MCR - MoDaCo.one for the HTC One X Tegra 3 (Sense + Vanilla) - NEW: more Vanilla, TeamViewer QS + more

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Thank you for this great Rom, Paul

When I open up HTC locations from the Car app, it will crash with a "unfortunately locations has stopped"

Is there any fix that I can try?

I've located the issue and will upload a fix shortly!

P

Guest huey-t

Everything looks correct, could you try now for me? Drop me a PM if you're still having an issues letting me know which server you are baking from.

Okay sweet, just tried baking another ROM and seems to be working now on the nigella server. Thanks Paul.

Guest fbriolini

Hi Paul, you wrote @ XDA that this is a non wipe install. Is this true also when coming from a custom ROM (in my case ARHD 6.0), or just when installing MCR on stock ROM? Thanks.

Guest Darren Richards

Great work. My first bake has worked wonderfully, no issues except those mentioned with the ICS lock screen needing to be unlocked when receiving a call, but I am going to bake a new ROM with this removed. So far everything is working well together and it is great to be rid of some bloat and have more vanilla ICS look and feel. Thanks again Paul :D

Guest mattkosem

Loving this from so far. I'm running with a repacked Franco R4 kernel on the vanilla rom, and it's working beautifully. I added in the advanced power menu and moved the menu button to a long press on home, and left it alone otherwise. Its rock solid and buttery smooth. Battery is sitting at 97% after being unplugged 8 hours with 3 min of screen on time.

Nice work.

--Matt

Edited by mattkosem

Guest mailman64

What is suppose to happen when I click bake? I'm not seeing any change and I waited for quite some time ( maybe 20 mins.). Not really sure what to look for.

Edited by mailman64

Guest huey-t

picked up another bug, not sure if it's been covered yet. I'm getting an FC error for the browser every so often. First one occurs when I'm doing the initial phone setup. Anyone else encountering this?

Guest PaulOBrien

picked up another bug, not sure if it's been covered yet. I'm getting an FC error for the browser every so often. First one occurs when I'm doing the initial phone setup. Anyone else encountering this?

HTC browser or ICS browser?

P

Guest huey-t

I'm not sure, I baked the ROM with both ICS and HTC browser. The FC isn't occurring when I'm opening up the browser, it happens randomly even when I don't have the browser app open. This also occurred on the vanilla pre-baked ROM (which I assume only had the ICS browser cooked in it).

Guest carthesis

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed - this can be installed using ROM Manager from the Android Market.

The ROM is installed at your own risk. The ROM should be installed using ClockworkMod. A wipe is NOT required to use this ROM if you are coming from either stock, or a previous MCR release.

Installation

To install this ROM:

• Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your the internal sd card (/sdcard/)
  • Restart your device in recovery mode
  • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
  • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to the internal sd card!
  • NOTE: If you are using a S-ON device (you probably are!), in line with other ROMs you need to manually 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' the boot image from the update zip due to HTC's restrictions.

First boot may take a while - be patient while it carries out it's pre-dexopt. It's worth it! :D

Paul - just to be clear, do we need ClockworkMod installed, or do we use the boot image in the zip file? Or both?

Guest dr_ysp

Paul - just to be clear, do we need ClockworkMod installed, or do we use the boot image in the zip file? Or both?

sorry to answer on paul's behalf,

yes both

Guest carthesis

sorry to answer on paul's behalf,

yes both

So let me get this completely straight, as installing the ROM on the OneX doesn't seem as straightforward as it always used to on the Desire:

1) You need to have unlocked the device through HTCDev

2) Once unlocked, you need to install ROMManager and ClockworkModRecovery

3) After CWM Rcovery is installed, you need to flash the SU apk

4) You then need to fastboot into the boot img included with the MCR download

5) From that boot img, you then 'install from zip' the MCR ROM

Is that basically correct? Don't you need root already to be able to get ROM Manager to install CWM?

Been a long time since I had to fiddle with an Android phone, so I'm very murky on the process - especially as the Desire was unlocked already, and could be rooted et al with a one-click process, which made things substantially easier.

I am desperate to get rid of the terrible, old, O2-branded software off my shiny new toy!

Guest mattkosem

I'm not sure, I baked the ROM with both ICS and HTC browser. The FC isn't occurring when I'm opening up the browser, it happens randomly even when I don't have the browser app open. This also occurred on the vanilla pre-baked ROM (which I assume only had the ICS browser cooked in it).

It's the stock android browser as far as I can tell. I noticed the same crash during initial setup, and once after on vanilla. It hasn't happened since though.

--Matt

So let me get this completely straight, as installing the ROM on the OneX doesn't seem as straightforward as it always used to on the Desire:

1) You need to have unlocked the device through HTCDev

2) Once unlocked, you need to install ROMManager and ClockworkModRecovery

3) After CWM Rcovery is installed, you need to flash the SU apk

4) You then need to fastboot into the boot img included with the MCR download

5) From that boot img, you then 'install from zip' the MCR ROM

Is that basically correct? Don't you need root already to be able to get ROM Manager to install CWM?

Been a long time since I had to fiddle with an Android phone, so I'm very murky on the process - especially as the Desire was unlocked already, and could be rooted et al with a one-click process, which made things substantially easier.

I am desperate to get rid of the terrible, old, O2-branded software off my shiny new toy!

I'm not sure you can get rid of O2 branding and locking on their network.

If you can (I don't know), then the process is basically

1) unlock bootloader : head to htcdev site

2) install recovery : some help here on part B

3) install the MCR : very same as here but with the MCR ROM

4) final step, ensure your can enter recovery from the bootloader : part H) and then part G) if you can't enter the recovery

Edited by a2b

Guest carthesis

I'm not sure you can get rid of O2 branding and locking on their network.

Not trying to get rid of the network lock - I'm on O2 and am happy to stay with them. I only want to de-brand the handset of the O2 specific software build. Much easier once you have fiddled with the bootloader!

Not trying to get rid of the network lock - I'm on O2 and am happy to stay with them. I only want to de-brand the handset of the O2 specific software build. Much easier once you have fiddled with the bootloader!

I should have been more specific : you have to ensure that you can flash the ROM provided here on a branded phone and that it won't brick your phone.

Guest PaulOBrien

It's the stock android browser as far as I can tell. I noticed the same crash during initial setup, and once after on vanilla. It hasn't happened since though.

--Matt

Noted, i'll check it out! :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

I've just updated the Locations APK in the kitchen which resolves the crash when launching from the Car app. I will shortly update the prebake, and also re-do the vanilla pre-bake to use the Sense lockscreen (as that seems to be the general preference until such time as I can pull in the stock dialler also!)

P

Guest carthesis

Anyone else had issues with Friendstream - I kept it installed so that the contact pictures would correctly link, but it seems to be having difficulty. When I try to open Friendstream, it tells me I'm not connected to any networks, and do I want to? You hit 'Yes', then nothing happens. No login, no account settings, nothing.

Thoughts?

It's something of a pain in the backside, as now the People app isn't suggesting contact links. This is bothersome.

Edited by carthesis

Guest PaulOBrien
Anyone else had issues with Friendstream - I kept it installed so that the contact pictures would correctly link, but it seems to be having difficulty. When I try to open Friendstream, it tells me I'm not connected to any networks, and do I want to? You hit 'Yes', then nothing happens. No login, no account settings, nothing.

Thoughts?

It's something of a pain in the backside, as now the People app isn't suggesting contact links. This is bothersome.

I wonder if this is related to updating the Twitter and Facebook apps.

I cannot add account types of Twitter for Friendstream or Facebook for Friendstream so it's a problem I can replicate, I'll check it out!

P

Guest carthesis

I wonder if this is related to updating the Twitter and Facebook apps.

I cannot add account types of Twitter for Friendstream or Facebook for Friendstream so it's a problem I can replicate, I'll check it out!

P

Now that's service! This is why I keep using MCRs! Thanks Paul.

Also, I've just tried to change the boot animation from the stock HTC one - I've ADB pushed the new bootanimation.zip to /data/local, but it's not showing up. Not tried pushing it to /system/media yet, but that's where it should have installed to as an update.zip from CWM.

Also, when you next revise the kitchen, it'd be awesome if you could add the option to remove the 'vibrate on startup' that the stock software does.

Other than that, the ROM is everything I've come to expect from your work. Many thanks.

Guest DistortedLoop

The only difference with the One X from other phones is that the HTCDev unlock doesn't unlock the boot image for flashing from within custom recovery, so you can do everything with CWM except flash the kernel, which must be fastboot flashed.