Sign in to follow this  
Navie

How is the ICS development for the Skate?

I sold my Skate last year in November, when I was about to buy a Galaxy Note...which is the device I currently own, even though ICS isn't at full stability and doesn't make full use of the phone specs I was keen to know how the development for the Skate is? I miss my Skate, however...I can't ever go back to a smaller screen than 5.3", I still see a some familiar people exist here...especially the rom developers :)

Ics going good. Especially after I got the new drivers working today.

How's the note feel?

I feels small and normal now after adjusting to it :P ...hopefully it'll help me in my game development once I have finished my studies in May :)

Do you find developing roms easier than apps?

Edited by Navie

I feels small and normal now after adjusting to it :P ...hopefully it'll help me in my game development once I have finished my studies in May :)

Do you find developing roms easier than apps?

Yes lol. For rom development you don't need to know java or c++ which you do need to know for apps.

Yes lol. For rom development you don't need to know java or c++ which you do need to know for apps.

So what do u need to know for developing a ROM?

So what do u need to know for developing a ROM?

It depends. If you want to make a binary mod of a stock rom you can just unzip and replace apps etc. Something like Atomic requires Smali knowledge which is probably more difficult than java. Thats why I stick to compiling roms from scratch which needs a knowledge of android and the build system, patience And a fast computer.

I'm thinking of using an app called AIDE https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aide.ui&hl=en to develop my apps, its more of a learn and play around thing with this more than anything so that I can get more knowledge and know-how, I will most likely develop properly using my laptop in a proper environment :)

I'm not new to programming so hopefully my knowledge in C++ can help, I currently use Matlab, so I know about variables, functions, if-else statements etc

It depends. If you want to make a binary mod of a stock rom you can just unzip and replace apps etc. Something like Atomic requires Smali knowledge which is probably more difficult than java. Thats why I stick to compiling roms from scratch which needs a knowledge of android and the build system, patience And a fast computer.

What do you use to work on your rom development? I am thinking of using Eclipse

What do you use to work on your rom development? I am thinking of using Eclipse

I don't program for android at all. I compile which is a different thing entirely. Eclipse does seem to be the most popular choice though.

I don't program for android at all. I compile which is a different thing entirely. Eclipse does seem to be the most popular choice though.

Cool, cool, thanks :)