GPS Questions.

Guest Chazmeister

Guest Chazmeister

One of the primary applications I want to use my phone for is as a Sat Nav. Currently I'm running Co Pilot Premium on the phone for my Sat Nav software. For the GPS fix I'm using just the "Use GPS satellites" option without the wireless or Quick GPS enabled. Currently it seems to take about 5 minutes or more for it to get an initial fix, which seems like quite a long time to me. Also on a recent trip up from the South West up to Derby the other day the GPS signal started repeatedly dropping out on my approach to Derby as I went through the Lichfield/Burton area. Same on the way back in the same area, I had lots of signal drop out, causing me to have to pull over on 2 occasions to check the map to see where I was supposed to be going. Once back on the M42 it was fine all the way back home. I don't know why it didn't like that particular area. I've recently used it for getting around the middle of the Forest of Dean with no problem what so ever, and that's hilly country with tall forests. Drove through the middle of Burton though and got nothing.

So, in what ways can I improve the GPS signal and the speed of it's pickup?

If I use the Quick GPS option will I need a data package for it to work, ie will it eat into a data allocation or does it just ping the phone network as it were to get a location with no data cost? If I do enable the Quick GPS will it make much of a difference anyway?

Can you get plugin GPS aerial boosters that fit in the headphones socket, or anything like that?

Any recomendations?

Guest ovecka

That's weird. I am using my phone for geocaching (Trekbuddy) and as a car navigation (iGO MyWay) and so far I've been amazed by it's functionality. It works great. The fix is almost instant (10s on average) and signal losses are rare even in forests. Have you tried some other nav programs?

Guest Davidoff59

booster aerials usually plug into a tiny gold coloured socket and I doubt the phone has that socket. I think its more for the phone signal though.

From a cold boot in a new location, I had my location in 19 seconds which is quicker than my dedicated sat nav.

you could try using wifi and GPS as wifi helps location lock on. I'm not sure if you will be charged using quick GPS.

I'm pretty sure there are Bluetooth GPS receivers that you can connect to your phone via bluetoith and use that instead of the inbuilt GPS chip.

Guest Davidoff59

waze is a good GPS navigation tool. with data connected, it will show real time traffic jams and slow moving traffic from other wazers. You can also report speed cameras and speed traps to warn other motorists

Guest eirlysbill1

When I had my Blade, I installed a patch that was posted in the Blade forum. I'm sure it's was a link that took you to XDA. I used it on the Blade (although at the time I don't think it was a listed device for that patch), and I think it really sped up the connection time, so I don't think it was a placebo. I haven't looked but I'm sure I loaded in on G300 (no issues have arose from it), but I haven't had much chance to test it. Just tried searching the Blade site, but I couldn't find it sorry...

PS: just looked on the G300 it's there, and the file name is: agps.patch.google.build.cwm.v3

Hope that helps

PSS: just thinking some more... I think what this patch did was speed up the way the phone used mobile towers to find location, thus making it easier for the satellites to connect?? I think that's what agps is all about (mobile towers)?

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest Chazmeister

Thanks for the help, I shall have a look into some of those suggestions. I shall try turning on the data connection via the Quick GPs option and see how much that speeds things up.

Can't see any UK download for iGo MyWay, apart from torrents of course.

Guest FrownBreaker

Even without 3g data you can enable wifi as things like Google Maps use Wifi triangulation.

You can also force Google Maps / Navigation to cache the journey.

This is the Lab post with download links

http://googlemobile.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/download-map-area-added-to-labs-in.html

But the routing is done on their servers so you need a connection for a return journey.

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/357600-why-does-google-maps-need-data-connection-routing.html

I think a dedicated off line GPS package make sense for folk with no data (e.g. most of us are like this on Holiday)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest doley

has anyone else had any problems with endomondo lately?i used it for a few weeks and had pretty accurate results but the last few days it's either taken ages to locate sattelite or not been as precise with its reults and ended before ive stopped it.i can't remeber if i had quick gps enabled as now i don't and was wondering if it made a difference and is quick gps free?

Guest Coffer52

You want to try the zte-skate_agps_patch.zip search the forum, I've been using it and it really speeds up the connection to the satellites.

Edited by Coffer52