A Good Custom Rom for my Dell XCD28/ZTE Racer

Guest sparshtiwari

Guest sparshtiwari

Heya Frnds its onna be my 1st try to install a custom rom on my phone so can u plzz help me to choose wich 1 is best nd can u give me Some Step By Ste instruction so that my fone is not bricked ... i hav heard dat the Rexchun 2.3.4 roms are gud as dey r having gud touch for d racer so plz help i m having d indian version of ZTE Racerd rebranded by Dell as Dell XCD28...

Guest equiliym

there is no best for this rom if you want 2.3, they are all nightly, you should try few of them and see which ones works best for you.. B02 is the best for sensitivity, yes but its older and it has battery issues if i remember correctly, every rom has its own pros and cons so thats totally what works best for you.. i use my miui, it works perfect for me but others have issues etc etc etc

Guest sparshtiwari

there is no best for this rom if you want 2.3, they are all nightly, you should try few of them and see which ones works best for you.. B02 is the best for sensitivity, yes but its older and it has battery issues if i remember correctly, every rom has its own pros and cons so thats totally what works best for you.. i use my miui, it works perfect for me but others have issues etc etc etc

What Are The Pros And Cons Of the miui rom u use...

Guest equiliym

eats memory if not set up properly, stock launcher can get laggy because of it, launcher resized from HDPI to LDPI so some widgets can appear bigger because of it.. cant think of anything else..

Guest sparshtiwari

eats memory if not set up properly, stock launcher can get laggy because of it, launcher resized from HDPI to LDPI so some widgets can appear bigger because of it.. cant think of anything else..

Ohkk Thnx fr dose well m thinking to try the rexchun rom as it has d bst sensitivity... jst last 1 can u send me d instructions to install rexchun custom rom b02(english) on my dell xcd28

Guest equiliym

here, this is taken from racerboys thread:

Usual installation method:

1.Copy the rom to the root of your sdcard

2.Backup your old ROM, so if anything is broken you can just rollback!!!

How to backup:

Press powerbutton and VolumeDown (leave volume down pressed). After afew seconds, recovery will open

With volume keys, go to "backup and restore". Select that option

Now select "Backup" and wait

3.Once backup complete press power button to go back to main menu

4.Select "wipe data/factory reset"

5.Go to submenu "mounts and storage"

6.Choose "format /boot" "format /data" "format /cache" "format /system" "format /sd-ext" - confirm every action

7.Return to 1st menu and goto Advanced and delete Dalvik cache

8.Return to 1st menu and choose "install zip from sdcard" - "choose zip" cm7_2.3.5/7_RACER_full_***

9.After installing, do "reboot system now"

Guest redhawkuk

All Android 2.3 ROMs are based on CM7 so you pretty much get the same internals but dressed differently however they all suffer from a few issues:

-low audio volume

-digital compass does not show true north

-wifi and bluetooth devices don't play nice at the same time

-built-in wifi tethering never works (you need 3rd party apps)

As for b02 I found the touch sensitivity the worse of all the ROMs perhaps I was just unlucky.

I couldn't scroll very well from basic settings menu to web pages however if it works for you then good.

If you want other ROMs to try I would recommend Racerboy's "LeWa ROM 12.01.06" and Racerboy's "#252 ICS Mod Deadlink Kernel".

When you get Clockworkmod installed make sure you backup your existing system first just in case you need to roll back.

Richard S.

Guest sparshtiwari

If you need Clockworkmod get it from here http://www.modaco.co...ockworkmod-gui/ this version works with the touch screen and buttons.

Just make sure you start recovery mode via [Volume Down + Power] if you reboot into recovery mode via software the dialler buttons don't work for some reason.

Richard S.

Ohkk Thnx For the info. isnt there a solution for the audio nd wifi bt problem as i use both of dem a lot...

Guest redhawkuk

The audio with CM7 isn't too bad although not as loud as I would like it for headphones at least you have a graphic equaliser (DSP) for headphones, speaker and Bluetooth audio to compensate.

As for the Bluetooth / Wifi conflicts this affects all CM7 builds Racer / Blade I did however notice that deadlink's kernel seems to cope better but not perfectly.

Basically when streaming Bluetooth audio your wifi bandwidth suffers on the flip side if you're using wifi the Bluetooth audio can sometimes stutter.

The only viable solution for this problem would be to disable Bluetooth and use an external Bluetooth audio dongle until Cyanogenmod fixes this issue.

Richard S.

Guest sparshtiwari

The audio with CM7 isn't too bad although not as loud as I would like it for headphones at least you have a graphic equaliser (DSP) for headphones, speaker and Bluetooth audio to compensate.

As for the Bluetooth / Wifi conflicts this affects all CM7 builds Racer / Blade I did however notice that deadlink's kernel seems to cope better but not perfectly.

Basically when streaming Bluetooth audio your wifi bandwidth suffers on the flip side if you're using wifi the Bluetooth audio can sometimes stutter.

The only viable solution for this problem would be to disable Bluetooth and use an external Bluetooth audio dongle until Cyanogenmod fixes this issue.

Richard S.

thanks a lot i m going to try it soon

Guest sparshtiwari

Richard S.

hey i just forget to ask 1 thing that is the 3g connectivity going to work like before after the 2.3 update..

Guest redhawkuk

I can't comment on voice calls however the internet works fine with this ROM furthermore I can wifi tether with wpa2 encryption instead of just wep using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether (set to Blade profile).

If internet doesn't work make sure data is enabled since Android 2.2+ has the ability to switch data on / off from the Power Control widget.

Richard S.

Guest redhawkuk

sidebyside.jpg

Handset on the left is running Android 2.3.7 CM7 ICS mod connected to mobile internet from 3 UK and wifi tethering.

Handset on the right is running Android 2.1 in airplane mode and connected to the left handset via wifi both loaded with facebook zero.

Richard S.

Guest manoz85

hi all.

i hv zte link bought from france.

i hv rooted it nd installed cwm on it.

i am not able to find ny rom tht is usable with this phone.

i hv tried the following roms nd some more also but they didnt work on my phone.

senseracer2.3-r1

cm7_2.3.7_Racer_full_swap-224v2

ny help...?

thnx in advance ..

Guest sparshtiwari

hi all.

i hv zte link bought from france.

i hv rooted it nd installed cwm on it.

i am not able to find ny rom tht is usable with this phone.

i hv tried the following roms nd some more also but they didnt work on my phone.

senseracer2.3-r1

cm7_2.3.7_Racer_full_swap-224v2

ny help...?

thnx in advance ..

have u tried the #257 no swap cm7 nightlies

Guest sparshtiwari

sidebyside.jpg

Handset on the left is running Android 2.3.7 CM7 ICS mod connected to mobile internet from 3 UK and wifi tethering.

Handset on the right is running Android 2.1 in airplane mode and connected to the left handset via wifi both loaded with facebook zero.

Richard S.

heya to use CWM i need to install a recovre manger am i ryt ?? Edited by sparshtiwari

Guest redhawkuk

I never bother with recovery managers I just flash the recovery image with fastboot for this you need the Racer USB drivers and Android SDK installed or a copy of fastboot.exe at hand.

Download the image from http://ftpb.free.fr/downloads/download.php?file=photom_cwm_fastboot_racer.zip and extract the image file recovery_racer_experiment.img

Next put the Racer into fastboot mode by turning off, Power + Volume Up when successful the green Android logo should persist on the screen, now connect the USB lead.

Open a command shell / DOS Prompt and enter the following:

fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery_racer_experiment.img

fastboot.exe reboot

This version of CWM is nice but refrain from using the "reboot to recovery" option with CM7 the call buttons don't work you must start recovery from off, Power + Volume Down.

Richard S.

Guest sparshtiwari

I never bother with recovery managers I just flash the recovery image with fastboot for this you need the Racer USB drivers and Android SDK installed or a copy of fastboot.exe at hand.

Download the image from http://ftpb.free.fr/...tboot_racer.zip and extract the image file recovery_racer_experiment.img

Next put the Racer into fastboot mode by turning off, Power + Volume Up when successful the green Android logo should persist on the screen, now connect the USB lead.

Open a command shell / DOS Prompt and enter the following:

fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery_racer_experiment.img

fastboot.exe reboot

This version of CWM is nice but refrain from using the "reboot to recovery" option with CM7 the call buttons don't work you must start recovery from off, Power + Volume Down.

Richard S.

can u give me d link 2 the Zte racer USB Drivers...

Guest redhawkuk

I'm using drivers provided by Ricky Wyatt - http://www.mediafire.com/?ykgdrddb8gygrpr it comes with a CWM fastboot image but it's too old for installing Gingerbread CM7 based ROMs.

Since it come with fastboot.exe you should be able to flash the new CWM fastboot image without the need for installing the Android SDK as well.

Richard S.