So who's thinking of buying this?

Guest tilal6991

Guest FrankieADZ

I'm taking the ICS stuff with a pinch of salt. No offence but I'm a believe it when I see it kind of person.

Im kinda agree with you there...a part of me thinks they've said it to see if they can catch people out with it.

Hoping that the CM team create a ROM for it personally :)

Guest fraxos

Completely agree but in this case given how quickly they came up with a ICS update for the Huawei Honor then I remain hopeful rolleyes.gif

Of course, there is also the issue of ironing out the current software issues..

Guest tilal6991

So definitely buying one of these after my exams which finish in a months time. As soon as I get it CM9 porting begins. So I give an estimation of a very raw and basic release whose release date is roughly the 15th of June.

Guest Armadillo1

So definitely buying one of these after my exams which finish in a months time. As soon as I get it CM9 porting begins. So I give an estimation of a very raw and basic release whose release date is roughly the 15th of June.

Ooh, now I might just buy one :)

But 15th of June is so far away. However, if the ROM is anything like your ROM for San fran it's worth waiting for I guess.

Guest trueno2k
Lalit's involvement with this handset in the next month or so is very tempting me to get one of these just for the sake of a improvement and a new handset, however it would have to be in the black & grey colour (is it out in this colour on Vodafone???) and subsidised @ 100£ or less by Three network for me to get it which helps negate the unlocking issue, so 3 months it will have to be for when it gets released to other networks providers... Hopefully, by then more 720p handset from ZTE and HUAWEI will get released and then I'll have a feast when it comes to my next handset purchase :P Edited by trueno2k

Well that settles it for me tilal I am buying one in two weeks time :D

• 1 month later...
Guest sej7278

did anyone get one in the end? what's it like? how is unlocking/rooting it?

any cm9 roms yet - i can only see mods of the original rom, not even a cm7 in the g300 forum, 2.6 kernel source is up though.

The g300 beats my blade/skate in every department,Huawei have done a great job for the £100 mark.

We have source,but its a little quite round here.

We could do with some cm7 at the least.

Tilal cm9 dev from skate is working on cm9 for g300 but at present does not have the device,and as you said,all other roms are based on stock builds.

I would be happy if you got one though sej,your cm7 builds when I had a blade where the best around.

Edited by Guest

Guest Davidoff59

You are cordially invited to this G300 party Sej. We currently have tilal working on CM9 though no device as yet and omegamoon is working on it also but he is having problems with getting it to boot.

phone is rooted, thanks to Paul using super recovery method and unlocks are available on eBay for cheap although some including myself have managed a free unlock by Vodafone with a bit of smooth talking BEFORE you hand over your cash.

Guest RussellS

Well I'm just about to buy a second one. I got mine a few weeks ago to replace my San Francisco and have been so impressed that I am now going to get one for my wife to replace her HTC Wildfire which I have never been impressed with at all.

Guest FrankieADZ

did anyone get one in the end? what's it like? how is unlocking/rooting it?

any cm9 roms yet - i can only see mods of the original rom, not even a cm7 in the g300 forum, 2.6 kernel source is up though.

Buy 1 ;)

you can get 1 for £100 unlocked(order from Vodafone going thru Quidco/topcashback..to get £5 bk i think..then use that on unlock code :))

Would love to see what you could do with this phone after trying your CM work on the blade :)

Guest trueno2k
I bought it 2 weeks ago, is perfect android for less than 100 dollars
LOL now 100$ would be cheap for a smartphone of this calibre! dont you mean 100£ ;)

Guest trueno2k
Buy 1 ;)

you can get 1 for £100 unlocked(order from Vodafone going thru Quidco/topcashback..to get £5 bk i think..then use that on unlock code :))

Would love to see what you could do with this phone after trying your CM work on the blade :)

Well, if you can point us in the right direction to the cashback link then it would be appreciated! ATM, I can't find a single offer from both sites that will cash us back money when we go through them to buy the Ascend G300 on Vodafones website!

Guest RussellS

Well, if you can point us in the right direction to the cashback link then it would be appreciated! ATM, I can't find a single offer from both sites that will cash us back money when we go through them to buy the Ascend G300 on Vodafones website!

http://www.topcashba...one_-_personal/

Near the end 'Pay As You Go Handset' £5.05 cashback

Obviously you need to be a registered user and logged in to Topcashback before clicking on the link.

I've just had a look at Quidco as well and found this:

http://www.quidco.com/vodafone/?ac

At the bottom - £5 for PAYG handset sales (per phone).

Edited by RussellS

Guest trueno2k

Thanks, I must have been looking in the wrong locations LOL... :P Question, anyone tried getting nectar points whilst going through the cashback sites to purchase the G300 on vodafone site? I just had a little test run and loaded up vodafone site via the nectar transfer link then went onto both TopCashBack & Quidco then went through the transfer link on them to vodafone site & found the nectar toolbar still recognised the cookie activation! :P Assuming that the TopCashBack & Quidco cookies were still in affect, I should be able to receive cashback plus 100 nectar points (plus triple points if that offer is still on the table, which I forgot to check :P )...

Another 2pence done! :P

http://www.topcashba...one_-_personal/

Near the end 'Pay As You Go Handset' £5.05 cashback

Obviously you need to be a registered user and logged in to Topcashback before clicking on the link.

I've just had a look at Quidco as well and found this:

http://www.quidco.com/vodafone/?ac

At the bottom - £5 for PAYG handset sales (per phone).

Guest h@mster81

I would need some advice. I have my Blade for 1.5 years now and it's about to die (very poor battery life recently regardless which ROM installed. I even tried replacement batteries without any luck.)

I do consider buying a G300. It's pretty much what the OSF Blade was 1.5 years ago. I'm a bit reluctant as my contract with 3 will end in September and I could get a Samsung Galaxy S Advance or a SE Arc S. Samsung has dual core CPU and more RAM while Arc S has bigger screen and HDMI but no front facing camera.

I'm not quite sure which one to choose. I really like the community and support here but not too sure if G300 will have the same support like Blade has.

Any views welcome.

Thanks,

Alex

Guest Davidoff59

Zte Mimosa X meant to be coming soon so another 1 to look at. Zte Era quad core also, both meant to be cheap

G300 is great phone but it does have its quirks and bugs.

Guest onericardo

Guys, do you think this phone is a good upgrade from someone that owns a Zte Blade ?

Zte blade lacked a good camera for photos and In my opinion it had a low quality materials.

Guest RussellS

Yes. Definitely. Improved on the blade in many ways. I'd say get one now! :D

Agreed. I've now just bought a second one for my wife to replace her HTC Wildfire. Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow.

Guest Davidoff59

The Blade was a great first device. Mine still going strong after a year and a half.

The G300 is a good upgrade specs wise. Screen resolution will surprise you as it did me.

It creaks a bit but tightening the screws fixes that and a phone cover helps even more although I have done neither as yet. It also has gorilla glass.

If battery life is an issue,you need this device.

My battery just wont die,its unbelievably good compared to other androids I have had.Throw it on charge for twenty minutes,and battery is close to charged.

I believe the reason for the excellent battery life is the snapdragon processor,as qualcomm have said about the chipset being optimized to make battery go further.

Edited by Guest