[CM9] Cyanogenmod 9 for LiquidA1/LiquidE

Guest thepasto

Guest Delnar_Ersike

I find it funny that A1 users are complaining about how slow this is. After installing this ROM (with 256MB Swap, 128MB Ext2), I immediately set out to tinker with the performance options and restore AutoKiller Memory Optimizer, the usual things I do whenever I install a new ROM. After about 15 minutes of tinkering, my phone is actually faster than it was under my previous ROM, LiquidNext (which was a Gingerbread ROM, I might add). I did the following (though I might have missed something):

• Set my processor speeds to 245min-1113max and set my processor governor to lagfree
  • Disabled Surface Dithering and Enabled 16bit Transparency under Performance Options
  • Enabled Allow purging of assets and Kernel samepage merging under Memory Management
  • Enabled Customized CVS in LiquidParts, set the voltages as per the suggested ones, but set all voltages above 1500 mV to 1500 mV
  • Enabled CompCache (zRAM) to 18% (this actually slows down your device, I might disable it if I find the drawbacks outweighing the benefits of more RAM, therefore less chance that background apps will automatically be killed)
  • Updated BusyBox to 1.20.1 (doesn't necessarily give a speed boost, just thought I might mention it)
  • In LiquidParts, set SdCard Readahead to 2048 and Swappiness to 30. Swappiness is an interesting thing; set it too low and your device won't ever use Swap, which means it'll autokill everything in sight, but set it too high and your device will use Swap all the time, and since reading from and writing to the SD card is always slower than with actual RAM, this will also result in a slower device. In the past, I have always had a 256MB swap partition and set swappiness to 10, ICS is built with 512MB RAM devices to begin with, so I left the swappiness at 30, just in case. Someone should experiment to test how much different swappiness levels affect speeds on A1 devices running ICS ROMs...
  • Set all my Animations to 0.5 scale (doesn't give a speed boost; instead, makes menus and such appear faster but not as smoothly)
  • Set AutoKiller settings to Aggressive, enabled all 10 kernel tweaks (if you don't have the pro version of the app, you'll have to remember to launch AutoKiller after each reboot to apply the kernel tweaks each time)

Also, what I didn't do is change a limit on maximum background processes in the Development section; I believe that I can achieve the same effect on speed with my AutoKiller settings without the side effect of having important background apps (like Music or Trebuchet) getting killed whenever I launch a new app. I may be wrong however, and in that case, someone please correct me.

EDIT: I'm also unsure as to what effect forcing GPU rendering has, so I left it disabled for now.

Edited by Delnar_Ersike

Guest siggey

hello

is this rom fast or slow like almost ICS acer roms?

and what is the last release? (37 pages!)

What do you mean with ICS acer rom ?

Guest natostanco

I think the rom needs better multitasking with hard to kill launcher and less reboots while installing or updating apps which I guess is caused by SD?

Guest thepasto

I think the rom needs better multitasking with hard to kill launcher and less reboots while installing or updating apps which I guess is caused by SD?

I think you need more ram :D nothing more.. Sadly we can't add it to your phones :D I'm using it on liquid E and i don't remember when i had a reboot, i can't work on multitasking or other optimizations for a1 device because i don't have one..

IMO this rom is running great on 512mb devices not so much ramains to do..

Guest Sph1re

s*** ... I just bought to buy an SD card class 10 to put on my liquid and give it a second life (swap) during a reboot or AP2SD I do not know what it freeze on the startup animation since it is brick. ..

I have a black screen (backlight on) I see no Acer logo, not to go into bootloader recovry or ... ADT does not detect the terminal.

I try all manipulation with the battery to reactivate the impossible ... when it is on the way it heats

What to do?

I vibrations (bootloader and recovery)

no charging animation

Edited by Sph1re

Guest titus95

@Sph1re

I also had the problem after playing with the AP2SD's settings.

Must reflash the liquid.

Edited by titus95

Guest rjscosta

I can not flash it ... it will not turn at all ...

Remove the SD card and try to boot without it.

Sometimes the SD gets corrupted when partitioning for apps2sd.

If it boots weithout the SD card, you have to format and partition it on your computer.

Guest Delnar_Ersike

To all A1 users out there wanting a hard-to-kill launcher, or any user who wants a faster launcher overall, download Apex Launcher: it has a hard-to-kill option that actually works (unlike Nova Launcher) and as an added bonus, it isn't as buggy as the default Trebuchet Launcher.

At the moment, I'm still tinkering with certain settings to see how I can squeeze the fastest performance out of this ROM. Though it is usually quite fast, certain apps seem to run slowly, especially after transitioning between apps (must be a Swap thing). Compcache (zRAM) does actually result in an overall slower system, so I disabled it. I'm currently experimenting with Force GPU rendering settings, AutoKiller settings, Swappiness settings, and Chainfire 3D.

Guest thepasto

"Set Mobile Data Limit" and Cycle adjust are not working.

Below is a scrrenshot of what it sould look like.

Fixed in next release :)

Screenshot_2012-06-16-23-43-18.png

Guest rjscosta

Fixed in next release

Great news! I've reverted back to CM7.2 because of that (I'm on a very tight 100 MB data plan) and the lack of USB Mass Storage Mode.

Any news about USB Mass Storage?

Thinking of getting a bugtracker website? Must be kind of hard to keep track of reported bugs among this enormous thread.

Edited by rjscosta

Guest Ma7moud

waiting for replay

"is this rom fast or slow like almost ICS acer roms?

and what is the last release? (38 pages!) "

if you have Liquid E its ok

if you have Liquid A1 you might get some reboots and its slower than Liquid E

Guest thepasto

Great news! I've reverted back to CM7.2 because of that (I'm on a very tight 100 MB data plan) and the lack of USB Mass Storage Mode.

Any news about USB Mass Storage?

Thinking of getting a bugtracker website? Must be kind of hard to keep track of reported bugs among this enormous thread.

Mass storage working on next release..

I've a github account where you can report issues. Or you can write them here, if not reported on first post.

waiting for replay

"is this rom fast or slow like almost ICS acer roms?

and what is the last release? (38 pages!) "

Acer Liquid has not ics rom from acer. So we can't compare cm9 with a stock rom.

Last release is beta3 avaiable on first post

Guest zorginho

hey thepasto, have u seen the linaro's work on ics?

probably will be included in cm9 sources, and it can be a great thing for us :D

Guest thepasto

hey thepasto, have u seen the linaro's work on ics?

probably will be included in cm9 sources, and it can be a great thing for us

I already compiled linaro toolchain.. Will try to use it to build cm, but i need more time so if no cm merge, next release will use default toolchains

Guest JustinChasez

Hello the pasto.

I did re-flash the ROM and now it's ok except from:

- ADB not working. I currently don't have wifi so I can't test ADB Network, but if ADB network works, so I think I can ignore the problem with USB debugging.

- LED indicators flash wrong. Email/SMS/Viber/Messager make the missed call flashed, and so do the messaging LED.

- This is a bit faster than MIUI and CM7.2 (sometimes), but sometimes, it automatically reboot. I have 256MB of Swap, but I dont have any choice since CMRecovery only let me set Swap at max 256MB, is it due to the swap ?

- Is the browser of this ROM taken from Google's source? I pull the Browser.apk from SDK and this file is more than 2MB, while yours is just 1.36MB, and I can't install the stock Browser.apk into this ROM. I have tested my products on AVD and it's working fine, but on your Browser, it's displaying css3 not good enough (that was my client's requirement so I need to), so it will be very helpful if we can install the stock Browser.apk into this ROM.

I'm very appreciate your hard-working thepasto. If I freetime I will ask you on how to build myself a ROM.

Thanks again buddy.

Guest thepasto

- ADB not working. I currently don't have wifi so I can't test ADB Network, but if ADB network works, so I think I can ignore the problem with USB debugging.

It's a windows driver problem... We should find one working for our liquid

- LED indicators flash wrong. Email/SMS/Viber/Messager make the missed call flashed, and so do the messaging LED.

Adding all this apps with white notifications should solve your problem

- This is a bit faster than MIUI and CM7.2 (sometimes), but sometimes, it automatically reboot. I have 256MB of Swap, but I dont have any choice since CMRecovery only let me set Swap at max 256MB, is it due to the swap ?

Really don't know maybe some liquid a1 user can help you with swap

- Is the browser of this ROM taken from Google's source? I pull the Browser.apk from SDK and this file is more than 2MB, while yours is just 1.36MB, and I can't install the stock Browser.apk into this ROM. I have tested my products on AVD and it's working fine, but on your Browser, it's displaying css3 not good enough (that was my client's requirement so I need to), so it will be very helpful if we can install the stock Browser.apk into this ROM.

I compile this rom from cm9 repo.. Browser app doesn't need to be mod or patched so i think you just need to wait an update

I'm very appreciate your hard-working thepasto. If I freetime I will ask you on how to build myself a ROM.

Thanks again buddy.

Thanks for your report hope you can help us with your experience :D

Edited by thepasto

Guest Delnar_Ersike

Alright, I think I'm done tinkering with the ROM, here's what I've found (this is all on an A1 with 256MB swap):

• Besides the default Trebuchet launcher, there are two free launchers with ICS aesthetics on the Play Store: Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher. Of the two, Apex Launcher runs faster IMO and it has a built-in hard-to-kill option as well (it works, too!). I'd recommend immediately downloading Apex Launcher and removing the built-in Trebuchet launcher (via TitaniumBackup) as soon as possible for any A1 user.
  • Forcing GPU rendering does not affect performance in any way, at least according to my tests. The difference in benchmark scores (I used all three SmartBenches and NenaMark1) was minimal at best (<0.1%) and I did not see any difference when running proper apps (both benchmark and perceived performance was unaffected).
  • Chainfire3D's driver causes graphical artifacts and constant hard reboots, DO NOT INSTALL IT!
  • Your device will run noticeably slower for a few minutes after every boot. Be patient, let it "warm up" a bit, and it'll start running smoothly. I really have no explanation for this, other than the system moving a whole lot of stuff over to the swap partition after boot (reading and writing to SD swap is slower than reading and writing to RAM).
  • For some weird reason, AutoKiller settings will occasionally seem to reset after a reboot, but the program will freeze up the device and after another reboot, settings will go back to normal. That being said, AutoKiller settings do make a difference: set them to the Aggressive preset (or high performance gaming, or whatever) and make sure you have all 10 kernel tweaks turned on (that is, if you are using the AutoKiller Memory Optimizer app to set AutoKiller settings). Just remember to make your launcher hard-to-kill.
  • As I suspected from experience with previous ROMs, zRAM (or Compcache) is a bad idea: enabling it creates a significant drop in both benchmark and perceived performance. Though on paper, it should increase your available RAM, this does not translate into better performance in the real world; rather, because your RAM is compressed, any reads or writes to it will take longer. You should only enable zRAM if you don't have a large enough Swap partition and/or you plan on running an app with huge RAM requirements. Even if you do enable it, try to set it to the lowest possible setting: the higher the compression, the bigger the hit on speed.
  • IMO, Best CPU governor is SmartassV2. Lagfree comes close, but SmartassV2 doesn't have a "warm-up time". Only choose Scary if battery life is more important to you than performance (it delivers the same battery life as Conservative, but with a smidgen of better performance).
  • This ROM doesn't like you rebooting it while it's plugged into a PC. Might be a bug or something, but rebooting the device while plugged into a PC frequently caused the device to freeze soon after, while rebooting the device without plugging it in never did such a thing.
  • I could still mess around with Swappiness, but I've gotten tired, so here's what I've found out: setting it to around 50 caused noticeably slower performance, while setting it to around 10 caused certain background apps to die more easily. In the case of a foreground app that uses a lot of RAM, even the hard-to-kill launcher died when Swappiness was set to 10. I recommend people experiment on their own if they want to, but otherwise, set it somewhere between 25 and 35. Remember, too high swappiness causes general slowdown, while too low swappiness causes background apps to be killed faster, as well as increasing the possibility of a foreground app dying or a soft reboot happening.
  • Obvious tweaks I'll only mention without description because people have mentioned these before me: set your SD Readahead to at least 1024 (mine's at 2048), have a Swap partition of 256MB if you're on an A1, set touchscreen sensitivity to 25/50 (sensitivity/noise; this one only increases perceived performance, as it will increase apparent touchscreen responsiveness), enable custom SVS and set the values to the suggested ones (if you know what you're doing, you can mess around with the settings), make sure to set SVS to apply at boot, decrease animation scale in the developer options (will increase animation speed), set your launcher's minimum animation speeds to a setting that seems smooth, but still flashy (perceived performance). In the Performance options, disable Surface Dithering, enable 16bit transparency, check both boxes in Memory management (but leave zRam disabled!), and change your governor and your Maximum CPU frequency based on personal preference/experience (with the suggested custom SVS, the most frequent highest clock speed is, AFAIK, 1113 Mhz, but make sure to test it out before checking the Set at boot option).
  • One more thing: there are certain apps (like DSP Manager or Google Talk) that automatically run services, even if you aren't running the apps themselves. This means that as long as you have the app installed on your device, in most cases, its service will be running in the background along with other services (it's kind of complicated, to the point where even I don't understand it fully). Though in most cases, these barely affect overall performance, certain poorly written apps' services consume a noticeable amount of RAM and/or processing power, thereby slowing down your device simply by being installed. And there is a certain, very poorly coded (IMO) app out there that is also extremely popular, and I know from personal experience that uninstalling it will noticeably speed up your device. Go ahead, uninstall the Facebook app, you'll see what I mean...

TL;DR:

zRAM sucks, Swappiness between 25 and 35 is good, SmartassV2 is best CPU governor, avoid Chainfire3D, Force GPU Rendering does nothing, Apex Launcher is the best ICS launcher ATM, set the AutoKiller settings to Aggressive, don't reboot with your phone plugged into your PC, let your phone sit idly for a minute after a reboot, and uninstall the Facebook app if you have it.

@JustinChasez

If you're getting reboots, it's probably due to your Memory settings. Yes, you pretty much need a 256MB Swap if you're running on an A1, but check your Swappiness, your Memory management settings (disable zRAM if you have it enabled!), and your AutoKiller settings (if you have an app to check them; if you don't, I recommend AutoKiller Memory Optimizer). Though I did get some hard reboots when automatically restoring apps via TitaniumBackup Pro, I haven't had any since, and I've been using my device quite a bit.

Guest natostanco

zram would not suck if a1 wouldnt need swap, swappiness and smartass agree, force gpu should divert some power used by cpu on the gpu on some apps if I guessed correctly and it could be useful, I really don't suggest you use autokiller, especially the memory management, an the A1 they are set on 0/0/0/0 to exploit swap at best, if you rise them it won't work so well and may be broken, maybe from autokiller you could use some other tweaks but some are already present in the liquid app.

I have tried another time v6 script supercharger and it works well, adding everything but OOM fixes