19 March r1: Superboot - rooting the HTC One V

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

This superboot image is created after a user request for 'testing' One V devices. It should work on any retail One V device with S-OFF or a HTCdev unlocked bootloader. I will update it for retail devices (if required) in due course.

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 33fb1e45aff5259e67ed3c0bab7aafbf

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash').

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader.

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Enjoy! ;)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dunkel1024

Hi,

first, thank you very much for sharing this.

I have a HTC One V, and this are the first instructions that not refused to work from the beginning.

Unfortunately after booting my phone that way, I still don't have root, and the WLAN does not work. (til next reboot).

I have Bootloader unlocked and S-ON.

I've read somewhere that this might have something to do with the fact that I have a "shipped" version, and most likely also with the S-ON thingie.

Sorry, I'm an absolute n00b with this.

Can you please help me? How do I get S-OFF?

Thanks!

Guest ckpv5

Hi,

first, thank you very much for sharing this.

I have a HTC One V, and this are the first instructions that not refused to work from the beginning.

Unfortunately after booting my phone that way, I still don't have root, and the WLAN does not work. (til next reboot).

I have Bootloader unlocked and S-ON.

I've read somewhere that this might have something to do with the fact that I have a "shipped" version, and most likely also with the S-ON thingie.

Sorry, I'm an absolute n00b with this.

Can you please help me? How do I get S-OFF?

Thanks!

I had the same problem. It is the superuser not working for the shipped version. What I did was unpack the boot.img and repack it with SuperSU. Viola... now my HTC One V is rooted.

If it is ok with Paul, I can share the modded boot.img.

Edited by ckpv5

Guest ckpv5

I get back to you regarding the modded boot.img tonight when I'm at home. (about next 9 hrs).

Or you can contact me at XDA

EDIT:

**Make sure you have the official RUU in hand in case you need it.

Here is the link for the modded boot.img : LINK

I hope it is ok with Paul, if not then I will remove the link.

Just replace the boot.superboot.img with this one and run the install-superboot-windows.bat if you're on windows.

Or if you already have android sdk installed, just run in fastboot mode : fastboot boot boot.superboot.img

Once it completed, the phone will reboot on its own, then in the app drawer, you can find SuperSU, run it to update SU binary and you are done with rooting

Edited by ckpv5

Guest Handi Setyadi

I get back to you regarding the modded boot.img tonight when I'm at home. (about next 9 hrs).

Or you can contact me at XDA

EDIT:

**Make sure you have the official RUU in hand in case you need it.

Here is the link for the modded boot.img : LINK

I hope it is ok with Paul, if not then I will remove the link.

Just replace the boot.superboot.img with this one and run the install-superboot-windows.bat if you're on windows.

Or if you already have android sdk installed, just run in fastboot mode : fastboot boot boot.superboot.img

Once it completed, the phone will reboot on its own, then in the app drawer, you can find SuperSU, run it to update SU binary and you are done with rooting

Hi,

i tried to use your boot but then i was flashing it with fastboot commander i got an error message. It stop and sayed FAILED

how do i solve this?

Guest Handi Setyadi

Unlock your bootloader at HTCDev first. This will work only on unlock bootloader.

no wonder, so i have to s-off first ?

it seems there's no htc one v option when im finding in the dropbox devices

• 2 months later...
Guest hackworks

no wonder, so i have to s-off first ?

it seems there's no htc one v option when im finding in the dropbox devices

Unlocked bootloader IS NOT S-OFF. Head to htcdev.com and follow instructions to unlock your bootloader.

• 1 month later...
Guest smethrony

I have read your problem it is very conman problem. Your information is very useful and meaningful thanks for sharing information and link here. HTC One V is very unique and advance android phone.

• 4 months later...
Guest jspillers

Hmm... My phone won't reboot once it's done. I've tried a few times. The command prompt says "finished", but no reboot.

Edit: Seems I had the wrong version of this file. Downloaded the CDMA version and I was good.

Thanks!

Edited by jspillers