Is ebay the only place to get a Vega now?

Guest peps1

Guest peps1

Hey guys, when I finally decided to get a tab I really liked Advent Vega with its sub £200 price point, big screen size, good CPU and community driven ROMS.

But just as I went to buy one the other week, seems its been discontinued in all there shops! dont really want to get a second hand unit, so was wondering if ebay was the only option, or is there was anything close it the Vega out at the moment?

Guest IanTurner

Yup.

New advent storm tablet out in September possibly.

Same generic tablet base is used by one of the POV Mobii and Viewsonic Viewtab models though they're available in limited

supplies from all sorts.

If you have to buy a tablet at the moment I'd go for the 7" Blackberry playbook unless you fancy one of the generic chinese

tablets at the lower end some of which have fairly active support groups.

Guest ursulavasey

My partner bought 2 different Chinese tablets, just to use as projects (rooting/modding, etc) and in both cases, the wi-fi wouldn't maintain a connection. Sometimes they would connect briefly, before losing the connection again. Reboots didn't fix the problem, nor did installing new roms. We are no strangers to tweaking tablets, phones, etc, but we couldn't get these tablets to work properly. Both were returned for refunds. Other problems were apparent too, such as generally poor build quality, unresponsive screens, etc.

He may have been unlucky, having simply purchased two duds, but if you buy cheapies like this, it is the chance you take. We think the wi-fi problem may have been due to the fact that, as the tablets were Chinese, they were running on Chinese wi-fi frequencies, which are at odds with ours in the UK.

The choice is yours, as to whether you buy a cheap Chinese import, but hopefully this information may help you in your decision-making.

Guest peps1

I'd go for the 7" Blackberry playbook unless you fancy one of the generic chinese

tablets at the lower end some of which have fairly active support groups.

Was looking at the Blackberry, but the screens not much bigger then my Samsung Galaxy note :( and 5 month is a hell of a wait too

My partner bought 2 different Chinese tablets, just to use as projects (rooting/modding, etc) and in both cases, the wi-fi wouldn't maintain a connection. Sometimes they would connect briefly, before losing the connection again. Reboots didn't fix the problem, nor did installing new roms. We are no strangers to tweaking tablets, phones, etc, but we couldn't get these tablets to work properly. Both were returned for refunds. Other problems were apparent too, such as generally poor build quality, unresponsive screens, etc.

He may have been unlucky, having simply purchased two duds, but if you buy cheapies like this, it is the chance you take. We think the wi-fi problem may have been due to the fact that, as the tablets were Chinese, they were running on Chinese wi-fi frequencies, which are at odds with ours in the UK.

The choice is yours, as to whether you buy a cheap Chinese import, but hopefully this information may help you in your decision-making.

Thanks, think I will keep away from the Chinese imports then.

So that leave me with a long wait without a tablet then! :(

Guest everett_psycho

I'm not certain on this but I swear I saw a Vega in our local curry's 2 weeks ago for £180 so there might be some out there still. If it helps it was in the one in isleworth

Guest IanTurner

New ? As in supply I assume as this is the viewsonic viewpad I referred to earlier (note android 2.2).

I'd recommend hanging on for a bit as this technology is getting long in the tooth now.