SIM lock status

Guest PaulOBrien

Right guys time to settle down and to stop insulting each other, these pointless argument posts have been removed.

Now to answer the above

First off the phone is yours as you put it but will be locked to Orange if you bought it from Orange as it would have been at a subsidised rate, you get the phone cheaper and Orange get their money back on your call charges etc.

Most companies do have to pay for an unlock key this is why they generally charge you and so they pass the cost on to you with their commission on top. £20 is the average unlocking fee from most vendors and Internet unlocking sites.

Guest shootomanUK

Just spoke to orange customer services and they told me something interesting regarding sim unlock.

Once the three months have expired you can either buy the code from them (£20) or go to carphone warehouse and unlock it for £6.

I can't verify this myself (at least until 27th september), but anyone else who can should try it.

can't see carphone warehouse unlocking it, it has nothing to do with them.....them orange customer services don't know their arse from their elbow lol

• 3 weeks later...

For unlocking this is what I have tried so far...

* 2 local shops in Portsmouth and they admitted defeat...

*2 online unlocking services... The first, after a few hours, came back negative... The other one (30 Euros in France) I am still waiting for a response...

Only other option I can see is begging orange for an unlock code lol

Guest Frankish

The lack of instant sim unlock is the only thing stopping me from re buying this phone. It would be a beast with rooted xolo rom and a GiffGaff sim in it.

Guest DumonKri

I'm tempted to go to carphone warehouse and see if they can unlock it for me. I did try an orange shop but i obviously didn't know that they no longer do unlocking in the shop any more. The woman did say though because of my OSD it should be quicker than 28 days. I don't know what she meant by it though in regards to my OSD.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I was in Carphone Warehouse over the weekend and they confirmed they do not unlock phones... They just sell them unlocked...

They've certainly unlocked them previously.

Guest DumonKri

I was in Carphone Warehouse over the weekend and they confirmed they do not unlock phones... They just sell them unlocked...

No worries well I will cross check during the week with another Carphone Warehouse store not too far from me just in case I was given duff info...

I've sent them an email asking about it so hopefully that will clear things up as well ;) We've got to find a way!

Guest DumonKri

Hull is definitely not Midlands lol or is there two hulls?

Not as far as i know lol. Just glad there is one nearby to try. I'm going to head there today so i'll let you all know how i get on

Guest DumonKri

Ok so i went to carphone warehouse in Hull and the guy behind the desk told me they don't unlock phones any more because it voids the warranty. He pointed me in the direction of a guy who could do it for me but he wanted to keep hold of my phone which i wasn't too keen on as i had no come back if he decided to keep it. I did give him my number and told him to find out whether he can or not. He mentioned something about taking it to London where there were experts.

Guest DumonKri

That sounds really dodgy. Was that in St Stephens?

Yep, to be honest i don't think he would have stolen it and i was nearly desperate enough to do it, but the way he handled my phone put me off completely lol

I told him there was a lot of business for him if he could, so let's hope something happens.

Guest DumonKri

Can someone confirm that to unlock the phone ourselves the bootloader would have to be unlocked to flash a new CID number?

Can anyone who has had their phone unlocked by Orange tell me what they had to do/what details they had to provide over the phone? Thanks.

Edited by DumonKri

Guest DumonKri

Just got an orange sim through the post (I bought my OSD on ebay). In it is an offer for £30 credit if you transfer your number. This would cover you for the 3 months needed to get your unlock code from orange. Hope this may help someone.

Guest shootomanUK

Just got an orange sim through the post (I bought my OSD on ebay). In it is an offer for £30 credit if you transfer your number. This would cover you for the 3 months needed to get your unlock code from orange. Hope this may help someone.

did you order the sim from the internet or did they just send it you ?

could you give us the link if so because the only orange sim i can find gives you £5 when you top up £10

cheers