TESTING: Rooting your One X without unlocking the bootloader (Windows / Mac / Linux)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Shuflie

I'm S-ON on a Three branded One X that had previously been rooted but was reverted to stock although bootloader is still unlocked. Script worked on my mac and gave perm root again. This is the output from the script

(null):root-one-x-tegra shuflie$ ./root-mac.sh

HTC One X Tegra 3 Root Script by Paul O'Brien- includes script from kennethpenn

Follow @paulobrien and @modaco on Twitter for more Android fun!echo Don't touch the device or unplug while rooting!

Push files

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

706 KB/s (837916 bytes in 1.158s)

706 KB/s (91980 bytes in 0.127s)

964 KB/s (570342 bytes in 0.577s)

rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory

Reboot

Reboot again... note that when device returns it may appear to be bootlooping, don't panic!

Reboot one last time...

I should probably have tried it after relocking the boot loader but I can confirm that it roots an unlocked device quite easily.

Edited by Shuflie

Don't worry guys, I got cotulla on this case to get the device S-off.

Within weeks we have a fully S-off device.

how close are u to cotulla..coz i know he wont do it !

Guest GuyAdams

Paul, will there ever be a way to unlock the bootloader without going through htcdev or am I just wainting for false hopes?

Also is the root without unlocked bootloader a total no go now in your opinion or do you think this also may be possible in future?

Basically until the One X is S-OFF the only way to unlock is via HTCDEV. Once (or if) we have S-OFF then a Revolutionary style option will be available which means you won't have to HTCDEV unlock.

• 1 month later...
Guest schnurzelat

Why is noboby investigating here anymore? I tried different things but failed.

I am on 1.26 and got temporary root with this script. I modified the script and was able to put the files in its respective folders.

The problem was, that after umount, remount or trying to remove the ext4 Journal the device crashes. i used dd to dump the system image to the sd memory.

I didn't tried yet, to modify the system image and use dd to wirte it back.

It seems, that nobody is researching the possibilities.

Greetings schnurzelat

Guest ChronoWerX

Why is noboby investigating here anymore? I tried different things but failed.

I am on 1.26 and got temporary root with this script. I modified the script and was able to put the files in its respective folders.

The problem was, that after umount, remount or trying to remove the ext4 Journal the device crashes. i used dd to dump the system image to the sd memory.

I didn't tried yet, to modify the system image and use dd to wirte it back.

It seems, that nobody is researching the possibilities.

Greetings schnurzelat

How you get temp root? Please share

Guest schnurzelat

I am doing no magic. I just cut the script (from the first post) off at the line "ECHO AGAIN!?".

Then you can open a shell with "adb shell" with root rights. While you have the root shell the phone its constantly soft rebooting (the shell is working all the time). The script posted here is not working below the line "ECHO AGAIN!?". I was able to do the changes. I installed busybox, the su command and placed the superuser.apk in the app folder.

But if i try to umount /system, the phone reboots hard and all changes are gone.

I tried to:

-remove the ext4 journal, but the phone hangs.

-playing around with htcfs command

-playing around with mount option for removing or not using the ext4 journal

But i wasn't brave enough yet, to use dd to write /system back. My Idea was, to dump /system to sd, do the changes, while mounting the system.img in linux and write it back with the dd command.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kickasskev

Just tried it on the 2.05 test rom with s-off device... confirmed working!

Its already mentiond that it only works with s-off

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest tiknetai

Ubuntu 12.04, htc one x JB 3.14.401.27, unlocked bootloader, hboot 1.36. This is the only method that worked for me.

Custom recovery's were keeping on restarting my device all the time. Now will try to install any recovery on a rooted device.

Thank you!

Edited by tiknetai