Crackling sound from the plastic case

Guest ovecka

Guest ovecka

It's been noticable from the very first time I opened the back to insert the SIM card. I can even feel the black lower parts moving under my fingers when I push them a little. I expected some worse manufacturing compared to the metal cased phones but the sound it makes while I am using it is annoying at least . Can it be a reason to bring the phone back to Vodafone or it's the price we all have to pay for the low price?

Guest Davidoff59

I get creaks down near the capacitive buttons. It sometimes sounds sticky like the digitiser is loose or something. The Zte Blade was built much better in my opinion but the screen and CPU are better on this.

Guest Muznyu

I get crackling noises from all over the chassis, which is really annying for me. I used some tape on the battery to fit it more tightly which helped a bit, but it's still giving some noises. I plan to buy a silicone cover like this, I hope it will sort out the problem.

Guest Muznyu

That looks like a good way to solve it. Where do they sell it?

I ordered mine from ebay yesterday (the MF cover), if you search for "g300 cover" you will find various types of them. The price range for that soft type is around 8-9 bucks. I used a sillicone cover for my Moto Defy before, and I find it a good way to protect the phone, but still keep the usability.

Edited by Muznyu

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

No, mine us rock solid. I play games mostly all the time and also used it to phone call for an hour or so without experiencing crackling.

The sound is crisp clear without using any additional cases.

Guest Davidoff59

Blazingspeed, this refers to the phone housing itself, which creaks in places. Mine creaks near the capacitive buttons.

Guest FrankieADZ

i do yeah cracking sounds....but i hear that sort of stuff with most of my stuff every once in a while or at 1 time

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

Blazingspeed, this refers to the phone housing itself, which creaks in places. Mine creaks near the capacitive buttons.

Oh that! :o

Yeah I get that too when pressing the plastic cover at the back. Not at the center of the cover, but just below the Huawei logo. Also at the edges of the plastic parts. But it's a small noise, not a big one. I can get over it.

Even though I did find it annoying at first. I believe mostly all phones that are made out of plastic material cause some sort of noise either more or a less. You'll get adapted to it eventually. Even my Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard has this issue with the spacebar making a slight noise from the very beginning, but more like a metallic effect. Went to PC World and noticed the sample G11 had the exact same issue. Eventually I got used to it and am using it for the last 2 years with no problems.

The G300 plastic noise is nothing as annoying as the G11 Keyboard. If I can adapt myself to the G11 spacebar noise, then for me adapting to the mobile phone should be even easier!

But of-course if others are having the attitude of being too perfectionist then yes this plastic noise will make them unhappy... I just wouldn't care about it. If we get annoyed so easily from the small things, we'll never be happy in life. ;)

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

Well I've got some good news to tell you with regards to the crackling/squeak noise! :D

Like the OP I was left annoyed with the plastic noise from all over the chassis, particularly from the edges.

I realised the more I was playing games I was noticing it more while touching the glass screen. It felt like as if it was not properly stuck. Especially in Modern Combat 3 where the small run button was at the very bottom middle of the screen. When I was pressing hold of it to sprint it was making this noise as if the glass screen wasn't strongly stuck.

So the solution was quite simple. I didn't use any other cover cases, etc. I opened the back plastic cover and in there if you notice at the edges there are 3 tiny black screws.

I had a bag with full of screwdrivers. So I went and found a set of small screwdrivers. You need to find an exact one that really does fit inside so it grips to it. Then get a cloth to wrap around the holder of your screwdriver and tightly turn the screws hard! It will tighten it so hardly, that now surprise, surprise. All the noise vanished!:D

Try that and see for yourself. It improved the situation quite a lot, okay maybe there is a slight noise still. But 80% of it has now gone!

Now my Ascend G300 feels a lot more robust!:)

Guest Muznyu

Hmm, that's good news! I was thinking to check those screws, but I'm missing that size from my screwdrivers, of course... Which is the proper size?

Anyway, this could explain why some of the users don't have problem with the build quality, while others hear crackling noises. :)

Edited by Muznyu

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

I don't know which is the proper size. I just had a set of small screwdrivers and I tested with the smallest ones and found one of them which fits best in those black screws!

I was just so annoyed of the sound eventually. That I decided to turn them screws very tightly. And I felt that they were moving more tightly, even though it felt as if they were tight already, but weren't tight enough to get rid of those squeaky noises from the plastic cover.

Now as I am playing PES 2012, etc I don't feel this noise anymore!!!:D

Anyway, I guess that's indeed the reason why some people like myself experienced noises, while others more fortunate had their G300 screws tight enough already. It seems like some G300 phones from manufacturer weren't having screws tight enough.

Guest Muznyu

Don't you have any sign on the screwdriver? It should be like T3 or T4, I guess one of them is the right size. I hope someone can tell me the exact type, cause I have to look after a cheap one. :)

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

Don't you have any sign on the screwdriver? It should be like T3 or T4, I guess one of them is the right size. I hope someone can tell me the exact type, cause I have to look after a cheap one. :)

Just checked and found out it's 301-T5. In fact I found the picture of the exact same screw driver.

20091029091518.jpg

This is exactly the one I used with the red holder.

AscendG300-HandsOn-12-580-100.jpg

Just found a picture on the net of the back cover. Those black screws as you can see near the battery and there's one other black screw like that in the top left which didn't came out in this picture. Tightly turn the screws to your right. Now you'll see that it feels a lot more tight as a whole. The squeaky noise should go away. :P

Guest ovecka

Good Job. I was thinking about this as well but I didn't know anyone with this set of screwdrivers. Guess I will try harder this time. :)

Guest Muznyu

I just bought a T5 screwdriver, and I gently tightened the screws. It helped a lot, it's still not perfect, but the noises are negligible compared to the previous state. I'm quite happy now, I think with the rubber cover it'll be perfect. :)

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

I am glad to hear that this has improved the noise of your phone.:D

Yeah, I think the rest of the noise is negligible. Before it was more annoying, it felt as if the glass screen was moving somewhat.

My T5 screwdriver that I showed an image of it yesterday isn't that good as it's got a plastic handle that just slips from my fingers. I needed to actually wrap it with tissue so that I could strongly grip on it and tightly turn the screw.

Make sure also that you (hold the glass) pushed towards the cover while tightening the screws at the same time.That way it will be more tightly fixed towards the cover case. Otherwise you might notice the glass screen being loose wobbling slightly when applying more pressure on the screen.