MoDaCo Custom ROM Gr2 for the Huawei U8815 / G300 (B888) - New: PartitionSwap

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien
After flashing this, rebooting recovery then restoring a backup I'm getting boot loops (It shows the Huawei logo, then a picture of an android with a box and a loading bar, then it loops). A clean install seems to work ok. Is that a bug or am I doing something wrong? When it did the clean install it showed that the SD and internal storage had been swapped so that part was all working ok.

edit: actually I can't get it to reboot into recovery now. powering on with volume up held and "adb reboot recovery" are giving me the same boot loop. Oddly this was working fine before...

edit 2: I've brought it back to life using the B885 UPDATE.APP

When you restore, ONLY restore data...?

P

Guest Hans Gruber

When you restore, ONLY restore data...?

P

oh... that might have been it! :D I'll give it another go once I've got CWM reinstalled

Guest Hans Gruber

OK yesterday I tried again by just restoring data and it still wouldn't boot for me, so I just did a fresh install and it's all working fine. I must have been doing something wrong.

Now my phone has been converted will I be able to install other roms (Ligux or AtomicMod for example) and still keep the larger data partition, or will I need to flash back to the default?

Guest PaulOBrien

OK yesterday I tried again by just restoring data and it still wouldn't boot for me, so I just did a fresh install and it's all working fine. I must have been doing something wrong.

Now my phone has been converted will I be able to install other roms (Ligux or AtomicMod for example) and still keep the larger data partition, or will I need to flash back to the default?

No, the other ROMs will have to be adapted for PartitionSwap.

P

Guest Ratkat

Same issue for me, restoring a backup (data only) after partition swop just sticks g300 in an endless boot loop, going to clean install

Should also add there is a problem with the GMail app in the kitchen, corrupt possibly? anyway doesn't install. Also you get Play Books icon twice in the app drawer

Edited by Ratkat

Guest Brian Doyle

I can confirm that gmail is missing from the bake even though I selected it.It's just a simple matter of downloading from the market though.

Guest Simon O

I would say the bootloops are expected since your backups are expecting /data to be in it's original location. Pauls rom swaps the locations of /data and /sdcard so you will have problems restoring backups.

If you do the partition swap, do a clean install and don't restore any backups.

Guest Hans Gruber

One thing I thought about after I stopped trying to get it to work was that maybe the internal SD needs formatting before restoring, as it seemed to be stalling on the restoring the /DataData bit. Might be worth trying if anyone is still playing around with it.

edit: just tried it myself and when formatting the internal SD after the conversion (using the storage menu from settings) and it just crashes the phone and sends it into a bootloop so something is not quite right with the conversion.

Edited by Hans Gruber

Guest BigJas

Nice work on the ROM Paul. I have a quick question about the online kitchen options. Initially I created a ROM with everything to see what the apps where. Then I created a stripped down version where I unchecked the Google Gallery and Huawei Music. However the Gallery and Music apps are still on the device. So what was uninstalled?

Also on the slimmed down version, the WallPapers are gone (relatet to not installing Gallery?). I've looked through the pre-bake and my first generated update.zip in the hope of doing a quick copy over but no luck. Where are the Wallpappers?

Thanks to Paul and all the other clever peolpe here.

Edit: One small teeny tiny point. Play Books appears twice in the Launchers app list

Edited by BigJas

Guest PaulOBrien

Checking the books issue.

Not sure why a data restore wouldn't work as long as you've restarted recovery, i'll check the scripts.

P

Guest MrPuddington

I have to say I am tempted by the partition swap feature. The small size of the default app storage is getting annoying, and more than doubling it would be an elegant solution.

But I assume there should also be a way to repartition the flash memory completely? The "internal SD card" is a bit of a waste, especially given the rather small memory to start with.

Guest PaulOBrien
I have to say I am tempted by the partition swap feature. The small size of the default app storage is getting annoying, and more than doubling it would be an elegant solution.

But I assume there should also be a way to repartition the flash memory completely? The "internal SD card" is a bit of a waste, especially given the rather small memory to start with.

It's something I'm looking in to but it's dangerous and not straightforward!

P

Guest BigJas

Quick update on the customisation options. Changing the "Gallery" option, adds/removes "k" in the options.txt file but no other changes are present in the generated zip file.

FYI

"Music" option is Music2.apk

Wallpapers are in the Launcher apps

Guest PaulOBrien

Quick update on the customisation options. Changing the "Gallery" option, adds/removes "k" in the options.txt file but no other changes are present in the generated zip file.

FYI

"Music" option is Music2.apk

Wallpapers are in the Launcher apps

Fixed! :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Also on the slimmed down version, the WallPapers are gone (relatet to not installing Gallery?). I've looked through the pre-bake and my first generated update.zip in the hope of doing a quick copy over but no luck. Where are the Wallpappers?

Edit: One small teeny tiny point. Play Books appears twice in the Launchers app list

Wallpapers live in the Launcher, so if you uninstall the Huawei launcher that's what will do it I believe.

Books is strange, there's only one copy in the kitchen? Gmail is present and correct also!

P

Guest BigJas

Wallpapers live in the Launcher, so if you uninstall the Huawei launcher that's what will do it I believe.

Books is strange, there's only one copy in the kitchen? Gmail is present and correct also!

P

The two Play Books icons aren't a big deal really, so no worries. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find where the Huawei Launcher stores its config file or database so I can remove the extra icon manually ;)

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Guest PaulOBrien

I've isolated the missing Gmail issue to having a ICS Gmail APK in the kitchen when it should be Gingerbread. Think i've also found the Books issue, i'll update the kitchen and prebake shortly.

P

Guest Brian Doyle

Anyone managed to get a GPS signal with this ROM? I use RunKeeper for tracking my runs and no matter what I do, just cannot get a GPS signal.I'm going to revert to B888 nandroid backup to see if it works on that.

Guest Brian Doyle

Anyone managed to get a GPS signal with this ROM? I use RunKeeper for tracking my runs and no matter what I do, just cannot get a GPS signal.I'm going to revert to B888 nandroid backup to see if it works on that.

Ok... flashed GR2 normal partitions.Then restored nandroid B888 backup and GPS works perfectly with RunKeeper. The only problem now is I keep getting the 'boot loop' when I flash GR2 Swap, reboot recovery, restore data or full restore.

*EDIT* Looking into this deeper.I don't think NADROID backups of the G300 with SWAP GR2 can't be restored at all.They all stick on Huawei logo at bootup.

Thanks for your work so far Paul.I love the pre-bake btw! :)

Edited by Brian Doyle

Guest PaulOBrien

GPS fine here!

Ok... flashed GR2 normal partitions.Then restored nandroid B888 backup and GPS works perfectly with RunKeeper. The only problem now is I keep getting the 'boot loop' when I flash GR2 Swap, reboot recovery, restore data or full restore.

*EDIT* Looking into this deeper.I don't think NADROID backups of the G300 with SWAP GR2 can't be restored at all.They all stick on Huawei logo at bootup.

Thanks for your work so far Paul.I love the pre-bake btw! :)

I'm not sure why restoring this way doesn't work, very odd... Does anyone have a logcat of the boot loop?

P

Guest BigJas

Hi Brian

My only problem with the GPS when I tested today (not used it since installing custom ROM) was the length of it took to get an initial lock on my location. I'd guess about 5-10 mins. It looked like Google maps wasn't working so downloaded "GPS Status" to check. The app showed that the GPS had acquired a few satelites fairly quickly, but pin pointing my location took ages. It quickly got my location back at home when I switched it back on.

Edit: First smartphone (about 2 weeks) or GPS device so don't know if the above is bad or typical.

Edit2: Thanks for the books fix Paul. Saved me some effort :)

Edited by BigJas

Guest chohan01

Hi guys newbie here, I've rooted my G300 thanks to Paul (BTW you're awesome!) and I've just got to ask this question; if you root you're G300 and install clockworkmod will the future official ICS update work? PS if you just have the stock bootloader with upgraded access from Paul's root thread will the ICS update work? Thanks in advance!