[ROM][ZTE Skate - Android 2.3.5] H3 Blues (Official Dolby Audio)

Guest H3ROS

Guest H3ROS

Gr8 work !! Does the signal icon show arrows when mobile data is on ??

Inside of the other icon? No, as that's not possible on Gingerbread. It wouldn't be an easy thing to backport and then convert to smali so that I can make use of it either. So it'll display the data incoming and outgoing icons next to it, but with spacing that looks better than what's seen in other Gingerbread ROM's.

@ C3C0

It looks like a great solution for many of the foreign handsets which is why I mentioned it. It sure beats smali editing specific applications as you can dynamically patch applications such as the Play Store, which of course is really useful.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest emilpoul

Ceco, haven't apply your new rom yet to my w8, but, could you make a root box for it, ..... pleaseeee........:rolleyes::D

Guest jtharmor

Inside of the other icon? No, as that's not possible on Gingerbread. It wouldn't be an easy thing to backport and then convert to smali so that I can make use of it either. So it'll display the data incoming and outgoing icons next to it, but with spacing that looks better than what's seen in other Gingerbread ROM's.

@ C3C0

It looks like a great solution for many of the foreign handsets which is why I mentioned it. It sure beats smali editing specific applications as you can dynamically patch applications such as the Play Store, which of course is really useful.

Looks good for release.........whats the plan ? Battery will always be better for ppl since it will be better than ICS and JB !!

Guest H3ROS

There's still things unfinished and small bugs I need to address such as the text count being white in the messaging app when using a white background.

Remember I only work on this in my free time, and I'm pushed for free time right now.

Guest phillgates

Well I've given this ROM a good work out, and while it's perfect in so many ways, it's let down by some issues with storage management, I have never had a ROM as this one, clog up so quickly and run out of space on the internal storage, even with the use of Link2SD? The internal data disappears very quickly with the minimum of apps installed. I have a strong suspicion than Link2SD is not working correctly with this ROM, but then maybe it is not Link2SD, but something going wrong with the Dalvik cash not flushing or updating, anyway far too many 'out of space' issues with this, I'm afraid, 'Skatie' is still the best in my view!................. :ph34r:

Guest H3ROS

The dalvik cache is tweaked, but not by much. And swappiness is disabled to increase speed, but that shouldn't effect space either.

The ROM disables any system cache and will instead create a temporary 35MB cache, and it does that so that if you're using a 150MB system partition with a 2MB cache you'll still be able to download from the Play Store. That should leave you with a fair amount of internal memory too. In fact, my new ROM which is based off of H3 Blues has 11 applications installed and I've still got 110MB of free memory which is exactly what's expected for the Skate.

I don't bother using any scrips or Link2SD so I can't confirm if it's working or not, but it should. So out of interest what TPT do you have applied?

Guest H3ROS

Currently most of the discussion in this thread is about my newer ROM, which is based off of this ROM, so it's not too bad. Plus once I've released my newer ROM I also plan on updating H3B not long after so that it benefits from some of the changes I've made while working on my newer ROM. So that'll include better memory management, some different applications and an audio routing fix for applications like Skype and Viber.

Over the weekend I finished some work on the camera application. The camera preview area is now larger than whats seen in many other Gingerbread ROM's and I've also made the volume up button take pictures with a focus ring and the volume down button refocus on the current area. This can help deliver some better quality pictures :)

Edited by H3ROS

Guest H3ROS

It's the Gingerbread camera rethemed with the hardware keys added in. For that reason it also has working flash.

There's an applications on the market for an ICS style camera, but the application is laggy and requires network permissions for adverts.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest jtharmor

Currently most of the discussion in this thread is about my newer ROM, which is based off of this ROM, so it's not too bad. Plus once I've released my newer ROM I also plan on updating H3B not long after so that it benefits from some of the changes I've made while working on my newer ROM. So that'll include better memory management, some different applications and an audio routing fix for applications like Skype and Viber.

Over the weekend I finished some work on the camera application. The camera preview area is now larger than whats seen in many other Gingerbread ROM's and I've also made the volume up button take pictures with a focus ring and the volume down button refocus on the current area. This can help deliver some better quality pictures :)

Cool :)

Guest phillgates

The dalvik cache is tweaked, but not by much. And swappiness is disabled to increase speed, but that shouldn't effect space either.

The ROM disables any system cache and will instead create a temporary 35MB cache, and it does that so that if you're using a 150MB system partition with a 2MB cache you'll still be able to download from the Play Store. That should leave you with a fair amount of internal memory too. In fact, my new ROM which is based off of H3 Blues has 11 applications installed and I've still got 110MB of free memory which is exactly what's expected for the Skate.

I don't bother using any scrips or Link2SD so I can't confirm if it's working or not, but it should. So out of interest what TPT do you have applied?

35mb cash, 200mb system, and 205mb data!....................... :D

Edited by phillgates

Guest H3ROS

I would question if it's the cache redirect, possibly in combination with an application you've got installed that I don't.

In the 06blues init.d script theres this line towards the bottom:

if [ $CACHESIZE != "35M" ]; then
The improvement in my newer ROM is to simply change it to this:
if [ $CACHESIZE = "2M" ]; then

That'll make the ROM use your 35MB cache unless it's detected that you've got the smaller 2MB cache.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest Viento del Sur

I would question if it's the cache redirect, possibly in combination with an application you've got installed that I don't.

In the 06blues init.d script theres this line towards the bottom:

if [ $CACHESIZE != "35M" ]; then
The improvement in my newer ROM is to simply change it to this:
if [ $CACHESIZE = "2M" ]; then

That'll make the ROM use your 35MB cache unless it's detected that you've got the smaller 2MB cache.

Great idea, I like it. Easy and efficient because It particularly benefits those who never haven't changed their factory TPT, and lost her cache and also some ram. I think a lot users never change the TPT ... And although that one time not believed me, I assure you that the TPT factory is 162 data-64cache-220 system (at least in my country).

However, as we know for sure that 35 is not enough for some apps (especially games), I might have to think about other solutions ... Have you thought about mounting the cache on the sd, for example?

Guest H3ROS

Nice & smooth. I like it. Is possible vibrate in dialer?

I've got this working as of today :)

Great idea, I like it. Easy and efficient because It particularly benefits those who never haven't changed their factory TPT, and lost her cache and also some ram. I think a lot users never change the TPT ... And although that one time not believed me, I assure you that the TPT factory is 162 data-64cache-220 system (at least in my country).

However, as we know for sure that 35 is not enough for some apps (especially games), I might have to think about other solutions ... Have you thought about mounting the cache on the sd, for example?

That was the goal, to save some memory for them who haven't changed their TPT.

I was thinking about extending the 35MB cache, but I think I'll leave that as it is and maybe offer an addon to extend the cache. That and/or I'll offer the ROM in TPT format with a 64MB cache as standard.

I try to avoid linking any system data or caches to the SD card as that can use up writes and then you could end up with a dead SD card.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest Viento del Sur

Not a good idea to offer a rom on a TPT, that does not tend to like people. It is true that many people have not changed it, but it is also true that if you have a custom TPT, do not want another...

On one hand, I myself made an addon to increase (for 1 boot) to increase the cache to 75mb. It is available for all (http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=490694)

But ... thinking seriously about the matter ... I think it is an empty argument, because android is poorly designed caching for downloads ... Why "reserve" consistently an amount of precious nand memory (64, 35, 3tc) in the case of a space "temporary" for downloads ...? Precisely for that there is TMPFS partitions..., occupying the ram in a dynamic (as needed) and always starting with the tail in the assignment of data to memory pages ... But ... even Linux itself uses tmpfs for temporary caches (/ tmp)!!

However, (you think about it), Messrs. android's programmers have no problem in creating a monster tmpfs partition called /dev of 209MB (which of course is used for temporary purposes). Can see it with a simple command df.

All this does not make sense ... For my part, I think the best option is to opt for a tpt of 2mb cache and mount it into /dev/cache. I'm convinced. I will try it now.

Guest H3ROS

I've not tried linking anything to /dev/ as I don't know how safe it is.

Here's a script (02dalvik2cache.zip) that does it already: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1638962

As for the ROM image having 64MB cache, that does have an advantage though as it's something that should work for everyone and you then don't have the overhead a script would from the redirects. It's also a good way for people to recover their phones from a bad flash :)

Edited by H3ROS

Guest Viento del Sur

It is very simple, this solves it all:

if [$ CACHESIZE != "64M"], then

mount-t tmpfs-o size = 64M, (...)

If you modified it in 06blues, solve all cases....

Some people are very clear that a tpt of 2mb cache gives 62 mb more in /data. Do not force a factory stock, not like ...

Edited by Viento del Sur

Guest H3ROS

That creates a temporary cache, but you don't claim back the 35MB or less so it becomes washed space. I think anyway, and if true then you suck up 64MB of memory too.

Speaking of memory issues though, what application has issues downloading with the 35MB cache? I've personally never experienced issues.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest Viento del Sur

No, that does not suck ram... or perhaps /dev remove 209 mb of ram?

you can also use

if [$ CACHESIZE = "64M" || $ CACHESIZE = "35M"], then

exit

else

mount ...

However, these 35 mb are very valuable for mobile speed, moving part of the dalvik. For example, we distribute dailvik (a part) between free space /system and those 35mb. I a long time ago to move the dalvik (only for dalvik.system) to /system/dalvik with a script that I create for your h3 .... I can share it without problem. That gives more overall speed and steady wins the mobile and memory for data ...

Edited by Viento del Sur

Guest H3ROS

I personally use a 150MB TPT with 2MB cache. My new ROM currently uses about 133MB of that 150MB, so if the dalvik cache was moved to system then it would only have 17MB to work with, which isn't enough as my dalvik cache is currently 77MB.

It can be very hard to balance the memory out as some people would rather tweaks that try to improve responsiveness and some would rather have more room for applications. That's why at the moment I've made it work via the persons current TPT layout, but have customized the cache size for only the people with a 2MB cache. So if you've got 64MB then you'll still have 64MB and if you've got 32MB you'll still have 32MB, but if you've got 2MB then it'll create a temporary 64MB cache. So if there is waste then you'd only waste 2MB at most.

All I can say is that my new ROM may not be as smooth as Jelly Bean, but it is fast for Gingerbread. I'd also go as far as saying that it's the most functional Gingerbread ROM in my opinion as it includes an audio routing fix and I've improved things like the dialer and camera. I'm still trying to do more though.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest H3ROS

I'm working on it mostly during the weekends now and I'm happy with the progress being made during this final clean up.

This weekend getting the dialer to look right and function how I wanted it to, plus fixing haptic feedback was one of the most challenging things I've had to do so far. And I know I could of taken the easy way out and included ExDialer and Contacts, but I like to use full functioning stock apps.

One difference people will pick up on is that I've opted to use black rather then shaded colours in areas. The reason for that is so that scrolling is smoother and the applications should technically require a little less memory to run.

Guest Viento del Sur

....Speaking of memory issues though, what application has issues downloading with the 35MB cache? I've personally never experienced issues.

Sorry, have not seen you ...

Remember, I told you that already (and illustrated) in post # 47 of Nitroglass . And I'm not alone, believe me...