Orange San Diego Review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest probals

No. The Xolo X900 is identified as a different device to the San Diego in terms of ROMs so it would most likely need it's own forum somewhere.

I'm sure you guys will find a workaround. :-) The community is my most imp criteria for choosing a phone. So if the OSD ROMs dont work on the Xolo, it's a deal breaker for me. Guess I'll wait and watch. Thanks fibblesan and rem1x.

Guest Rem1x

I'm sure you guys will find a workaround. :-) The community is my most imp criteria for choosing a phone. So if the OSD ROMs dont work on the Xolo, it's a deal breaker for me. Guess I'll wait and watch. Thanks fibblesan and rem1x.

Hey, thank fibble, not me ;P But I think what he meant was, while they won't work directly, the littlest of work would need to be done to get ROMs to work on each other. AFAIK.

Guest UnbelievablyScrewed

Oh great now I'm getting seriously confused on what to get. Not too long ago the G300 came out and now this. My OSF is refusing to charge and I need a replacement! This phone looks ridiculously sexy with all that glossy front and hard-ish plastic back... and curved edges.

Ahhh.. curved edges.

What do you reckon, I go for this or buy the LG Optimus 3D which came out last year? Would it perform better than that? To be fair last year everyone was saying "Faster than ever" ... and now they're pretty slow :P

Guest aidanj

Oh great now I'm getting seriously confused on what to get. Not too long ago the G300 came out and now this. My OSF is refusing to charge and I need a replacement! This phone looks ridiculously sexy with all that glossy front and hard-ish plastic back... and curved edges.

Ahhh.. curved edges.

What do you reckon, I go for this or buy the LG Optimus 3D which came out last year? Would it perform better than that? To be fair last year everyone was saying "Faster than ever" ... and now they're pretty slow :P

i would go for the san diego personally (i have had one since the 6th). whilst the screen is smaller, it has a higher resolution - i personally could not go back to 800 x 480 after using the sd. it depends on your needs really - i would imagine the optimus3d can be rooted - if that is important to you, then it seems the 3d is the logical choice. th sd is lighter and smaller - although the 3d's screen is .3" bigger than the sd, you may find it harder to reach the top of the screen.

the sd fits nicely in the hand. oh, and if 16gb is not enough storage for you - then the 3d may be the way to go, if the sd's microsd's slot cannot be 'activated'. also, i would imagie battery life to be better on the sd than the 3d. if you do not plan on making use of the 3d's 3d screen/camera, then ... and if you do, i would imagine the novelty would wear off quickly. remember - cores are not everything.

Guest iam_smithers

Ahhh.. curved edges.

In terms of performance the Optimus 3D and San Diego are probably (though never having owned an Optimus 3D and never having seen benchmarks for it either I can only guess based on the spec of the processors) roughly comparable in terms of performance. Essentially the choice comes down to what network you want to use it on (if Orange or T-Mo, go for the San Diego, if anything else then the Optimus 3D) screen size vs screen resolution and probably the most crucial factor being whether you can live with the San Diego's lack of expandable storage.

The G300 is far less capable than the San Diego (which isn't to say it's a bad phone, it's just not got the same power behind it) but it is essentially the new ZTE Blade, so it has the community behind it, so as Tilal says, if you want to mod go for the G300.

whilst the screen is smaller, it has a higher resolution - i personally could not go back to 800 x 480 after using the sd.

I'm imagining that the Optimus 3D has the 800x480 res and to be fair it is irritatting when i try to change icons... So pixel density is of great importance to me.

i would imagine the optimus 3d can be rooted - if that is important to you, then it seems the 3d is the logical choice.

I am seriously hoping that the SD can be rooted. If there's absolutely no way then it would be an obvious deal breaker.

also, i would imagine battery life to be better on the sd than the 3d.

I hear the 3D's battery life is rather disappointing and I do get into more a lot of jiffies in a single day than a normal person would but I need that SD card slot! Especially since I have important docs that I like to port from phone to phone.

Call me a horder I guess :P

Edited by UnbelievablyScrewed

if you want to mod go for the G300.

Have to admit, I'm addicted to modding but the main thing that turned me off the G300 is the fact that it doesn't have a front facing camera and since the laptop is down (Yes I still have the old Dell computers from like 2005!) I can't live without having the handy camera for emergency chats. Plus I haven't gotten around to just buying a webcam as it's so difficult to find a good one ... especially at my lowly student budget :(

Guest iam_smithers

Topcashback also give £30.30 cashback on the phone. For £179.99 (Inc £10 top up) it's a seriously good device, way better than any other available for less than £200.

Guest DarkWanderer

i would imagie battery life to be better on the sd.

This is my concern with the OSD all my previous phones have had replaceable batteries so if it went flat I could pop a spare in (also means you can pull it out if it crashes :) ). What are peoples experiences of the OSD so far?

Guest Rem1x

This is my concern with the OSD all my previous phones have had replaceable batteries so if it went flat I could pop a spare in (also means you can pull it out if it crashes :) ). What are peoples experiences of the OSD so far?

With the battery, it's good, but if you leave it idling it's amazing! I was 5hrs down and still 100%

Guest kartouche

Got mine since few days, usualy i've go an HTC One S and I don't feel i've got a "cheap" phone with this san diego.

Realy good performances,even if it's a plasticky phone, not more than a HTC Desire or anything like that...

The screen is realy good, good colours, nice resolution, viewing angles aren't so awesome but it's nice. But the screen is not at all scratch resistant... already 2 big scratches on mine ...

By the way, you can easily find screen protector, Skinomi does one and you can find cheaper ones here : http://www.protectionfilms24.fr/recherche.html?searchfield=san+diego

Guest kartouche

I don't think so ... or maybe it is but all my devices with gorilla glass have scartches ... I don't find the gorilla glass eficient at all.

And I take care of my phones, every time I carry it, it's in my pocket, alone, no keys or anything else with it

Guest k0nrad

Maybe it's of Bonobo kind, not a real gorilla ;]

I'm stalking these forums and pondering, but really, for the first time I'm actually happy that I: 1) don't have enough money right now to buy any PAYG/usubsidized phone 2) can't get into a new contract till the end of Summer.

Hopefully the mobile waters will be less muddy in October!

Guest Matchstick

With the battery, it's good, but if you leave it idling it's amazing! I was 5hrs down and still 100%

That's interesting.

SWMBO is interested in a smartphone with good standby life and the numbers Orange were quoting (14 days standby) got her interest.

Course she's a Vodafone customer so she'd also need a SIM unlock ;)

Guest boristhespie

If it can't be rooted (I want sdcard slot) then I may look at this when it comes ZTE X LTE T82. Depending on cost.

Surprised not more people aren't interested in hacking a new chip/intel model as way of a challenge.

Guest brit07

love it!when you think it will be available to buy without contract?

Now ^_^ . I must say i have had mine for about 4 or 5 days now and its a really good phone a few apps are not compatible but after emailing certain app developers i found that most are going to have x86 support very soon. I to love flashing roms and trying experimental builds on my phones but if I have to wait months for root and boot loader hacks then so be it i still have a high performance phone which so far handles anything I throw at it which is a nice feeling just coming from the blade that was recently struggling to start the latest games never mind play them :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

This phone is a giant in the field at the moment. I've been running the phone for almost a month now and not once have I even had a FC.

It kicks it's predecessors in the arse. Cannot wait for root to see whats inside this beaut.

Coincidently there is also the AZ210B which is the French version of the San Diego.

Rumour has it that Mobistar will release the phone in Belgium somewhere in the next few months. However if the French version already has a different model number would it also be a complete different phone?

I just hope they keep out the orange stuff like they did with the SF to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...