ZTE popular way to update mobile phone-------SD card upgrade

Guest fly77girl87

Guest AmbushReality

I thought they were proprietary, close sourced and copyrighted and all that in the first place.. :/

I don't think they would be closed source, because that would make development come at a dead end. And I doubt something that important would be copyrighted

Guest BLu3HaZe

I don't think they would be closed source, because that would make development come at a dead end. And I doubt something that important would be copyrighted

If it's not closed, then the source should be published for devs to work on. So where is the source then?

Same story with Broadcomm I think.

Guest AmbushReality

If it's not closed, then the source should be published for devs to work on. So where is the source then?

Same story with Broadcomm I think.

simple answer. They're assholes who want people to beg for the source. Simples

Guest Reider59

simple answer. They're assholes who want people to beg for the source. Simples

Well that comment is really going to get some help and information from ZTE......

Guest AmbushReality

Well that comment is really going to get some help and information from ZTE......

Im not talking about ZTE im talking about Qualcomm

Guest fly77girl87

And you stay updated, forever :)

Yes, I provide the latest ZTE softwares, so all they are the updated news,otherwise it's meaningless to share with some old software or tools here.

Guest irishpancake

You have to ask what this young guy is at??...

Ambush Man..

you need to keep a check on what you publish here...

you know....engage brain first...then type!!

Guest irishpancake

Yes, I provide the latest ZTE softwares, so all they are the updated news,otherwise it's meaningless to share with some old software or tools here.

No doubt... but Psycho was talking about Tapa Talk....

you know, the Forum software for Android and other devices...

What are you actually talking about??

Guest fly77girl87

Dear ZTE Rep, while I appreciate your concern in providing after sales support, what I actually pointed out was that you had written about copying the update to the SD card and installing the same "update" regularly, as unacceptable advice. If you were installing the same package, it won't really be an update, would it?

Secondly, I strongly believe anyone with half a brain could look up the ZTE site and support sites through, and receive clear instructions how to update their phones and why they should. If that information is not readily available at your site, then you should seriously consider fixing that issue first.

Next, what I referred to as spam was not your mere post about the support site, but the opening of multiple topics saying the same thing. In the past week, we all have seen more than 10 new topics offering similar advice about updates and support from your company. As there is something called forum ethics, your actions have more or less bordered on spam, and anyway I believe we all found it irritating to go through so many threads with different topics, only to find the same thing.

Lastly, you should also keep in mind that while this forum is very famous throughout the internet for many smartphone related issues and modifications, only a handful of actual device users are present persistently in this forum, and those are mostly though not all, enthusiasts who like modding their phones and not keep it as stock. Therefore you're targeting a very limited audience who already knows what you say or just don't have any need of it. As the probability of someone finding this thread through Google or something is very slim. Hope I explained clearly what I meant, and that no offense was intended by calling you a spammer as I was only describing the behaviour of some ZTE support personnel in the last few days :)

Is this codec pack compatible for ICS? Forgive my limited knowledge in that area, but I was under the impression hardware support is implemented somewhat different to GB in ICS? Which is why I didn't mention that, along with it possibly being proprietary.

Anyhow, awesome if we get it going somehow

@fly77girl87 - Now this is something you could help us, your customers, greatly if you were able to obtain this.

OR you could try getting ZTE to develop an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update to the Crescent, as Dazzozo here has already proved we can run it and it's actually faster that Android 2.3 Gingerbread you shipped this with :P

Hi, thanks so much for your advice,we will take your advice into consideration.But it's not because our website isn't useful, we post here to make some enthusiasts know the latest information so that they can use the upgrade tool soon after the tool is released. Anyway ,thank you again for your good advice.

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

99% of people on the ZTE side of Modoco are interested in flashing custom ROM's so I don't think spamming information about doing updates are going to help you guys at all. We appreciate the fact you're offering after-sales support which is great but you're doing it in the completely wrong way. How about setting up your own forums and help out people when they need the help instead of flooding Modoco with the same useless threads? If you want to do something extremely helpful and useful then release the sources which the developers here would love to have their hands on, by doing this you're not only being very helpful, you're also helping to keep the community going and sell more devices.

No offence intended obviously, we just don't appreciate seeing the same threads appearing every day from ZTE Representatives, release the sources we need and we'll be happy as larry.

Guest BLu3HaZe

Err, Curtis? I think you may have accidentally repeated a bit of stuff said earlier :/ But indeed their own forum is a good suggestion.

@fly77girl87 - You're welcome and we all would greatly appreciate if you could do something to make our devs lives a little easier :)

As for letting enthusiasts know about the latest software update, unfortunately most of us here at MoDaCo will never use the stock firmware you offer because of many shortcomings, intense Orange branding and a lot of adware within the ROM itself which slows down beyond acceptable limits. The handset infact is well built for the very reasonable price point, and the hardware offers much more potential than it does with the Orange ROM especially, out of all Crescent firmware.

On a side note, if ZTE was supportive of custom firmware and open source drivers, the community would openly welcome your devices even more IMO :)

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

My bad, didn't bother reading the previous posts, just wanted to join with the ranting, I shall disappear now!

Guest BLu3HaZe

It's ok, no one needs to disappear, just pointed out a lil thing that may look a bit awkward

PS - I see that this method or similar has come handy for one person, but I feel Daz already knew it prior to this

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

What, Why are you quoting something I said in a completely different topic and talking rubbish?! Leave me alone!!!

We don't need your help here, unless you are going to help the devs here who give up their free time to make your products usable. Giving us advice on topics which we already know, and pointing us to the ZTE website which we already knew about, is NOT useful, it's just annoying and condescending.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest bladebuddy

I love this phone , but it really bothers me how much some people bite the hand that feeds them. Every time I look at this forum I see nasty remarks," Ambush reality is one of the worst offenders."

Good luck making you're forum a hit, I am selling mine as this is not what androids about.

Don't you see that the decent devs like raverrr e.t.c are not getting involved with your stupid argument

I know android is supposed to be open to all, but I wouldn't share it with you?

Guest BLu3HaZe

That, my friend, I feel is somewhat overreacting. There is no argument here, just pointed out to the ZTE person in a civilized way and they agree as we saw earlier, that their method of notifying about their support site is inefficient. It's done and through, no flame wars here.

Calm down people, and try not to misinterpret anything for the good of our forum :)

Guest bladebuddy
That, my friend, I feel is somewhat overreacting. There is no argument here, just pointed out to the ZTE person in a civilized way and they agree as we saw earlier, that their method of notifying about their support site is inefficient. It's done and through, no flame wars here.

Calm down people, and try not to misinterpret anything for the good of our forum :)

No I am sorry but your all shouting spam at them instead of thinking, we all use there phone's let's try and welcome them and maybe we could get some updates from them, as they have clearly come to a site full of zte users to offer updates, that would be the clever thing to do. Yes it got civilized a bit later, but ,I was brought up with the very true statement FIRST IMPRESSIONS LAST.

Guest bladebuddy
Whatever floats your boat :)

Um, what updates?

The online update through FTM mode for the 1000s of people who don't have a rooted phone.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

No I am sorry but your all shouting spam at them instead of thinking, we all use there phone's let's try and welcome them and maybe we could get some updates from them, as they have clearly come to a site full of zte users to offer updates, that would be the clever thing to do. Yes it got civilized a bit later, but ,I was brought up with the very true statement FIRST IMPRESSIONS LAST.

They've come to a site which gives much more info than they ever have/will and talked down to us, they released a phone which they have no intention to update and then mere months after they released more phones which they are going to update, why is this to be welcomed?

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest bladebuddy

They've come to a site which gives much more info than they ev have/will and talked down to us, they released a phone which they have no intention to update and then mere months after they released more phones which they are going to update, why is this to be welcomed?

This is not the only issue here, when other people like Pingy come to try and help out. Dazzoz jumps on him saying he trashing other peoples work, I certainly didn't read it that way, the funny thing is he say raverrr e.t.c puts in good work e.t.c,I remember a video on you tube of him promoting his rom on you tube in much the same way. Don't mean that in a nasty way raverrr you was just promoting your rom.It just seems that who ever comes offering help, all there getting are nasty comments. There's nothing I would like more then to see this phone take off like the blade but what I am seeing is why would anyone want to receive abuse for just trying to get this phone some much needed roms themes e.t.c

Guest fr0do

I think you're misrepresenting people badly there bb. Daz was commenting on pingu's baseless assertion that his rom was somehow faster than others which all included the enhancement patch/es to make that happen. You can't expect a false claim not to be fairly challenged surely? And despite this, pingu has still been warmly welcomed. Unlike you I am surprised at the friendliness, openness and willingness to help here. We do have some young members, and we do seem to have been plagued by Chinese spammers lately. I don't think these two threads about the SD upgrade method are spam, and of course we all welcome ZTE interest, which has been acknowledged, and that gratitude accepted by the ZTE reps. Threatening to throw your dummy out of the pram isn't helping to further that relationship. So to further your own goal surely you should stop arguing here.

Guest BLu3HaZe

The online update through FTM mode for the 1000s of people who don't have a rooted phone.

So we have 1000s of users on MoDaCo in the ZTE Crescent forum who have FTM only and absolutely love sticking to the stock firmware... Hmm, thanks for letting us know, news to me atleast.

Fact is, ZTE Rep himself accepted what we told in proper sense, saying they will take it into consideration, and even thanking us. That's done and over, lets move on and do something more productive :) This is a tech forum, not a stage drama.

I totally agree with fr0do, all Daz did was point out that demeaning others workand saying yours is best isn't exactly a very gentlemanly thing to do. I have not seen other devs here recommending their own work over others, giving us users, the choice depending on personal taste and expectations.

About the relative unpopularity of the Crescent unlike the Blade, it can be easily seen if you look at the Skate forum why this is so. The Blade had no competitor whatsoever. Crescent got to fight with its own sibling, and the only thing that's different is having a front camera, which also comes at the cost of having a smaller screen. That was the only reason I went for a OSFII instead of an OMC, to find the damn camera does nothing apart for taking photos. I expected Skype and also 3G calls over mobile network (not mobile data) like in all my old Sony Ericsson's, and it does nothing. Had I known this earlier, I'd not have thought twice about getting an OMC. Now I'm paying the price for not doing enough research before getting this phone, as I'm rarely even using this. But a fair reason for the Crescent to be relatively unpopular compared to it's predecessor.

And battery life is abysmal, it won't last more than 2.5-3 hours of continuous use, heats like hell if using HSPA, charging makes the phone an iron, among other things. So I still end up using my trusty old dumb SE's paired with a WM6 for everything

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Guest bladebuddy

What your all not seeing is ZTE want to advertise on this forum, that puts Paul O Brian in quiet a good position , if they want to advertise to the non root users it would cost very little, he is then in a good place to see what could be done for us.At the worst we put up with annoying posts. Who knows what the best could bring.

Guest bladebuddy

So we have 1000s of users on MoDaCo in the ZTE Crescent forum who have FTM only and absolutely love sticking to the stock firmware... Hmm, thanks for letting us know, news to me atleast.

Fact is, ZTE Rep himself accepted what we told in proper sense, saying they will take it into consideration, and even thanking us. That's done and over, lets move on and do something more productive :) This is a tech forum, not a stage drama.

I totally agree with fr0do, all Daz did was point out that demeaning others workand saying yours is best isn't exactly a very gentlemanly thing to do. I have not seen other devs here recommending their own work over others, giving us users, the choice depending on personal taste and expectations.

About the relative unpopularity of the Crescent unlike the Blade, it can be easily seen if you look at the Skate forum why this is so. The Blade had no competitor whatsoever. Crescent got to fight with its own sibling, and the only thing that's different is having a front camera, which also comes at the cost of having a smaller screen. That was the only reason I went for a OSFII instead of an OMC, to find the damn camera does nothing apart for taking photos. I expected Skype and also 3G calls over mobile network (not mobile data) like in all my old Sony Ericsson's, and it does nothing. Had I known this earlier, I'd not have thought twice about getting an OMC. Now I'm paying the price for not doing enough research before getting this phone, as I'm rarely even using this. But a fair reason for the Crescent to be relatively unpopular compared to it's predecessor.

And battery life is abysmal, it won't last more than 2.5-3 hours of continuous use, heats like hell if using HSPA, charging makes the phone an iron, among other things. So I still end up using my trusty old dumb SE's paired with a WM6 for everything

What are you going on about, and please find out what I am talking about before you post . That way you won't luck stupid.