[ROM] Styx (CM6; updated 2012 05 25)

Guest twrock

Guest twrock

Styx (CyanogenMod 6.x Froyo)

[This is the final version of this rom from me. I no longer have a working U8220, so I can't test any further modifications. That being said, it was the rom I was using up until my U8220 broke in January 2013, and it was working very well for me then.]

This rom contains the basic CM6.x apps and includes a very basic set of Google apps. Some of the stock apps have been replaced with alternatives and some have been deleted. Including DT Apps2SD, this rom requires a /system partition of over 90mb.

Changelog: See the second post for the changelog.

Thanks: First, a huge thanks to dr.flo, Pier11, and all the other contributors for the real work in bringing us a great Froyo/CyanogenMod rom. The credit is all theirs. (I just do the easy stuff.) Also, the developers of the apps I chose to pre-install should be thanked for providing great free software. Please support them by donation or by purchasing their "pro" versions.

Known problems/bugs:

• The MAC address is not correct, but can be fixed. See the second post for the fix.
  • Both cameras work. However, you will need to set up GScriptLite (included in the rom) in order to switch between the two. See the second post for details on how to do this.
  • There is a bug where sometimes there is no sound though the phone speaker upon answering a call. The person on the other end can hear you fine, but you hear nothing. It is an inconsistent bug, but a temporary solution is to quickly click on the volume down button, and this seems to restore the sound. You can then click the volume back up.
  • Starting with version 20120407, the button lights will not work. This is part of the kernel, and I can't change that. However, if you do not care about ipv6 support and ext3/4 support, you can download the older boot.img below and have the lights back. (I personally don't need the lights, and it might save a little power to have them disabled.)
  • There is a bug with Simplified Chinese language setting. (This bug does not affect Traditional Chinese.) I don't know why or what to do about it. Until a solution is found, I can not recommend people who need Simplified Chinese use this rom. Sorry.

This is a beta rom, so there might be other bugs that come to light. Please report any problems you experience. I probably can't fix it, but there are some really smart guys around here who maybe can. wink.gif

Pre-installation requirements. (This is important, so read all of this!)
    (For a more complete "how-to" on the points below please refer to The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide.)
    • This ROM has been created for the Huawei U8220/U8230.
    • U8220/Pulse users who are installing the Styx rom must first update to a Huawei official update with a large enough /system partition. I recommend the TRE update but you can also use the UK update from back in 2010, the CHT8000 update, or the Hungarian update.
    • U8230 and U8220-6 users should not flash the official U8220 updates mentioned above; install this rom over your original U8230 or U8220-6 2.1 rom.
    • You must have Clockwork Recovery installed (not AmonRA) in order to install this rom. Incidentally, I'm using CW Recovery 2.5.0.7; apparently, CW Recovery v.3.0.0.5 does not work correctly. Later versions of CW Recovery might work, but I haven't tested any.
    • In order for DT Apps2SD and swap to work properly, you must format your SD card properly before you install this rom. (I have a 8gb class 10 card with 256mb ext2 partition for a2sd and a 32mb Linux swap partition; the rest formatted to fat32.) However, the rom will work fine without doing that, you just won't have that added functionality. You can enable the built-in app moving if you prefer not to use DT Apps2SD.

Download links:

(the rom build 2012 05 25a; primarily an update for newer apps and minor build.prop changes)

(this is an optional older boot.img, which has support for the button lights, but lacks support for ipv6 and ext3/4; this was the boot.img in all versions prior to the 2012 04 07 build; flash after the rom)

(Dark Tremor Apps2SD can be flashed immediately after the full rom if you wish)

(beta; flash any time after you have flashed the rom)

(HanvonCalla handwriting IME and two Chinese language packs for TouchPal; flashable zip can be flashed at any time; all files are installed to /system, so make sure you have enough space; this will likely
    not
    fit in the official UK 2010 rom partitions)

(Chinese handwriting IME only; flashable zip that installs to /system)

(Traditional and Simplified Chinese language packs; unzip the files, copy to SD card, and install as other apps; this is
    not
    a flashable zip)

Basic installation steps:

[*]Copy the "Styx*.zip" file to your SD card.

[*]Reboot into Clockwork Recovery (2.5.0.7) by holding down the red end call and menu buttons and pushing the power button.

[*]"nandroid" then "Backup" (if you skip this step, and you might live to regret it)

[*]"wipe data/factory reset" and "Yes -- delete all user data"

[*]"install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "Styx*.zip" and "Yes - Install Styx*.zip"

[*][optional step, but highly recommended] "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "dtapp2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip" and "Yes - Install dtapp2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip"

[*]"reboot system now"

Enjoy, and give feedback please.

Edited by twrock

Guest twrock

Fixes:

MAC Address bug fix:
(thanks dr.flo)

In the
.32 kernel versions
, after installing the rom open Terminal Emulator app, type "su" to enter superuser mode, then type this line of code:

echo 1a:2b:3c:4d:5e:6f > /data/misc/wifi/softmac

but use your own MAC address
instead of what you see here.
Reboot
. (A full description of this fix is in post #7 below by dr.flo.)

[
If you choose to install the older
.29 kernel version
, you can fix this problem by downloading the Set MAC Address app from the Market and run it once. You will find your correct MAC address under the battery. You can delete the app after using it once; the setting survives a reboot.
]

Camera switching hack:
(thanks dr.flo)

GScript Lite is included in the rom, along with the "camswitch" script. But you must set it up to use it. Open GSript Lite, click your Menu button, tap on Add, then set up the next screen to look like this:

post-596158-0-54002800-1331389196_thumb.

Tap on Save and then exit to your Launcher screen. Finally, add a GScript Widget for CamSwitch on one of Launcher screens if you wish. Each time you tap on that Widget, the script will switch back and forth between the front and back cameras. Otherwise, you can run camswitch by opening GScript Lite.

Lost SMS messages:

This bug is not specific to this rom; it happens with many Android roms. There are two "recommended" fixes to this problem. First, in Settings>CyanogenMod settings>Performance settings, you can check "Lock messaging appp in memory". Some people have suggested that doesn't always solve the problem, and others have suggested that it is a waste of precious RAM. So the second possibility is to install an app called "Ghostly SMS". (This is my current solution.) Ghostly SMS is not a replacement for your SMS app. It works alongside to make sure SMS messages actually get delivered to your SMS app. I highly recommend you give a "donation" so that you can take advantages of the automation provided by the "Delayed notification" settings. IMHO, it is worth it.

CPU stabilization, battery savings, and screen orientation issues:

I have found that turning off screen rotation (orientation) make a significant improvement on CPU stabilization (the CPU will spend more time just sitting at 245 MHz, instead of jumping around continuously between CPU speeds). I believe this is part of what makes this rom have such good battery life (but not the only reason). So if you don't need to have the screen rotate all the time, I suggest you turn off that feature until you need it. Additionally, but turning off 180 and 270 degrees rotation in Cyanogenmod Settings, and by holding my phone in portrait orientation while booting, I do not experience the stuck screen orientation bug. YMMV, but that all works for me.

Changelog:

2012 05 25: Styx-620; updated Google Play Store, Terminal Emulator, QuickPic; modified the CamSwitch script wording; added to build.prop: ro.config.vc_call_steps=20 (volume stepping more gradual), ro.ril.enable.amr.wideband=1 (might improve in-call sound)

2012 04 07: Styx-620; changed the boot.img to latest Pier .32 kernel version with support for ipv6 and ext3/4, and modified to 528mhz default and 200000 sampling_rate; changed default wallpaper; updated Gmail

2012 04 02: Styx-620 minor update; updated GoogleSearch, added VoiceSearch, and changed default network to WCDMA.

2012 04 01: first release of Styx based on dr.flo's CM6.2.0-RC0 port; in addition to including the previous bug fixes and apps, this version has an updated set of Google apps and support files pulled from the Pier's UM840 stock rom; it seems this solves the missing Market apps problem.

2012 03 09: replaced android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml with a single touch file, and replaced libril.so with the version from CM7.2

2012 03 08: updated .32 kernel version to include dr.flo's MAC address bug fix.

Old versions:

(2012 04 07)

(2012 04 02)

(
CM 6.2.0
; 2012 04 01)

(
CM 6.1.1
; 2012 03 09c)

(
CM 6.1.1
; 2012 03 08c)

(
CM 6.1.1
Stable 2012 02 26)
Edited by twrock

Guest jace7

Hi Twrock , been using Styx .29 for over a week now , seems very stable - no FC's so far . Battery life is great , even better than your FTB rom . Only problem I have experienced is the no volume on a call and had to reboot , but that has only happened once . Dunno if this only occurs when you swipe the screen to answer the call , so have been alternating between that and pressing the green button to answer , but as yet the problem has not re-occured . Small price to pay for such a great Rom , keep up the fantastic work .

Guest dr.flo

For wifi mac with kernel .32:

You can use attached libhardware_legacy.so to replace the original one. It will pass an additional parameter "softmac_file=/data/misc/wifi/softmac" to the wifi driver.

Using this, the mac address can be set by

echo 01:23:45:67:89:01 > /data/misc/wifi/softmac

via terminal emulator or adb. Then reboot. Should give you a new mac address. Of course you should replace 01:23... with whatever you desire.

libhardware_legacy.zip

edit: further info: the file is for cm6. It was recompiled with

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG := "softmac_file=/data/misc/wifi/softmac"

in board config. The same could be done for cm7 if needed.

If no softmac file is found, wifi still works, but it has the usual default mac of course.

Edited by dr.flo

For wifi mac with kernel .32:

You can use attached libhardware_legacy.so to replace the original one. It will pass an additional parameter "softmac_file=/data/misc/wifi/softmac" to the wifi driver.

Using this, the mac address can be set by

echo 01:23:45:67:89:01 > /data/misc/wifi/softmac

via terminal emulator or adb. Then reboot. Should give you a new mac address. Of course you should replace 01:23... with whatever you desire.

libhardware_legacy.zip

edit: further info: the file is for cm6. It was recompiled with

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG := "softmac_file=/data/misc/wifi/softmac"

in board config. The same could be done for cm7 if needed.

If no softmac file is found, wifi still works, but it has the usual default mac of course.

It's work for the stock froyo rom too?

Guest dr.flo

It's work for the stock froyo rom too?

the um840 port you mean?

Most likely yes (as far as I know, the port uses cm6 libhardware_legacy, so it could be replaced by this one) - try it!

the um840 port you mean?

Most likely yes (as far as I know, the port uses cm6 libhardware_legacy, so it could be replaced by this one) - try it!

Yes, the um840 port.

It works on it.

Thanks dr.flo :)

Guest sun lbx

The .32 one is the fastest ROM of all I ever seen. No Gingerbread is nearly as smooth as this.

The little disappointing thing is that the phone doesn't recognise itself having a single-touch screen. It thinks it's dualtouch, but we don't have dualtouch.

So the +/- don't appear in some apps making them less usable.

But still, the rom is sweet :)

Thanks a lot!

Guest twrock

The .32 one is the fastest ROM of all I ever seen. No Gingerbread is nearly as smooth as this.

The little disappointing thing is that the phone doesn't recognise itself having a single-touch screen. It thinks it's dualtouch, but we don't have dualtouch.

So the +/- don't appear in some apps making them less usable.

But still, the rom is sweet :)

Thanks a lot!

Interesting. I had not noticed this. That is a disappointment. I'll try to look into this, but don't hold your breath.

Any ideas of what we can do about this?

Guest dr.flo

Interesting. I had not noticed this. That is a disappointment. I'll try to look into this, but don't hold your breath.

First idea would be to verify if the same happens on

- cm72 with .32

- um840 port with .32

- ideos x3 port with .32

I remember having seen the + / - control on at least ideos rom.

I think we need more description: How to reproduce the non-showing zoom control.... And then check with kernel .29 in the exact same situation. (Or on one of the above mentioned other roms). I'm uncertain if this is really kenel related. I don't think that kernel includes any dual touch stuff.

Guest sun lbx

To my great disappointment I don't even know...

In our cm7 2.6.32k it's ok though.

Still tryin to google about it at the moment

Guest twrock

- cm72 with .32

- um840 port with .32

- ideos x3 port with .32

I think we need more description: How to reproduce the non-showing zoom control.... And then check with kernel .29 in the exact same situation. (Or on one of the above mentioned other roms). I'm uncertain if this is really kenel related. I don't think that kernel includes any dual touch stuff.

Maybe it was even something I did. I'll at least start with a backup I have of this .29 rom.

On another note though, I can't seem to get your Mac address fix to work. The softmac file is 18bytes, but when I try to look at it with a text editor, there is nothing there. When I use Set MAC Address just to see what it says the Mac address it, it is not what I tried to set. Any ideas? How do I check to see if it does anything?

Guest dr.flo

On another note though, I can't seem to get your Mac address fix to work. The softmac file is 18bytes, but when I try to look at it with a text editor, there is nothing there. When I use Set MAC Address just to see what it says the Mac address it, it is not what I tried to set. Any ideas? How do I check to see if it does anything?

mac thing worked on my clean install, I tested it. rhen could confirm it works on um840 also.

try "cat /data/misc/wifi/softmac" in terminal to see the contents of the softmac file, perhaps there is a typo.

SetMacAddress will read the address from caldata* in wifi directory. The default mac is contained there. But the new wifi driver does not like these files being patched. SetMacAddress does not show the "real" mac, it just shows what's in caldata. A softmac file overrides this. But only if you replaced libhardware_legacy.so.

edit: if you previously had used setmacaddress on that install, you also need to revert caldata*.

This is expected to work with kernel .32 and the new wifi driver. It might also work with .29 and corresponding driver, but that's just a guess.

Settings -> about phone -> status (or similar) should show the mac address that's really in use..(wifi has to be on for this to show)

Edited by dr.flo

- cm72 with .32

- um840 port with .32

- ideos x3 port with .32

Dont take my information to serious, but in cm72 with .32, i remember that most of the time mini dolphin browser didn't show the +/-

About mac address, now i'm with Styx .32, i have change sucessfely the mac, it's shows the correct mac, but when i enable wifi, it disable automacaly few seconds before. But this can be my mistake, i will test again with more time and give feedback. Sorry!

Guest twrock

mac thing worked on my clean install, I tested it. rhen could confirm it works on um840 also.

try "cat /data/misc/wifi/softmac" in terminal to see the contents of the softmac file, perhaps there is a typo.

SetMacAddress will read the address from caldata* in wifi directory. The default mac is contained there. But the new wifi driver does not like these files being patched. SetMacAddress does not show the "real" mac, it just shows what's in caldata. A softmac file overrides this. But only if you replaced libhardware_legacy.so.

edit: if you previously had used setmacaddress on that install, you also need to revert caldata*.

This is expected to work with kernel .32 and the new wifi driver. It might also work with .29 and corresponding driver, but that's just a guess.

Settings -> about phone -> status (or similar) should show the mac address that's really in use..(wifi has to be on for this to show)

Yes, all is fine. Thanks.

For some reason I can not see anything when I open the softmac file with the text viewer of RootExplorer. But that Terminal command shows it is correct.

Guest andylau1988

Yes, all is fine. Thanks.

For some reason I can not see anything when I open the softmac file with the text viewer of RootExplorer. But that Terminal command shows it is correct.

I am a Chinese, this firmware is great!But there is a problem, set the language toSimplified Chinese, you can not adjust the date, but can not enter the desktop after reboot!

Guest andylau1988

I am a Chinese, this firmware is great!But there is a problem, set the language to Simplified Chinese, you can not adjust the date, but can not enter the desktop after reboot!

Guest twrock

Hi Twrock , been using Styx .29 for over a week now , seems very stable - no FC's so far . Battery life is great , even better than your FTB rom . Only problem I have experienced is the no volume on a call and had to reboot , but that has only happened once . Dunno if this only occurs when you swipe the screen to answer the call , so have been alternating between that and pressing the green button to answer , but as yet the problem has not re-occured . Small price to pay for such a great Rom , keep up the fantastic work .

That no sound on a call bug is annoying. I haven't found a pattern either.

Since starting to use the .32 version, it hasn't happened. But I've only been using it for 2.5 days, and I keep rebuilding it.

But again, credit where it is due: dr.flo and Pier11 are the real brains behind this rom. I just do the easy stuff.

Guest ChinaT

楼主你好,相信你能看得懂简体。我刷了你的32核心的rom,卡在开机设置的最后一屏。

我尝试删除setupwizard.apk,能进入桌面了,但是进不了 设置的时间和日期 设置。重启后,卡在android画面。

坛子中其他用户也是这样。不过有人说,在设置的时候,语言选择繁体,或者刷机时不插入sim卡(英文),这时候使用正常。

Edited by ChinaT

Guest sun lbx

I flashed the latest cm7 just to check it again.

For example, in Opera browser & in EA Worms there ARE "+" & "-" on the screen.

In this cm6 there are no. The rom rules really but for this small issue :)

About mac address, now i'm with Styx .32, i have change sucessfely the mac, it's shows the correct mac, but when i enable wifi, it disable automacaly few seconds before. But this can be my mistake, i will test again with more time and give feedback. Sorry!

Yes this was my fault, the wifi automatically turns off because i restore my wi-fi access points with titanium backup and probably they ware build in cm7, i remember to read that this could create problems, now i know what is the problem.

The fix for mac address is working fine. Sorry for my mistake.

Guest twrock

I am a Chinese, this firmware is great!But there is a problem, set the language to Simplified Chinese, you can not adjust the date, but can not enter the desktop after reboot!

I'm a bit confused about what you are saying your problem is.

I can tell you that I have no trouble changing language to Chinese Simplified or Chinese Traditional.

I changed the language to Chinese and rebooted the phone, and everything is fine still.

Sorry. Maybe I don't understand the problem.