I managed to unlock a GEN3 Blade but i don't know how. Help me figure it out.

Guest Snap.IT

Guest Snap.IT

I bought a Blade a few days ago which was network locked to Comviq Sweden. Since i had read about how easy it was to unlock it via the various calculators available all over the net i thought i'd do that, it didn't work (of course). At this point i started reading up on the matter and using Blade Checker i discovered that it was indeed a GEN3 blade. :(

So i thought i'd at least put a decent ROM on it and went to check for CM7 and discovered that i had to downgrade the phone to GEN2 to do that.

I read up on how to do it and started the procedure, downloaded the GEN2 TPT (stock) and flashed it on the phone. This didn't work all that well, after reboot i was stuck at a blue screen with vertical white stripes on it, it was obvious that CWM was running since the stripes changed accordingly when i entered the various menues. Anyway, i thought i'd better fix it by flashing it back to GEN3 so i downloaded that one and flashed it on the phone, same result. At this point i was almost certain that i had bricked my phone.

Now i downloaded the TELE2 2.3.5 ROM to at least restore it to original so i could get it replaced and after reboot it was as good as new. Emboldened by the easy fix i set out to try a different method for flashing the TPT, following this guide:

Using a GEN2TPT (WBAW v9) gave the same results as before, but then i flashed the GEN3TPT and it booted up in CWM. I flashed the original CM7.2-RC2 and it booted up just fine but i had no network and the IMEI was gone. Now i used the Moldovian patch and the network and IMEI was back.

The next day i was going to try another network unlock code and inserted a SIM from a different operator (Telia) and when it booted up it didn't ask for an NCK code, it was unlocked. :D

Now, i don't know why that worked or HOW that worked but it did work, can someone please help me figure it out?

Guest Snap.IT

The Windows flashing will have unlocked it, its basically the same method used to unlock the ZTE Skate and others.

Ahhh, but how does it work? Does it have anything to do with cefs.mbn? Is the lock permanent or will it be restored if i flash an original rom?

Guest KonstaT

Yeah, I agree with Amphoras. It was the windows flash that did it. I actually recommended that to some people who wanted to unlock gen3 but never received any feedback if it worked or not. At least now we know. :)

It doesn't have anything to do with cefs.mbn and it can't be reversed in any way that I know of. It's similar to methods for Skate and Crescent.

Guest Snap.IT

Yeah, I agree with Amphoras. It was the windows flash that did it. I actually recommended that to some people who wanted to unlock gen3 but never received any feedback if it worked or not. At least now we know. :)

It doesn't have anything to do with cefs.mbn and it can't be reversed in any way that I know of. It's similar to methods for Skate and Crescent.

Yeah, i'd still love to know exactly what is happening when it removes the NCK lock, it would help greatly in determining how to unlock other phones. :)

I wrote a tutorial in Swedish on a forum on how to do this but i still don't know why or how it works nor do any other threads i've searched and read explain it. :(

Thank you for clearing up my misconception that cefs.mbn had anything to do with it, but what does cefs.mbn do?

Guest KonstaT

Sorry, I might actually have to take back what I said about cefs.mbn. :P cefs.mbn contains the NV memory items and it was the key to unlocking Skate.

If I remember correctly cefs.mbn is included in TPTs but isn't flashed along with other files. Windows flasher is the only way to flash cefs.mbn and since we don't have it from network locked device, there is no way to reverse the unlock.

There's couple of long unlocking threads at Skate forum that might give you some better info.

http://www.modaco.co...ge-monte-carlo/

http://www.modaco.co...-your-omcskate/

Guest Snap.IT

Sorry, I might actually have to take back what I said about cefs.mbn. :P cefs.mbn contains the NV memory items and it was the key to unlocking Skate.

If I remember correctly cefs.mbn is included in TPTs but isn't flashed along with other files. Windows flasher is the only way to flash cefs.mbn and since we don't have it from network locked device, there is no way to reverse the unlock.

There's couple of long unlocking threads at Skate forum that might give you some better info.

http://www.modaco.co...ge-monte-carlo/

http://www.modaco.co...-your-omcskate/

Thank you very much, i'll be sure to take a look at those threads for more info. :)

If something comes to mind, either from you or others i'd be more than happy to hear any theory on the subject. :)