What will be your next Android phone and why?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm Interested to hear what is going to be everyone's 'next Android phone' and why!

In the spirit of sharing, mine is almost certainly going to be the HTC One X. I've posted my top 10 reasons why...

• The screen blows my mind - the 720P SLCD2 panel is fantastic.

• I like the polycarbonate construction and the design, and it's available in white.

• It has 32GB internal storage. 16GB on the Galaxy Nexus definitely isn't enough for me.

• I like the prospect of HTC's new ImageSense chip. From my Sanyo Xacti I know that taking high res stills while recording video is really useful! The sensor sounds decent too.

• I want my next phone to have Bluetooth 4.0 LE for lower power bluetooth accessories.

• I want my next phone to have AptX lossless Bluetooth audio.

• I quite like Sense.

• It will have an unlockable bootloader at launch.

• The Media Link HD stuff looks interesting - different content on TV and device could make for some very interesting games etc.

• My last 2 devices have been Samsungs, and the Galaxy S III will no doubt be fantastic, but using a HTC device I feel 'at home'. :)

...i'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest 3shirts

I was very tempted but the One X but decided to go for the Xperia S. I don't regret it and for me the only downside is the lack of ICS but it's only weeks away.

Sony have done a cracking job with it and aside from a few too many junk apps (nothing that root and titanium can't deal with), their interface is excellent.

Guest Owen O Byrne

Completely with you on this one Paul! Have to wait til November for my contract to finish though! :-( Oh well - my rooted ICS Sensation will have to do til then.

Owen

Guest Zarch1972

I'm not sure what its going to be, but I have a much smaller wish list than Paul. :P

I used to own a HTC Desire and upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus so a LED Notification light is a must. (I think i'd have been a SGS2 owner if it had one)

Camera has to be top notch, (The GN unfortunately isn't) and a dedicated shutter button would be nice.

Battery Life (everyone's holy grail. I like the idea from Motorola making the device a few mm thicker and upping the battery)

I'm actually not convinced by the large 4.65" screen of the GN. I use the phone one handed and I just can't get to everything on the screen with my thumb. Maybe somewhere between 4.0" and 4.3" would suit me better?

I assumed (wrongly) that the GN would be my "forever" phone...... it just doesn't work out like that does it? If it had a better camera, then i'd probably keep it. But i'm especially interested in what the SGS3 brings to the table. (but please remember the LED notification Samsung) :D

I've got review unit of Sony Xperia S yesterday. Its display crispness is insane, however viewing angles are lacking (same thing was with Arc S, actually). Then design-wise it's beautiful, but ergonomics aren't great - looking at you awkwardly positioned power button and tiny dots below screen! Finally, the camera - a slight disappointment for me, as the amount of noise in photos is awful.

So, after less than a day with Xperia S so far I have a bit mixed feelings - it has potential to become my next perfect Android device but these little nagging things are keeping my breath held until One X is out...

Guest 3shirts

Good point Zarch. I really missed the notification on my Nexus S. CM had a great bodge to use the capacitive button illumination for notifications but it's hardly the same. Now I have Xperia S I realised just how useful such a small thing is!

Guest Chandalf

I'm tempted by the ASUS Padfone. Not as well speced as the Samsungs or HTCs but I have a TF101 and the prospect of carrying less gear around does appeal.

Guest echolock

I do know that my next Android won't be a Nexus, after the hassle the Nexus S owners seem to have been put through. I quite liked my Nexus One but since most handsets nowadays seem to be getting CyanogenMod anyway I figure I might as well just pick the hardware I like that can be flashable with a custom firmware and use that.

That said I'm not going to go for the superphones - to be honest I care little about how many cores the phone has, or even how much internal memory - I tend to use Spotify so don't store much music, and never really watch videos. It would have to have a 4" screen I think, and of course an unlockable bootloader. With my requirements the mid-range is now at that sweet price/performance spot - at the moment I'm looking at the Sony Arc S although I might also look at one of the newer HTCs, or even a Galaxy S II as they've become much cheaper lately.

Guest jonmall1441

I have no idea at the moment. I like the HTC One X but feel that 4.7" may be to big. I currently own the Vintage Desire and the jump in size may put me off. I like the HTC One S but the qHD pentile AMOLED screen and no NFC are a major downer. I like the Sony Xperia S too but it has a non removable sub 2,500 mAh battery and no Micro SD card support (like the previous 2 I mentioned). If I use data on my desire throughout the day (from 7am) I can barley make it to 4pm.

The phone specs I am waiting for:

4.0-4.5" 720p display SLCD2 or Super AMOLED HD PLUS

16GB-32GB of on board storage with micro SD Card slot (just got a 32GB class10 and I want to use it :P )

1GB Ram or more

Tegra 3/Snapdragon S4 (x2) / Exynos 4412 (x4) or 5250 (x2)

Removable battery or bigger than 2,500 mAh

ICS - preferably stock but I don't mind a skin as long as it's not bulky like Sense 3.x or LG's UI

Decent Camera -Same level as SGSII/iPhone 4s would be nice

Stylish and Sturdy (thickness is not an issue for me. I used to own a Nokia 6600)

NFC is a must! I want to experiment with it for Collage.

That's most of the things I want. Extras like HDMI, dedicated camera button and bluetooth 4 are nice but not major selling points for me. I know it's a big ask and I may never find a device that ticks all the boxes. It's just a case of which ticks the most boxes. I'll wait for the summer and see what that brings about.

Guest blindclown

To me, after my ZTE Libra the one that I'll buy is the Huavei Ascend D quad. I belive it wil be a great smartphone with a achievable price.

Guest badgaz

From what we already know about the One X's internals (Tegra 3 etc) would you expect it to get a stable, fully working CM9 port fairly promptly after release or would you expect it to be problematic?

Guest adamw

I'm very tempted by the HTC One S. No removable battery is the only thing that bugs me, but saying that I've had my Hero on the same battery for 2 years and it's still passable. 16GB is plenty for me too.

I'm tempted by a pre-order deal on phones4u which gives you Orange Panther 36 for ÂŁ28.50 and you get a free Media Link HD thingy too. Anyone dealt with phones4u before??

Guest Webreaper

A Galaxy S3 will replace my Nexus One. It's a pain to wait (particularly since I'm already out of contract) and the HTC One X sounds excellent, but I'm too skeptical of Sense to have it go anywhere near a phone I own. Also, I don't trust HTC to upgrade to JB or future OS versions in a timely fashion; Samsung aren't much better but they have shown willing with the S2.

Of course, when any friends/colleagues get a OneX I'll have a look and if Sense really isn't a phone-crippling piece of monolithic nastiness, I might be tempted.

And I may just be patient and wait for the JellyBean Nexus device, whatever that might be.

Guest PaulOBrien

A Galaxy S3 will replace my Nexus One. It's a pain to wait (particularly since I'm already out of contract) and the HTC One X sounds excellent, but I'm too skeptical of Sense to have it go anywhere near a phone I own. Also, I don't trust HTC to upgrade to JB or future OS versions in a timely fashion; Samsung aren't much better but they have shown willing with the S2.

Of course, when any friends/colleagues get a OneX I'll have a look and if Sense really isn't a phone-crippling piece of monolithic nastiness, I might be tempted.

And I may just be patient and wait for the JellyBean Nexus device, whatever that might be.

You have used TouchWiz right?!?!?

P

Guest Webreaper

Yes, I've played with a Galaxy S2. But seeing what HTC did with the HTC Desire (where they basically ruined just about every standard Android feature I was able to find) they've put me off for life. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be convinced otherwise, but I'm skeptical.

The saddest thing about this thread is that the Galaxy Nexus should be the default choice here, but it seems that by cancelling the 32GB version Samsung have screwed that possibility (for me, at least).

Guest sumdumguy

Just got a HTC device, it should be reasonably powerful with S3-Adreno 220 inside, but it fails hard on every performance test app. The OneX might be good on paper, but it could be held back by bad HTC software... I would want to see some proper and trusted reviews with performance tests before parting with any money

Guest vfrvulcan

Reviews of the One-X etc seem to be taking a while to appear. I would have expected a few places to have had full reviews up by now rather than just previews.

I'm leaning towards the One-X, my Desire has served me well over the last couple of years with various Modaco and other ROMs, and am now in the upgrade window.

Having drawn the size of the X and S on a piece of paper and putting the Desire inside, they're actually not much bigger than the Desire given how much larger the screens are - only about 5-7mm wider and about 15mm longer.

Just wish Sammy would announce/release the GS3 before the X hits the shelves. Would also like to see more on the PadPhone before making the final choice.

Guest iMartyn

I've got to say, I always liked Sense, it took a combo of MIUI and ICS to grag me back to a "vanilla" interface.

I'm torn between the S3 and the One X. I've had htc since dropping symbian on my E71, going from G1 to Desire to Desire Z, and assumed, before the One X was announced that I would loose my brand loyalty to Samsung, but given an unlocked boot loader and Pauls own comments about the screen, I'm probably going with the One X and if S3 comes out I'll have kept the box for the One X and taken good care of it, in case I regret my choice.

Guest Bjarte

I'm tempted by the ASUS Padfone. Not as well speced as the Samsungs or HTCs but I have a TF101 and the prospect of carrying less gear around does appeal.

Me too, having a TF101 and a tad crappy x10i atm, and the Padfone seems to be exactly what I need and want. And if that'll be the case, my fiancé and my daughter can easily inherit the TF101. :)