[ROM] Onyx (CM7; updated 2012 04 22)

Guest twrock

Guest twrock

Onyx (updated 2012 04 22)

*Disclaimer: Please don't expect me personally to answer questions and solve problems with this rom. I don't use this rom. I haven't even installed the latest version. But please leave questions and report problems so that someone else who is using this rom can possibly help you.

Credits: This is a modification of the CM7.2 port that Pier did for the Huawei U8220/8230. All credit goes to him and the others who helped create a working CM7 port. I only modified that port similar to the way I modify other roms to work more like I want them to for my own use. If you find this rom useful, enjoy.

Changelog: See the second post for the changelog.

Known problems/bugs:

• The MAC address is not correct, but can be fixed. See the second post for the fix.
  • Both cameras work. However, you will need to set up GScriptLite (included in the rom) in order to switch between the two. See the second post for details on how to do this.
  • See the second post for ideas on how to solve the SMS bug. (SMS bug is not specific to this rom; it happens in lots of roms.)

This is a beta rom, so there might be other bugs that come to light. Please report any problems you experience. I probably can't fix it, but there are some really smart guys around here who maybe can.
    wink.gif

Pre-installation requirements. (This is important, so read all of this!)
    (For a more complete "how-to" on the points below please refer to The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide.)
    • This ROM has been created for the Huawei U8220/U8230.
    • U8220/Pulse users who are installing the Onyx rom must first update to a Huawei official update with a large enough /system partition. I recommend the TRE update but you can also use the CHT8000 update, or the Hungarian update.
    • U8230 and U8220-6 users should not flash the official U8220 updates mentioned above; install this rom over your original U8230 or U8220-6 2.1 rom.
    • You must have Clockwork Recovery installed (not AmonRA) in order to install this rom. Incidentally, I'm using CW Recovery 2.5.0.7; apparently, CW Recovery v.3.0.0.5 does not work correctly. Later versions of CW Recovery might work, but I haven't tested any.
    • In order for DT Apps2SD and swap to work properly, you must format your SD card properly before you install this rom. (I have a 8gb class 10 card with 256mb ext2 partition for a2sd and a 32mb Linux swap partition; the rest formatted to fat32.) However, the rom will work fine without doing that, you just won't have that added functionality. You can enable the built-in app moving if you prefer.

Download links:

(the rom)

(Dark Tremor Apps2SD can be flashed immediately after the full rom if you wish)

(optional for those wanting Arabic support)

(HanvonCalla handwriting IME and two Chinese language packs for TouchPal; flashable zip can be flashed at any time; all files are installed to /system, so make sure you have enough space)

(Chinese handwriting IME only; flashable zip that installs to /system)

(Traditional and Simplified Chinese language packs; unzip the files, copy to SD card, and install as other apps; this is
    not
    a flashable zip)

Basic installation steps:

[*]Copy the "Onyx*.zip" file to your SD card.

[*]Reboot into Clockwork Recovery (2.5.0.7) by holding down the red end call and menu buttons and pushing the power button.

[*]"nandroid" then "Backup" (if you skip this step, and you might live to regret it)

[*]"wipe data/factory reset" and "Yes -- delete all user data"

[*]"install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "Onyx*.zip" and "Yes - Install Onyx*.zip"

[*][optional step] "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "dtapp2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip" and "Yes - Install dtapp2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip"

[*]"reboot system now"

Edited by twrock

Guest twrock

Fixes:

MAC Address bug fix:
(thanks dr.flo)

After installing the rom, open Terminal Emulator app, type "su" to enter superuser mode, then type this line of code:
echo 1a:2b:3c:4d:5e:6f > /data/misc/wifi/softmac

but use your own MAC address
instead of what you see here. Reboot.

Camera switching hack:
(thanks dr.flo)

GScript Lite is included in the rom, along with the "camswitch" script. But you must set it up to use it. Open GSript Lite, click your Menu button, tap on Add, then set up the next screen to look like this:

post-596158-0-32807400-1335076662_thumb.

Tap on Save and then exit to your Launcher screen. Finally, add a GScript Widget for CamSwitch on one of Launcher screens if you wish. Each time you tap on that Widget, the script will switch back and forth between the front and back cameras. Otherwise, you can run camswitch by opening GScript Lite.

Lost SMS messages:

This bug is not specific to this rom; it happens with many Android roms. There are two "recommended" fixes to this problem. First, in Settings>CyanogenMod settings>Performance settings, you can check "Lock messaging appp in memory". Some people have suggested that doesn't always solve the problem, and others have suggested that it is a waste of precious RAM. So the second possibility is to install an app called "Ghostly SMS". (This is my current solution.) Ghostly SMS is not a replacement for your SMS app. It works alongside to make sure SMS messages actually get delivered to your SMS app. I highly recommend you give a "donation" so that you can take advantages of the automation provided by the "Delayed notification" settings. IMHO, it is worth it.

Changelog:

2012 04 22:

Updated apps: updated Terminal Emulator, QuickPic

enabled JIT in build.prop

2012 04 13:

modified install script

modified build.prop (note: JIT is off by default)

removed some sound files and bootanimation (to increase space)

removed some apps (to increase space and get rid of things I don't use ever)

added some gapps (only the "basics")

updated stock apps (if I noticed they were outdated)

added: Quickpic, GScriptLite, AndExplorer, Touchpal (apps I prefer; also GScriptLite is for camera switching hack)

added dr.flo's libhardware_legacy.so mod to allow for MAC Address fix

added fallback font

added a modfied camswitch script (originally by dr.flo)

modified default wallpaper

modified boot.img (default speed 528, 200000 sampling_rate, swappiness 30)

Old versions:

(initial release)
Edited by twrock

Guest Freon35

Installed the ROM (older version) - everything works perfect even the animations.

First green screens are connected with backups! (written in Piers thread for CM camera works).

My recommendation is NOT to use Titanium backup, or what so ever backup.

Make a list of your apps, and install them through Google Play store.

Only question to Twrock is where is the weather app inside clock app?

Guest twrock

Well, if that is the GenieWidget.apk, then I most likely deleted it to gain space. Toss it back into /system/app, and you "should" be good to go.

Guest smhui

Installed the ROM (older version) - everything works perfect even the animations.

First green screens are connected with backups! (written in Piers thread for CM camera works).

Do you mean NOT to use Titanium backup to restore individual aps / data, or, just DO NOT to have complete restore from previous ROM, say Styx?

Guest Freon35

Well, if that is the GenieWidget.apk, then I most likely deleted it to gain space. Toss it back into /system/app, and you "should" be good to go.

There is no such apk in Pier's CM ROM, but when installed there is weather inside clock apk.

Guest twrock

There is no such apk in Pier's CM ROM, but when installed there is weather inside clock apk.

Yep, it's not there. But it is in Gapps. :rolleyes::lol:

But I still have to say that I don't know if that will do it. You'll just have to try and see. I'm not sure what makes that happen.

On another note. I don't seem to have problems when restoring apps with Titanium with CM6 (I don't know about CM7). Do you think this is a CM7 specific problem? I wonder why?

Guest Freon35

Restoring for the first time also was not a problem for me. Then I re-flashed CM 7.2 , re-flashed your's modified ROM, re-flashed 6.2, then stock froyo, again yours - then backup started to do funny things....

Reflashed a few more times to verify the problem, and after restoring backup there were lags, green screens, other funny stuff.

Guest desalesouche

i did reinstall cm7.2 from pier 11 and onyx with cwm back up and i have no funny things...i am used also to copy my apps ( if necessary ) from system/data/app to my sd so i have in case i need them ...so i don't use titanium

Guest 让雪飞

How many does it RAM ? I am just interesting in it . thanks very much .

Guest desalesouche

to all

how would it be possible to make permanent change in .sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb?

also in sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj and minfree? thx :)

@ twrock how can i take the black wall paper in Onyx to replace it in other rom please?

...thx...

Edited by desalesouche

Guest desalesouche

What do you think about its performance compared to the other CM7.2 and the Styx rom?

quite good similar to not say better than other cm7.2 it is just feeling not objective...

Guest twrock

At my personal experience much better then other CM 7.2.

I have no reason why it would be any faster than CM7.2. There is nothing I recall that I did when modifying Pier's rom that would make it faster. :huh:

Guest twrock

@ twrock how can i take the black wall paper in Onyx to replace it in other rom please?

...thx...

Unless the rom maker does something unique (Huawei does some times), the default wallpaper is in the framework-res.apk file. /res/drawable/default_wallpaper.jpg.

But to save you time, here you go:

post-596158-0-64623700-1335229110_thumb.

Guest desalesouche

Unless the rom maker does something unique (Huawei does some times), the default wallpaper is in the framework-res.apk file. /res/drawable/default_wallpaper.jpg.

But to save you time, here you go:

post-596158-0-64623700-1335229110_thumb.

hi.thank you very much :)

Guest Freon35

Twrock - on your ROM CRT animation is working for me, on Pier's it didn't. Google sync is wooooow faster, and everything is more responcive. Don't know why....

Guest twrock

Twrock - on your ROM CRT animation is working for me, on Pier's it didn't. Google sync is wooooow faster, and everything is more responcive. Don't know why....

Hmm, lucky, I guess.:huh:

Oh, just remembered, I did adjust the swappiness to 30 and the sampling_rate to 200000 in the boot image. The swappiness should help responsiveness (reduce lag), but I'd think the sampling_rate would only possibly help with battery life and might reduce responsiveness. But, who knows. Most of the time I'm just guessing at this stuff. ;)