybe just somehow disable it, but then users will look quite some long time at blank screen before UI boots... Not ideal too.

if you remove custom boot animation - to restore "ANDROID" logo - do you get totally black screen during boot or white rectangle like it was in um840?

ideos x3 rom had black screen boot animation when activating hw acceleration. Exchanging gralloc module helped fix it. Maybe we also have some gralloc issues here?

Guest pier11

if you remove custom boot animation - to restore "ANDROID" logo - do you get totally black screen during boot or white rectangle like it was in um840?

ideos x3 rom had black screen boot animation when activating hw acceleration. Exchanging gralloc module helped fix it. Maybe we also have some gralloc issues here?

As I wrote, if remove ICS boot animation (which can be played just fine (but on a slower side) if no hardware acceleration enabled),

then "ANDROID" boot animation will be revealed. It will be animated, but colors will be weird and scaling gonna be completely off. (you can try to add hardware acceleration into the rom from first page to see what I refer to...)

boot animation issues are wrong colors and scaling (making overall experience wrong and unpleasant), but it animates.

Edited by pier11

Guest pier11

@dtox125,

do you miss Messaging apk on your build too, or just me?

it was present on u8150 rom...

Edited by pier11

Guest pier11

@dtox125,

do you miss Messaging apk on your build too, or just me?

it was present on u8150 rom...

OK, my best guess is that what is under label "Messaging" in UI is Mms.apk.

If that is correct that it's not build because I used profile full_base.mk,

now if use profile full_base_telephony.mk, it should be build... Will try.

EDIT:

That helped to build Mms.apk (was not a case before). Will check later if "Messaging" application will appear if I add the apk. I think it should...

Edited by pier11