MoDaCo Custom ROM Gr2 for the Huawei U8815 / G300 (B888) - New: PartitionSwap

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest airchie

Hi guys,

I have a friend looking to spend no more than £100 on an android smartphone.

I saw this and it looks like a great phone for the price.

What's everyone's thoughts on it?

Is there something better I should consider advising my friend to buy?

Thanks in advance. :)

Guest samjam

It is similar hardware to HTC desire but for storage. My brother has had the desire for some time and advised my dad to buy the g300

I since bought the g300 for me.

I won't be recommending any other phone for a while

Guest Colin Whiteside

As far as I know our benign overlord is waiting for the official Voda release. Going from my Ascend and its lovely bugs on interim updates, like forgetting which SD card is actually real I don't think that's a bad thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alexslane

hi there guys and paul and hello from south wales :) ,

i have followed this thread for some time , im running this rom now and all in all very good indeed .

i have a question i downloaded a ICS rom and wanted to flash every time i flash though either via cmw or update via software upgrade im getting update failed .

is it something to do with the update that i have done with this rom and could you please point me towards how i can upgrade from here.

the software upgrade in storage really killed me it unziped and when it went to install failed.

CWM did the update and then stalled at the huawei spash screen .

sorry for my newbness and any help would be very very helpful

keep up the good work and thanks for having a look .

Chris .

P.s Paul will you be doing the same for ICS as you have done with this rom?.

Guest nedmundo

I'm not sure why, but when I install this on top of official ICS 4.0.3 b926, I lose my IMEI number, which cannot be restored, despite a backup.

Thankfully, it's fine when I revert back to stock.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gabriel94

Well i flashed ICS on my G300 but wanted to switch back to GB but with this ROM I have no service? How do I get back to GB without losing phone network / service?

Any GB Rom suggestions for Germany?

Edited by Gabriel94

Well i flashed ICS on my G300 but wanted to switch back to GB but with this ROM I have no service? How do I get back to GB without losing phone network / service?

Any GB Rom suggestions?

When you upgraded to ICS you updated the phones baseband (radio firmware) to 2030. This is a different baseband to what is used on GB (109808) so while you are on the 2030 baseband you cannot use any ROMs that are created for the 109808 baseband, which is pretty much all GB ROMs.

If you REALLY want to downgrade back to GB you can forcibly downgrade but this involves zeroing the IMEI number and does have some risk involved.

Edit: A guide on forcibly downgrading can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fHCqgv3Erj-IOAHssv20sxVMaphQJiVr3hebq9oQHNo/edit?pli=1

Edited by Cyda

Guest Gabriel94

Oh well, if it is that risky I'll just stick with ICS but some people said that GB has better performance on the G300 I think of it like having Windows XP and Windows 7 and XP has better performance because it uses less resources. I have also seen that ICS worked like a very little bit not slower but I don't know how to explain it, anyway, can you give me a a link to Stock Rom for ICS and I'll see what I do.

From my experience once ICS is setup correctly it runs much better than GB. I wouldn't go back to GB.

If you want stock I would go with b936 or b940 both of these work well. They are both CWM zips so you will need to install CWM if you ahven't already done so.

Guest Gabriel94

GTA 3 works so good for him it lags for me, he also said:

Hi, The phone had a custom rom (stock based) and stock kernel,no overclock, no high performance tweaks, just rooted and some bloatware removed. The perfomance "stock rom" vs "those CUSTOM ROM" was the same. The performance would be improved with a good kernel (w OC) +custom rom(w tweaks)

Guest Gabriel94

Sorry for double post but I need to find out what version my phone is, i have no idea if its

B888 or anything else, i think it is U8815 whatever that means

currentyl have infusion ics

but i want to downgrade to GB and can someone give me a link to a stock GB ROM?

Guest tcpaulh

Is your partitioning code available somewhere? :)

Not specifically, i'll add that to the to-do list! )

P

Hi Paul

How did you achieve the partition swap code wise?

I'm wondering if we can do away with the 2gb partition and incorporate into data?

Thanks

Edited by tcpaulh