[ROM] Performance Rom 4.3b *Play Store Fixed* Must Apply Patch After Setting Up Play

Guest Pinguy

Guest Pinguy

• This ROM is built from 4.000.13_EMEA_GEN1 (so make sure Gingerbread is installed before flashing) and using TechnoLover's Kernel Edition 1.3a. (don't be shy to buy him a beer for all the hard work he has done. Without his Kernel this ROM wouldn't be possible.)
  • To install the ROM use this version of CWM. If you don't know how to install a custom ROM or CWM read this guide.
  • Please read the whole post before posting problems. I cover everything you need to know to get the most out of this ROM and how to fix common problems. If you ask something that I cover in this post I will not reply.

The Vanilla version looks the same as the stock ROM so there is no point putting up screen shots of it. I have removed all the Acer apps/bloat (but kept Breeze UI) and updated all the system apps and replaced or updated a few system files (Google Play is installed instead of Android Market and Adreno 205 drivers have been updated etc.) Also added a few system management tools. I have also removed the default email app as most people will just use Gmail. If you need it you can grab it from here. But there are much better email apps that you could use like K-9 Mail or ExMail.

If for any reason you need an app that was removed (Acer Media Player, DLNA client etc.) here is a zip with all the default system apps including the older version of the apps that got updated.

Tools & Apps Included
    • links2sd (not included in AD2SDX version) So you can store your apps onto the SD card. I recommend setting this up the minute you boot into the ROM and change the settings so it automatically places apps to the SD Card. The Acer Liquid Metal works with EXT4 thanks to TechnoLover's Kernel so I would use that on the seconded partition.

If you have no clue what I am on about with EXT4 and partitioning use CWM to set it up for you (doing this will wipe the SD card so back it up). Hold down the Focus button and +Vol while powering on the Phone (the focus button is holding down slightly on the camera button). Once in CWM go to: Advance > Partiton SD Card and use about 512 (you could set this to 1024 but I really do doubt you will ever fill that as internal memory does still get used even with using links2sd, and the internal memory will be full before you fill 1024 ) and swap to 0.
      When links2sd asks you what your seconded partition is formatted as it will be EXT3.

If you have a Class 10 SD Card on the other hand you may want to use the AD2SDX version. It will give you a lot more internal memory to install apps onto then Links2SD but you don't have any control on where to store the apps as it will automatically place the apps onto the SD-EXT. To use just make a second partition at the end of your SD of 2GB (anything between 512MB to 2GB is fine) as ext4. It must be ext4 so you won't be able to use CWM to do the partitioning for you as it uses ext3. You will need to use GParted Live CD (or MiniTool Partition Wizard for Windows) to format and partition your SD card to ext4 (lots of guides online on how to use both programs).

MiniTool Guide

Gparted Guide

Remember you want to select EXT4 and you do not need a swap partition.

This is what you want to make your SD Card look like:

devsddgparted153.png

I Would also install SD Maid if you decide to use the AD2SDX version as there is no way of telling how much internal memory is being used (but don't use it to clean the system as this can break apps). When the internal memory is full the phone will start having issues. So keep an eye on it. Remember using this you can still move apps to the SD as you would normally. App2SD is installed on the AD2SDX version and is a good way of doing batch moves, it also tells you which apps are safe to move and which ones aren't.

• No-frills CPU I don't get why CPU managers have got so many features now. You only need it to set the frequency. For that I found this is one of the best.
      • File Expert The default ROM doesn't come with a file browser. This is my fav. If you have one you like more you can remove this with links2sd (links2sd can remove any of the system apps so if there is one installed you don't want, use this to remove it. Just make sure USB debugging is turned on. You may also have to reboot the phone after removing an app. For the AD2SDX version you can use Root Uninstall).
      • Camera ICS has replaced the default Camera as the one it comes with really isn't that good (it may crash the first time you open it, but after that it will be fine).
      • ICS Keyboard. Its just nicer to use then the gingerbread one.
      • JuiceDefender added to help with battery usages.

Stored In Data
        • IVONA Text-to-Speech HQ. Much better then the
          type voice that Android default voice uses. You will need to download the voice files but everything you need is in the ROM.
        • Speaktoit. Gives you the same functions as Siri for the iPhone.

Installed Only On The AD2SDX Version

• Root Uninstall. So you can easily remove system apps.
          • App2SD. Program to do batch move of apps and tells you which apps are safe to move.

Speed & Benchmarks

The main thing I have done with the ROM apart from remove apps and add system ones is greatly improve its speed. This is mainly done by using TechnoLover's Kernel but I have also done a few other things to the ROM to improve the performance even more, like changing VM size, optimizing the GPU drivers and database plus many other little tweaks to get the most out of the device.

As this is called the "Performance Rom" I thought I better share some benchmarks. This is using fresh install of Vanilla Version - Links2SD V4.3 set to the highest settings (only drocap2 and Quadrant was added) . As you can see there is a fair bit of improvement from the first release of the ROM.

wpUqw.png YtuCJ.png

By default the CPU is clocked at 1GHz but can go as high as 1.6GHz if you set the Voltage high enough (but will drain your battery pretty quickly). The GPU can be over clocked to 384MHz using MT Control but I found that it caused graphical tearing set to that, so the highest I would set it to is 368MHz.

Other Changes

[*]Added the ICS GenuineWidget.

[*]Installed the Google Talk with Video chat.

[*]Sip/Internet Calling over WIFi or 3G.

[*]Fully Multi-Lingual. Has the same amount of languages as Cyanogen, but Settings.apk hasn't been fully translated yet.

[*]Adreno 205 drivers have been updated.

[*]Beats Audio added, I have noticed that sometimes when I flashed the ROM Beats Audio wasn't working. If this happens when you flash the ROM you can fix it by flashing the BeatsAudiob0314.zip I have attached. (to get the most out of Beats Audio turn on Dolby Mobile in settings and choose Auto under Music EQ and reboot the phone).

[*]aGPS installed for improved GPS so you can lock onto more satellites.

[*]

improves video processing.

[*]V6 SuperCharger fixes many of the Android memory problems and speeds up the phone.

[*]Kick Ass Kernelizer

[*]3G TurboCharger

[*]Auto-zipalign and defragdb on boot

[*]Cleans up Cache and redundant files on boot.

[*]Auto Calibration on boot.

[*]The Phone is now identified as a HTC Desire S, this is so you can install Gameloft games like Modern Combat 3.

[*]Play Store unlocked. 99% of all the games that are on the Play Store will now show up so you can install them like Dead Space.

[*]There is a CWM Zip placed on the SD that is call Remove_Breeze_UI.zip that will completely remove the Acer Breeze UI and replace it with the Gingerbread AOSP interface.

[*]Plus many improvements taken from this thread.

BeatsAudiob0314.zip

Credits

[*]Big thanks to Redflake that did the theme for the ICS version.

[*]jiego that helped with the Update script.

[*]TechnoLover that made this whole ROM possible thanks to his awesome kernel.

Known Bugs & Common Problems

[*]"Gmail keeps crashing". If this happens go to Manage apps then find Gmail, select it and click on Clear data. Once you have done that it won't happen again (you will need to set up gmail again). This method will also fix any other programs that are misbehaving.

[*]"Using Speaktoit to set an alarm makes the Acer Clock widget crash." Its a bug with Speaktoit. Hopefully an update to the app will fix that.

[*]"The home button isn't working". Make sure you do a wipe before installing.

[*]"I get write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot") error when trying to install". Make sure you have Gingerbread installed and not Froyo.

[*]"Its stuck at booting". The first boot takes ages so give it at least 5 minutes. The second boot will be faster.

Before installing do a nandroid backup.

Install Guide

Step 1: Follw this guide and install Gingerbread if you haven't already got it installed. When is talks about installing CWM use this version.

Step 2: Partiton the SD Card as shown at the beginning of this post.

Step 3: Decide what version you want to install and flash it using CWM.

Step 4: Boot into the phone giving it at least 5 minutes boot. Pick you language and time zone.

Step 5: Setup wifi and log into the Play Store and type Gameloft. If you can see games like Six-Guns and Moden Combat everything is working fine.

Step 6: *You Must Do This To Fix Notifications*, Boot into recovery and flash Fix_Bubble_Notifications.zip patch that will be placed on the root of your SD card to fix issues with the camera and notifications.

PerformanceRomV4.3b - Vanilla

Ideal to build your own ROM from or if you like the look of the default Acer Breeze.

PerformanceRomV4.3b - Blue ICS Themed

This one is using a slightly modified version of the HC bat new statusbar theme that Redflake Made. All I have done is added some 3D transitions to the theme.

This ROM is the same as the vanilla one apart from the new theme and added transitions. I have also added a live wallpaper and some ICS themed widgets.

Oi9gM.pngUfnOZ.png3YtYQ.png kOlHt.png

Everything you see in those screen shots can be done once the ROM is installed. The two widgets in use are called Custom ICS Search and Glass Widgets, and the live wallpaper is called Mood ICS.

DOWNLOAD - Blue ICS Themed Version - Links2SD

MD5: b834961428952de0571f2212081a0cd2

Mirrors

http://www.mediafire...we52iby3et83zkt

DOWNLOAD - Blue ICS Themed Version - AD2SDX

MD5: 89c078c7deb384bd9601ca4a7136384e

Mirrors

http://www.mediafire...0c5a9bu69swrx9v

Once Installed please share your benchmarks (Would be nice to see what sort of performance other people are getting running the ROM)

If anyone wants to build a ROM from this feel free to do so. You don't need to ask me beforehand.

EDIT#

Blue MiuiMusicV3 Player

post-970248-0-90881200-1332104241_thumb.

post-970248-0-33435500-1332104274_thumb.

Download

Same as the player in the Blue ICS ROM.

ICS-Style Telephone

phonewsw.png

Flash this.

ICS-Style_Telephone.zip

Default_Telephone.zip

EDIT#

I keep getting asked about this so lets clear it up. ICS-Style_Telephone.zip is the only file you need to install to get the theme. The other one is so you can return back to the stock Telephone app if you don't like the ICS-Style one.

Edited by Pinguy

Guest Pinguy

This ROM is compatible with technolover's script AD2SDX?

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

Thanks

It should be, the rom hasn't been changed that much from the stock. But links2sd is installed and I find that works better.

Edited by Pinguy

Guest chemicalbuz

i modified it another bit, just erase some apps and replaced with others,i.e. go launcher instead of acer's one, than put all apps as system app...nice speed, but it restarts 2 times, maybe voltages, i'll check them and tell you more about that... in neocore 53.5 fps

post-908006-0-84645500-1331856087_thumb.

EDIT: i got 4208 with last benchmark, and 28.4 fps in nenamark2, restarting problems were caused from too low voltages so now no problem

Edited by chemicalbuz

Guest Pinguy

i modified it another bit, just erase some apps and replaced with others,i.e. go launcher instead of acer's one, than put all apps as system app...nice speed, but it restarts 2 times, maybe voltages, i'll check them and tell you more about that... in neocore 53.5 fps

post-908006-0-84645500-1331856087_thumb.

EDIT: i got 4208 with last benchmark, and 28.4 fps in nenamark2, restarting problems were caused from too low voltages so now no problem

Cool to hear :P Also thanks for sharing your benchmarks.

why "V6SuperCharger" not work?

V6SuperCharger may not be compatible with the latest BusyBox.

Guest Pinguy

How is the battery drain? Any idea?

I have been using stock ROM with Technolover's OC kernel.

Its not that bad set to 1.2GHz with smartassV2 Governor. Also using JuiceDefender really does help. With fairly light usages I get 2 days. But I can get just over 16hrs with pretty heavy usages (playing games, listening to music, watching videos and surfing ect.)

Next Month I will be getting the Mugen Power 1800mAh so it lasts a bit longer. At £22.62 it seems like a good investment.

If you haven't done it yet there is a few things you should do to get the most out of your battery. To start out with run the battery down till your phone powers off. Then turn it back on and run it hard until it shuts down again. Next charge it for a full 8hrs but no longer. Discharge it again till the phone fails and charge for another 8hrs. Once you have done that run BatteryCalibration (or use CWM under Advance to remove the battery info) and run it till the battery dies. After that the battery will be working the best that it can and you can use it as normal. Just remember when charging never leave it on longer then 8hrs.

If you need some apps to help drain the battery, Brightest Flashlight & Battery Drainer will help.

Edited by Pinguy

Guest vikings123

Its not that bad set to 1.2GHz with smartassV2 Governor. Also using JuiceDefender really does help. With fairly light usages I get 2 days. But I can get just over 16hrs with pretty heavy usages (playing games, listening to music, watching videos and surfing ect.)

I just flashed it and was impressed by its performance, though Quadrant score is lower than stock ROM (both with Technolover OC kernel).

Guest Pinguy

Found a bug in the themed one where the Wifi kept cutting out. I have now fixed it and re-made the ROM and uploaded it. To tell if you are running the fixed version there will be an app called SD-Booster that was not in the damaged ROM.

Guest Redflake

Great rom.

Fast and solid, using v1 as I prefer the apps to v2.

Made a new theme for it based on T & L plus a few bits added by myself.

Custom boot animation.

Custom status bar with percentage battery.

Settings with colour icons.

Green overscroll glow.

ETC.

Performance rom mod

bootanim31.jpg

shot_000002.jpg

shot_000006.jpg

shot_000007.jpg

If you fancy using A2SdGUI instead of Links2sd then install the following scripts with Clockworkmod then install A2sdGui from the market.

Install on clean install of rom or before you have used links2sd.

A2SD Scripts

Guest vikings123

Benchmark done with a fresh install of PerformanceRom_signed-t_l_metal_blue_theme.zip set to max.

post-970248-0-90708200-1332086882_thumb.

I am kind of curious about the Q score. Stock ROM gave me a Q score over 2000, with TL OC kernel.

With this ROM, I got only 16xx, the same TL OC kernel and setting. Why is that?

==============================

Sorry guys.

Now I understand what's the difference between getting 40's and 50's. Once you are 50's, your memory gets confused.

Apparently, my memory was confused when I said I got 2000 Q score. I checked and found out that I got 15xx.

post-675858-0-64859800-1332142319_thumb.

Edited by vikings123

Guest Pinguy

Great rom.

Fast and solid, using v1 as I prefer the apps to v2.

Made a new theme for it based on T & L plus a few bits added by myself.

Custom boot animation.

Custom status bar with percentage battery.

Settings with colour icons.

Green overscroll glow.

ETC.

Performance rom mod

bootanim31.jpg

shot_000002.jpg

shot_000006.jpg

shot_000007.jpg

If you fancy using A2SdGUI instead of Links2sd then install the following scripts with Clockworkmod then install A2sdGui from the market.

Install on clean install of rom or before you have used links2sd.

A2SD Scripts

That looks pretty cool :) But I am a fan of blue themes :P

I am kind of curious about the Q score. Stock ROM gave me a Q score over 2000, with TL OC kernel.

With this ROM, I got only 16xx, the same TL OC kernel and setting. Why is that?

You must have a really good model. I was lucky to get over 1200 for the 3D test on just the stock rom and TL OC kernel.

Edited by Pinguy

Guest franzo87

for me blue theme on rom stock don't work, boot stops to boot animation... fortunately I've done a nandroid just before :)

while green theme works fine and it's great!! =)

Edited by franzo87

Guest vidalix

same problem... same solution!!!

can you fix it?sad.gif

solved!!! you must flash the green for first and then you can flash the ics one!!!wink.gif

Edited by vidalix