HTC One X Review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Lovely review, Paul (as expected). Going to wait for your One S review as I'm really torn between the 2 units. I love my Sensation but the size of the Nexus means I'm now used to a larger screen...using both the other week was really hard as I went in expecting to just love the One X and ignore the rest but the One S screen is SO nice!!

I'm selling my Nexus to fund the purchase so will be awaiting your One S review with excitement :D

My One S review will be up soon!

So jealous lol, anyway how do you condition your batteries? There is so many conflicting reports on the internet it gets a bit confusing.

I don't really condition it tbh, I just find it takes a few charges to get 'up to speed'. :)

Great review, Paul! I genuinly thought you didn't like me when I asked a Q through twitter (wtrt) and you didn't reply. Good to know it was an embargo instead ;)!

I only have one question now: my one X is still on firmware 401.2 and no OTA to be found!

Any clue what could cause this? I live in Belgium that might have something to do with it. Any way around it though?

Thanks!

The OTA of the next release is in limited test atm.

P

Guest Arz Bhatia

Mind blowing review!

Mind posting a photo doing a screen comparison of the One X, Galaxy Nexus and Xperia S showing same pictures will full brightness?

Guest PaulOBrien

Mind blowing review!

Mind posting a photo doing a screen comparison of the One X, Galaxy Nexus and Xperia S showing same pictures will full brightness?

I can do, the One X blows them all away tho. ;)

Great looking handset. If you turn the handset to landscape mode you will have scientific ability on the stock calculator.

Ah, good spot, thanks! :)

P

Guest Simon O

What happened to the part about ICS phones would have to include Holo as an optional theme for the device to be certified by google?

That was just for theming apps not for the whole UI.

Guest Simon O

mad.gifDamn you audio jack on top!!

Why is that a bad thing? I would expect the top to be the most logical placement for the headphone jack since most people put phones in pockets.

Guest TheDuder

Why is that a bad thing? I would expect the top to be the most logical placement for the headphone jack since most people put phones in pockets.

Nope. I've always hated the placement of the audio jack on Android phones. Ever since I got the Galaxy Nexus, which has it located on the bottom, I've been so pleased with it being there(compared to where it was on my previous Android phones). For example, when I pull my phone out of my pocket, I don't have to flip it around to see the screen. When it's on top... you do & the cord is always draped around in an awkward way, IMO.

Guest TheDuder

I'm actually quite bewildered as to why you guys like it on top. I know everyone has their own personal preference, which is why Android is great, but now I'm curious as to what makes it better than being on bottom. I guess you could say you're just used to it there, but I don't seem to understand how it's not annoying coming out from the top. (honestly asking)

Not sure how many other Android phones are like this...but have you tried using a phone like the gnexus that has it on the bottom?

Guest TonyLeMesmer

Surely on the bottom makes more sense, then the cable runs straight past your wrist. Also it means when you put your phone in your pocket upside down, when you pull it out it's the right way up. I'm sure I saw a video about it somewhere, I'll have a look.

Guest cjb110

I would have said top...but TheDuder has a point...when you take it out your pocket you swing it around so its the right way up. If it was on the bottom there's no issue.

All ports on the bottom makes sense, I hate side ports, it looks weird on the device and weird when plugged in your desk..the cable pulls it squiffy.

Guest rvdgeer

Nope. I've always hated the placement of the audio jack on Android phones. Ever since I got the Galaxy Nexus, which has it located on the bottom, I've been so pleased with it being there(compared to where it was on my previous Android phones). For example, when I pull my phone out of my pocket, I don't have to flip it around to see the screen. When it's on top... you do & the cord is always draped around in an awkward way, IMO.

Glad it has the audio jack on top!

What would the popular Valenta pouches look like if the audio jack was on the bottom ;)

EDIT:

Oh, and how about desk stands?

How would I be able to plug in a headset when the phone is on/in the desk stand if the audio jack is on the bottom?

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest GrandDestroyer

Nice review! I already had the device since Saturday and it's indeed an awesome device! I have the gray/black version though. I think the tweaking could be that the companion core is more used then it currently is ;) I would expect the battery life to improve significantly if more work can be done on the companion core.

Quick question, how is the notification led on the white version? I heard its easier to see then on the gray/black one for some reason.

Edited by GrandDestroyer

I'm actually quite bewildered as to why you guys like it on top. I know everyone has their own personal preference, which is why Android is great, but now I'm curious as to what makes it better than being on bottom. I guess you could say you're just used to it there, but I don't seem to understand how it's not annoying coming out from the top. (honestly asking)

Not sure how many other Android phones are like this...but have you tried using a phone like the gnexus that has it on the bottom?

I hate the audio jack on the bottom of my Gnex as it means I have to put the phone in my Jacket pocket upside down so the cable is poking out of the top. Pulling the phone out of the pocket I have to flip it round so its the right way up.

Guest PaulOBrien

Nice review! I already had the device since Saturday and it's indeed an awesome device! I have the gray/black version though. I think the tweaking could be that the companion core is more used then it currently is ;) I would expect the battery life to improve significantly if more work can be done on the companion core.

Quick question, how is the notification led on the white version? I heard its easier to see then on the gray/black one for some reason.

LED notification is still kinda small!

P

Guest pravus_nephilim

I thought landscape support was meant to be present in the Sense 4.0 launcher?

Edited by pravus_nephilim

Guest FatherD

Hmmm, it looks good, your review gives a spot on picture of the highlights.

I get the reasoning but don't like the non-removable battery, or camera hump!

Perhaps this is a good reset for HTC, but I think my Gnex will be prised from my clutches by the s3

One question: does your white version have the glossed edge I've just seen on a black one in p4u?