SIM lock status

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest BlueMoonRising

Dont go with Virgin! Crazy! GiffGaff is what you need. Unlimited internet, texts and calls to anyone else on giffgaff and 250mins to any network all for £12

If you use this link you also get £5 credit on top (My link) http://giffgaff.com/...filiate/dafunks

Been with them for quite awhile now and no issues apart from more cash in my pocket and great internet.

Oh and you get a micro sim also :)

Lol, £12 a month is a lot on a mobile for me, I'm a REALLY light user. While at work I can use a BT Fon router with my WiFi anyway.

I'm going to stay with Orange just for now I think since I get the free 500MB per month download limit just for buying the phone, I've still got 6 months worth of it left. I would also miss Signal Boost I think. As for GiffGaff they use the O2 network as far as I know and it's not great here(we're fairly rural), that said EE aren't brilliant(although definitely better) but with Signal Boost I can always get a signal somewhere.

Edit:- I've already unlocked it using an old Vodafone Mini Sim that the son had and cutting it down to Micro Sim size.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest King Conrad

Lol, £12 a month is a lot on a mobile for me, I'm a REALLY light user. While at work I can use a BT Fon router with my WiFi anyway.

I'm going to stay with Orange just for now I think since I get the free 500MB per month download limit just for buying the phone, I've still got 6 months worth of it left. I would also miss Signal Boost I think. As for GiffGaff they use the O2 network as far as I know and it's not great here(we're fairly rural), that said EE aren't brilliant(although definitely better) but with Signal Boost I can always get a signal somewhere.

Edit:- I've already unlocked it using an old Vodafone Mini Sim that the son had and cutting it down to Micro Sim size.

Check out this http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

It shows how much cheaper they really are. If your a light internet user then go for £10. Maybe they need a smaller internet package also. It is a community network so thats why its cheap... But i guess it is also internet usage driven as I think thats the community focus.

Guest BlueMoonRising

It's a competitive market, Virgin offer :-

Mobile SIM Only £7

• 150 minutes
  • Unlimited texts
  • 500MB Mobile Web

Starter SIM Only £10
    • 250 minutes
    • Unlimited texts
    • 1GB Mobile Web

Essential SIM Only £12

[*]1200 minutes

[*]Unlimited texts

[*]1GB Mobile Web

Using http://www.sitefinde...m.org.uk/search my home is 270m from the nearest Orange mast and 730m from a second(there is nothing else closer) whereas the next nearest is an O2 mast at 1.2Km distance. So given my now free choice I'm actually still best off with Orange/T-Mobile or Virgin. There is fair coverage all around town(just down the road) as well.

Edit:- actually there's 2 Orange masts at the 730m mark transmitting at different frequencies.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest Biohead

Giffgaff certainly isn't the be-all and end-all that it once was - there are some definite rivals to it nowadays.

I still use them however as they're cheaper than O2, but mainly because they also use their network - the newer 3G 900MHz network in particular. I live out in the sticks, so I've really been able to tell a difference when this went live. (Probably because O2's 3G network before they were allowed to do this was appalling).

Guest BlueMoonRising

I know the OSD supports 900MHz but does that include O2 s 3G900 service? Is it more effective indoors than the 1800MHz & 2100MHz signal I get around here?

Guest i am not a hacker

Personally, I would only go for a deal with truly unlimited internet. 1GB simply isn't enough. I use around 8GB month so I was lucky to get my t-mobile deal with unlimited internet a few weeks before they introduced the fair usage plan. Only £10 a month as well - 100 mins Unlimited texts Unlimited Internet Unlimited Landline calls. However, I bought this in 2010 just carried it on after the 24 months were finished.

I also got a free phone which I sold for £140 (Xperia U). So overall I paid £100 (240-140) for the entire contract.

So it is £2.50 a month for

• 100 mins
  • Unlimited Texts
  • Truly Unlimited Internet
  • Unlimited Landlines

If anyone is interested in a current contract, look at Ovivo Mobile. For a one off £15 payment, you get 100 mins, 100 texts, 400mb internet and the £15 credit to spend (8p/minute, 5p/text).

The 100 mins, 100 texts, and 400mb internet gets added on again every month. So it's a contract with a one off payment. There is also free Ovivo to Ovivo calls and texts.

My friend tried it and it works flawlessly. You will probably need to be unlocked though

Edited by i am not a hacker

Guest Biohead

The frequencies the AZ210 is capable of:

GSM (850/900/1800/1900)

UMTS/HSDPA (850/900/1900/2100)

HSPDA+ (850/900/1900/2100)

Which means it should be able to run on O2's 900MHz 3G network... until I get my OSD unlocked I can't confirm though.

In terms of coverage, I can be well inside a building and still get a 3G signal... which I wouldn't have done on 2100MHz in the slightest.

Guest teacake

My OSD works fine on virgin and with xolo updated rom. But still locked to orange. Unfortunately it will not work outside the UK and will not pick up other networks even T-mobile which since it can use t-mobile apn settings in UK is strange. Pitty it is away back to orange for a crap GPS and cracked bezel although less than two months old and well cared for.

Guest topcat07

Virgin mobile have changed there terms for all customers on unlimited plans depending on when you joined itvis either capped from 2.5gb or 3.5gb. This has really peed me off! Anyone know of truly unlimited data plans for this phone for under a 10er a month?

Guest brokebloke

The only unmetered unlimited data plan with tethering allowed is the One plan from Three "3" at £25 a month.

All pay as you go plans I have looked at don't allow tethering if you read the terms and conditions.

Virgin allow tethering on pay monthly plans but its subject to a fair usage.

Guest topcat07
The only unmetered unlimited data plan with tethering allowed is the One plan from Three "3" at £25 a month.

All pay as you go plans I have looked at don't allow tethering if you read the terms and conditions.

Virgin allow tethering on pay monthly plans but its subject to a fair usage.

28-01-2013 14:58 - edited ‎18-02-2013 16:41

From virgin mobile forums usage is now 2.5gb or 3.5gb depending on join date then speeds are dropped to 48kps

Hi all,

Following changes to our acceptable use policy, from 24 January 2013 new and upgrading Pay Monthly/Sim only Mobile customers will only be permitted to use their data allowance to access the mobile internet on their handset. This means you are not permitted to use your mobile as a modem to connect other devices to the internet, also known as 'tethering'.

Existing customers who have joined before 24 January are not affected by this change; but as previously mentioned whilst it may possible to tether on your mobile device, Virgin Media does not provide the technical support for tethering.

In addition, customers who joined after 25 June 2012 will see a change to the excessive usage threshold of our acceptable use policy. Like other mobile networks we sometimes have to review usage in order to ensure the majority of customers remain unaffected by the minority using high amounts of data. You can see the changes to the acceptable use policy here.

We hope this clarifies the situation on tethering for everyone. We'll keep this page updated with any changes should they arise.

Many thanks.

virgin mobile sim works, dont know if this has been said, but iv got a sim cut today and mine is working fine

:)

now just got to debrand , and root, if any one has full step by step instructions without the aio forum instructions as there confsuing me.....?

You're not going to find a contract with truly unlimited anymore for under 15 pounds

virgin mobile have a £!2 plan with unlimited data unlimited texts and 300 minutes

or £17 (my plan) unlimited data and text, with 1200 minutes

What's the one at 15 please? I am prepared to move for around that need the tethering for work

virgin mobile have a £12 plan with unlimited data unlimited texts and 300 minutes

or £17 (my plan) unlimited data and text, with 1200 minutes

also i teather constantly and have never experienced issues, nor had any extra charges, this is wifi teather to android tablet, its on all day at work been used, and my speed on speed test shows 6-8 mbps most times

scott

Guest topcat07

Thanks both please see the virgin mobile forum it is not unlimited anymore as I was on the same plans but for 8 quid. Once you hit 3.5gb your speed is now capped to around 300kps so I guess it is unlimited just your speed is capped

Guest BlueMoonRising

virgin mobile sim works, dont know if this has been said, but iv got a sim cut today and mine is working fine

:)

now just got to debrand , and root, if any one has full step by step instructions without the aio forum instructions as there confsuing me.....?

Already given them to you :- http://www.modaco.com/topic/358489-toolaio-tool-for-san-diego-and-xolo/page__st__1100#entry2095007, looks pretty straight forward to me... :huh:

Guest DJ.Fonic

RUNNING San Diego on VIRGIN media pay monthly.

BIG BIG Thanks to this forum to the person who posted that this phone works out of the box on Virgin!!

YES YES thats right just brought the phone form an EE shop 99 pounds plus a new orange micro sim that you do have to top up 10 pounds on, but hey no big deal! Charged the phone got my standard Virgin sim and got car phone warehouse to cut it down to micro sim size (free) poped it in and switched on phone. Message pops up do you want to down load Virgin settings press OK and thats it!!! £12 + vat permonth on virgin = 1200 mins, 5000 or maybe unlimited texts (can't remember), 1G data. You can change tarifs when ever you wish. They do one at £17 + vat with unlimited data!

As far as I know you can run it on Tmobile too.

Question is do you really need more than the 3 networks to run on this great quick phone?

Guest BlueMoonRising

If you live in my house you do. Unless you like walking 500m down the road to get a signal. J

In that case SignalBoost and Orange are your friends.