720p MKV (x264) video - low performance

Guest ovecka

Guest ovecka

I am sort of dissappointed about the 720p playback of G300. I've got a 3,5mb bitrate video (GoT episode) and it's virtually unwatchable with MX player. Is there a way to watch it without the need to decode the MKV?

Guest ovecka

It's an old Class 2 card. I'm going to try to copy the movie to the internal memory.

EDIT: Nah, It's the same from the internal memory.

Edited by ovecka

Guest Mrian

isnt the g300 800x400 pix

thats 320 pixels over kill with a 720p film

480p would be over kill....

just use a 480 p video should run smooth too

Guest ovecka

Of course I could do that but that would require recoding or redownloading the video. My goal was to avoid that and simply use the movies I've downloaded before.

Guest mark ryan

quick question also, can this phone easily run 720p MP4 movies? i cunnently own a zte blade and that struggles with 480p mp4! simple yes or no please :P

Guest Mrian

you could batch encode all of your videos into 480p....

720p wont show on a 480p screen maybe theres a way to down grade the pix ratio within a media player.

• 1 year later...
Guest akarana

quick question also, can this phone easily run 720p MP4 movies?

Simple answer: sort of. The player and H264 decoder can easily scale it to fit the 480p screen.

Longer answer: The OP's 3.5Mb/s has too much data, too fast a bitrate, so it chokes and gives jumpy playback. When I was encoding 720p for web playback I always set it to the slowest that gave a reasonable quality. Sure, this is a subjective test, I used 2Mb/s. But this G300 phone has to scale as well as playback, so my 2Mb/s .MP4 are right at the limit of watchability. But then I've been watching too much old 8:3 anime :P

Another problem with high bitrate movies is the different decoding overheads of the different wrappers, eg. MKV, FLV, AVI, M4V etc.