Reasonable replacement for a Nexus One?

Guest mo_sjo

Guest mo_sjo

Could this be a reasonable upgrade from the original Nexus One? Slightly larger, similar weight, better screen (well higher resolution). I'm wondering if the CPU is likely to be faster though, 1.6ghz x86 vs 1ghz ARM?

I don't really like the huge size of the HTC One X, S3 etc. I just want something a bit faster (newer apps are bogging the N1 down these days). I also don't like the £500+ price tags!!

Guest mo_sjo

Yep, I'd say

But there'd be no update support from Google and theres no root method yet either

What do you mean by no update support from Google?

Guest Rem1x

What do you mean by no update support from Google?

I think he means google won't be doing the updates. But seeing as we have ICS in the pipeline, and the Nexus won't be getting any more updates, I think, that's not a problem :)

Guest mo_sjo

Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Are you saying there won't be any OTA updates for the San Diego?

Edited by mo_sjo

Guest Rem1x

Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Are you saying there won't be any OTA updates for the San Diego?

No, there will be. Just not from google. Which is a moot point, as only Nexus phones get updates from google.

Guest mo_sjo

Right, thanks for the clarification. This San Diego looks like it's filling a rather wide hole in the current offerings out there. Perhaps i'm missing something.

Guest Rem1x

Right, thanks for the clarification. This San Diego looks like it's filling a rather wide hole in the current offerings out there. Perhaps i'm missing something.

Well, I'm here to answer anything you want :)

Guest Rem1x

Thanks. Don't suppose you've tested CoPilot on it?

You'll have to wait for a map to download, but it appears to work!

EDIT: Actually downloading a map tells me the map is not found. Not sure if that's a problem with the app, my connection or the phone.

Edited by Rem1x

Guest iam_smithers
I'm wondering if the CPU is likely to be faster though, 1.6ghz x86 vs 1ghz ARM?

The Nexus One uses an older version of the Snapdragon processor so it's less powerful and fast than new phones with processors of the same clock speed, though the difference won't be absolutely massive. The San Diego's processor is significantly faster and more powerful, however, and that isn't merely due to the clock speed. As far as games and more graphics intensive apps are concerned, they'll run far better as the graphics processor on the San Diego is far more capable than that on the Nexus One. Plus it has a process advantage due to the fact that Med field processors use smaller chips certainly than older generation snapdragons and some newer generations of snapdragon too.

To cut a long story short, the Medfield processor in the San Diego is slightly more powerful than a 1ghz Tegra 2 and will deliver comparable performance as far as demanding graphics are concerned. Obviously, it won't beat the newer quad core processors and probably not the faster dual core processors either. Still, it's certainly more powerful than the Nexus One was and will be able to run the more graphical apps that would make your Nexus One slow down a bit.

If you can live with all of the slight disadvantages of the San Diego, such as the lack of expandable storage, it's a perfectly good upgrade for your Nexus One.

Guest mo_sjo

Interesting stuff. I've dropped Brodit an email to find out if they're going to do a proclip for it as that's a critical factor for me too.

I guess i'll have to visit an Orange shop over the weekend and have a play with one :)

Thanks guys..

Guest Spooke

Been a while since I've posted on here :)

Don't want to make another thread with a similar question so I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread lol..

I currently have a HTC Desire Z, yes it has ICS roms but the phone seems to struggle to run it smoothly - even OC'd to 1.8ghz lol

The roms are wip I know but the phone seems dated now and I'd like something that has a bigger screen and is just faster overall - I'm not bothered about some apps not working tbh.

Soo is this a worthy upgrade? should I wait till/if there's root and custom roms?

Thanks

Guest iam_smithers

If custom roms are important to you then for now I'd advise you hold off until we get root access and some custom ROMs come out. If you can live without those (bearing in mind you might have to live without them until you get another phone) then I would say go for it. It's a perfectly capable upgrade from the desire Z and if you will be happy with stock then it's a very good phone to go for.

Of course, even if you are happy to keep it on the stock rom, if you want to use it on a network other than orange or t-mo then definitely hold off until there is an unlock solution that doesn't involve you owning the phone for 3 months first.

Guest Spooke

If custom roms are important to you then for now I'd advise you hold off until we get root access and some custom ROMs come out. If you can live without those (bearing in mind you might have to live without them until you get another phone) then I would say go for it. It's a perfectly capable upgrade from the desire Z and if you will be happy with stock then it's a very good phone to go for.

Of course, even if you are happy to keep it on the stock rom, if you want to use it on a network other than orange or t-mo then definitely hold off until there is an unlock solution that doesn't involve you owning the phone for 3 months first.

Thanks for the reply,

Thinking about what you've said, I think I'll wait out until there is root - would only want a custom rom to be a stock version of android really, don't really like the orange-fied roms.

It does seem like a great upgrade as it has a larger screen and resolution, faster cpu + gpu?, more ram and a better camera (it seems :))

Thanks again though.