The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

OK!

I was brave / stupid enough to 'fastboot flash' a boot image. The device isn't bricked per se, but I can only load recovery / fastboot, the device won't boot normally. So, hopefully, it should be recoverable when an Orange update zip surfaces...

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Hmmm, resurrected by dead device by flashing the boot.bin from the Lava Xolo update. So they must share the same boot image signature.

P

Guest spences10

I noticed the images were called .bin in the factory download

Are you still able to unpack them in this format? Probably why nothing is booting with the .img extension, all stuff I'm sure you're aware of Paul :)

Guest PaulOBrien

Yes, we can unpack (i've unpacked a bunch of them) but not repack as they're signed.

We really could do with a bootloader unlock. :)

P

Guest .thalamus

I conclude from this that the boot images are signed...

P

I would expect so. From the info that I have found the trusted boot requires verification of signed images. I would hope that there would be a way to disable that though, aka 'unlocking' the bootloader.

Edited by .thalamus

Guest PaulOBrien

I think we should be able to get the (unbranded) Xolo ROM onto the device if we can find the full release in update zip format...

P

Guest spences10

Yes, we can unpack (i've unpacked a bunch of them) but not repack as they're signed.

We really could do with a bootloader unlock.

P

lol, I did try oem unlock, just says waiting for device :(

actually when i use the correct id! -i 0x8087 it says FAILED (remote: unknown OEM command)

Edited by spences10

Guest PaulOBrien

The SD appears to have a switch so it can tell when the back cover is off.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have any effect on what you can do in bootloader etc.

P

Guest spences10

My device shows up as a Xolo X900 in USB settings now.

P

From flashing that 10mb update?

Is that where the logo.img came from?

Guest PaulOBrien

No, from flashing just the boot.bin. You can't flash the whole thing.

No, I grabbed the logo.img from another file. Not found the original Orange one anywhere mind!

P

Guest UnbelievablyScrewed

Intel badly need some developer support for x86 Android, and what do we get? Locked down phones running Gingerbread.

From everything I've read it sounds like a decent phone, the price is right, but they've dropped the ball on the software side.

Hardware wise this could be THE phone for hacking right now; a fast CPU, NFC, state-of-the-art image processor, HDMI, good screen, lots of RAM, and potentially very interesting x86 Linux/Android software (Intel has done a lot of Linux work).

Anyway, good luck to those of you working to prize it open.

Agreeing to disagree with you on that point. Don't forget that Intel NEED to be able to make a profit from whom they're selling their devices to. As seen with the OSF with people buying the phone then unlocking it and carrying on to another network, Orange might have had the sales pitch on the phones going up but the gain from people using their network dropped. Therefore they probably did specifically tell Intel to do as much as possible to prevent the phone from being rootable/unlocked, thus giving a higher chance that customers use the Orange services that did probably cost a bit to produce.... And they get to make a bigger profit.

I'm only guessing this and it may just appear I'm chatting out of my backside. Though looking at the site now, there are no original OSFs in stock (probably because they're rather out of date... but still!)

Sorry I can't be of any actual help :/ I understand most of what you're saying Paul, but somethings just sound like you're speaking Spanish :P

Guest spences10

Agreeing to disagree with you on that point. Don't forget that Intel NEED to be able to make a profit from whom they're selling their devices to. As seen with the OSF with people buying the phone then unlocking it and carrying on to another network, Orange might have had the sales pitch on the phones going up but the gain from people using their network dropped. Therefore they probably did specifically tell Intel to do as much as possible to prevent the phone from being rootable/unlocked, thus giving a higher chance that customers use the Orange services that did probably cost a bit to produce.... And they get to make a bigger profit.

I'm only guessing this and it may just appear I'm chatting out of my backside. Though looking at the site now, there are no original OSFs in stock (probably because they're rather out of date... but still!)

Sorry I can't be of any actual help :/ I understand most of what you're saying Paul, but somethings just sound like you're speaking Spanish :P

Cool story br0! :P

Guest Mtman1

Wow. I never thought I'd change my mind on this, but this made me think of it differently

Oh yeah, I agree about Paul speaking Spanish :P

Edited by Mtman1

Guest TEOKGaming

Can't add much to this other than to say I really hope you can find a way of cracking this thing open. It's an awesome-looking phone that is actually within my price range, but I just can't go for it if aftermarket ROMs will be an impossibility.

Guest fradleyp

The beauty of the San Fran was you started it all off with your kitchen and it snow balled form there, only popping back when things went a bit quiet. I think I may have acted too soon, especially seeing the S3 on a £24 p/m contract.

I haven't looked into hacking phones as there has been more talented people like yourself. Is there no way of using the micro sd to find a way in or using a usb like the PS3